Crippling Weapon

Scourgor

Hey there.

I'm relatively new to the Creation Kit, besides basic things such as editing perks and settlement boundaries. I've recently set my sights on making a new weapon though. Simply put, its function would be to deliver minimal, or perhaps even zero damage, but to instantly cripple whichever limb or body part or whatever is targeted in VATS, in one shot. Would this be possible?

Particular reasons for this would be to hit the fusion core in Power Armor wearing foes, and disable it instantly, making them eject from their suit, but causing, as I said, very little, or even no damage if possible, to the victim. Or a similar situation with crippling the acid spouts of a Mirelurk Queen.

I tried creating a new version of the Flare Gun, since I'd like it to be something similar, along with creating a duplicated version of the "Cripple" legendary effect, but modified so that the cripple effect is set to 100 (I assumed this meant 100% cripple chance). I then added this effect to the modified Flare Gun, along with setting the base damage to 0 and the enchantment window to 1. However, while it seemed to deliver no damage to targets in testing, it also failed to produce any noticeable limb damage to the targeted area.

Does anyone know where I went wrong? Any help will be very much appreciated in advance, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

The cripple legendary effect is a little more complex than it seems. From what I can tell, that effect actually gives your player a perk and that perk is what does all the limb damage. Take a look at the "ModLegendaryCommonPerk" perk and the "mod_Legendary_Weapon_DamageLimb" object mod in the CK, these show how it all works. To achieve a similar effect what you'll want to do is create your own perk with its own "Mod Outgoing Limb Damage" entry point. To get it to always cripple, you'll want to put the function part of the perk to "set value" and the number to 100. There will still be some enemies you cannot cripple (for example, I'm pretty sure you can't cripple any parts of a Mirelurk Queen) but that ought to work for you - although it won't distinguish between shots in and out of VATS. To be fair though, I can't think of a way to do that anyway). You may also need to play around with the value in your perk - 100 is the amount of health any given limb will have, but I don't know if you'll need to also factor in damage resistances - so if it doesn't immediately work, that's the most likely reason why. Of course if you find that limbs are not taking any damage at all, you might need to try something different.

Good luck!

Edited by Jojash

Hey, I just checked this out, and I've got it to work now, though by editing the current perk, and it works just as intended, thanks! I just need to test this out with a new mod, and I may be able to perfect it.

Thank you very much for your help, it was invaluable, and I didn't have a clue why it wasn't working. If I can get this working now, I may upload the mod to the Nexus if anyone else wants it. Thanks again!