3DS Max animation editing issue

CylonSurfer

Hi all

I'm having a rather strange issue with animations (3rd person player) I'm editing in 3DS Max 2012. Basically I adjust the animation to how I want it then export it using the Niftools plugin. In 3DS Max everything looks great, the animation plays fine and the model looks great. However when I use the edited animation in Skyrim the character arms are all messed up, twisted, deformed etc.

Does anyone have any tips or info on how I can prevent this?

Let me explain this problem a little better.

I'm editing the animation 1hm_1stp_run in 3DS Max 2012 using the KF importer V3.7.3. and follow the step found here (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Working_with_animations_in_Skyrim) to import my Skeleton.nif and 1hm_1stp_run.kf into 3DS max 2012.

I import my Skeleton.nif into Max then the 1hm_1stp_run animation. I then edit the animation (raise the upper body position), when I have it as I like, I export the finished animation and use hkxcmd to convert the .KF into a .hkx again.

I load Skyrim with my edited animation in place and everything appears great apart from 2 problems. The left and right hands/arms with items equipped deform. The best example of this is when the player has a shield equipped, the sheild seems to rotate 180 degrees (so the front of the sheild is facing the character) in an un-natural way also causing the arm and hand to twist and distort. If I un-equip the shield the animation looks fine again with the arm and hand in the correct positions.

The same is also true for the right hand if I equip a sword etc.

Any ideas as to what is causing this bug or how I can approach fixing it? I've looked everywhere and spent many hours tryng to figure this out for myself with no luck :(

Edited by CylonSurfer

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
ok i know this is an old ass forum topic but i was browsing and figured id reply. ok so it sounds like you didnt properly key the animation. skyrim requires every frame to be keyed for all bones. so one way to do this is select all bones, then go to animation>save animation and name it wtvr u want, check key segment then key per frame and if there are 60 frames for example u want it to be 0 in first box and 60 in second box, then save. but this seems to still have problems in game with some animations so what i do is select all bones. then starting with frame 1, press k for key, then press period to move to next frame, then k again, and rinse and repeat til the end of the animation. i can do this remarkably fast now lol. its a pain but its the only way i get my animations to work in game without deforming at all. btw im adjusting sneak animations to prevent weapon clipping into leg, but in game, the camera jumps up while playing that animation. cant figure out why. anyway, hoped i help.