Question: Mod conflicts

Dasistgutja

Hi all.

I was wondering how exactly mods conflict. For example, if I changed the location of an item in a certain cell, and saved that as and .esp, but I also used a mod that deleted an NPC in that cell, would that conflict?

Also, if I changed the weight of a certain item, and another mod altered its cost or content, would that conflict?

Basically what I'm asking is does the game only overwrite specific bits of data, or does it overwrite categories of data?

Cheers for the help in advance.

Conflicts might come in all shapes and flavors. From the totally physical, case a file from a mod overwrites files from another (this does not happen with the BSA format from WS but because of it may be a lot harder to deal with) to subtly, almost subrepticious features.

It can happen from two mods changing properties of a same object. Two or more mods modifying leveled lists or spawning points. World objects totally or partially overlapping at same cell.

The list of possible conflicts is huge, ranging from cells to scripts. Some can be solved simply changing the load order, some can deadlock the game, some need patches so to be possible to use particular changes from two or more mods without losing totally the functionality of some of them.

Edit: To the specific question, yes ... the game treats the object as a whole and the changes introduced by the first are lost. This is a common conflict which can happen in a higher level too, as the case of containers, for example when two or more mods changes merchant's inventory.

PS: This kind of conflict can be securely dealt (the properties merged) by utilities like Wrye Bash, in it's bashed patch. Just that some conflicts are too subtle or just can't be automatically managed, like conflicts introduced by scripts.

A final word: As from the incoming official patch the changes in the load order mechanics will turn void or inaccurate many of the previous ways to deal with conflicts, most utilities will quickly adapt to the changes but a "gray time" may occur until the consequences of those changes are fully verified in the possible pitfalls. Still it may be deemed a positive change in the big picture.

Edited by nosisab

Awesome, cheers.

One more question, if I may.

When adding some stuff in the CK, I'd accidentally "edit" a cell. Nothing was changed in it, maybe I just placed an object then removed it as an afterthought, but in the UI it still shows the little * next to the cell name, indicating a change.

Would this cell override any other mod that edited it? So should I remake the mod without touching the cell?

• 1 month later...

Awesome, cheers.

One more question, if I may.

When adding some stuff in the CK, I'd accidentally "edit" a cell. Nothing was changed in it, maybe I just placed an object then removed it as an afterthought, but in the UI it still shows the little * next to the cell name, indicating a change.

Would this cell override any other mod that edited it? So should I remake the mod without touching the cell?

You can remove the changes without remaking the mod. Bring up the 'Open Plugin' dialog, set your file to be the active file, and then hit the 'Details' button. This brings up a list of all the records that are contained in the .esp, just select the ones you don't want (in this case, they'll be of the 'CELL' type) and hit delete. It will ask if you want to ignore the records, say yes and save the plugin. That should purge the changed cell record.

You can also do it using TES5Snip or Wyre Bash, which is quicker and easier if you know what you're doing.