Skyrim CTD

boboteabaggins

Good evening everyone! I have been at this for 2 days now, ever since the Nvidia's patch 295.73 came out and now Skyrim's update on top of that. I feel like I am getting a little out of my league trying to solve this, so I am asking for some expert help. First I am running Windows 7 pro 64 bit. I will add a pic of specs. I do have my game heavily modded as well. How ever I did not have any problems prior to update.

I keep CTD every time, just outside of Whiterun, looking at the mountain and farm owned by the Gray manes or other family. Any help on what to change would be really helpful. Specs Below :)

For what its worth whenever there is an update you have to hold your breath and hope it doesn't bork anything if you have a lot of mods. Any update could cause some mod to start conflicting when it worked perfectly fine before. I have had this happen many times. The last update made it so I could not fast travel anywhere. All the loading screens worked fine except fast travel. I traced it back to an older mod I had and as soon as I disabled it the game returned to normal stability.

The mod was a rune mod and had nothing to do with fast travel but fast travel is what got borked. Maybe it was the mod, maybe it was the mod conflicting with another mod, I do not know I just know it worked perfectly fine until the update then it did not. Removing the mod solved the issue.

It is a painful process to find the problem child but you have to do it one at a time to eliminate them as the issue. You can also visit the comments section of each of the mods to see if anyone else is reporting an issue. If someone else all of a sudden is saying that the mod makes their game crash, that would be a good mod to start with to see if the update borked it. Good luck.

I keep CTD every time, just outside of Whiterun, looking at the mountain and farm owned by the Gray manes or other family. Any help on what to change would be really helpful. Specs Below :)

No guarantees this will work but when a particular area was giving me trouble (for some reason, it's usually around Riften, and at one point, Windhelm), this is what I've tried that worked on occasion:

- Temporarily disable any mods that add more NPCs, wildlife, enemies (etc) or any mods that modify spawn rates etc... Also disable any mods which globally affect the behaviour of the world space. e.g. Possessive Corpses.

Reload Skyrim. If it doesn't CTD, re-save to a new save file, quit, then re-enable those mods (if desired) and reload the new save game.

I've also tried the following (sometimes in combination with the above suggestion) with some success:

- If Skyrim gives you a few moments before it CTDs, as opposed to instant CTDs, fast travel or use the console command "COC" to travel to any interior location.

Sleep or wait in that location for 24 game world hours, then exit that interior location. Upon entering the exterior worldspace, call up the console and type "pcb" to purge cell buffers.

Don't COC or fast travel directly into the troublesome area. Fast travel to some neighbouring location, then travel into it the affected area on foot. If you don't crash, create a new save file, exit and reload using the new save file.

Yes it can be. Thats what makes it fun! :)

Another thing to look with that many mods is redundancy. If you have many mods that do similar things there is a greater chance for conflicts. For instance say you have 4 mods that make large changes to the magic system. One could now be conflicting with an other. This would also be a good area to start with. Uncheck all 4 and see if your game returns to normal. If it does then try them one at a time to see if you can narrow it down. Good luck.