Trying to immerse myself into skyrim

vortexhlp

I don't mean full-time obviously, I'm just trying to get into the lore since I've tested the waters before for say... 120+hours. I started a new game and am just enjoying things this time around. Wood chopping, mining, incredibly hard Ai (like the hard dragon mod), realistic running etc etc...

I was wondering how do you guys immerse yourself into the game? Do you just do side-quests or do you literally run from one end of the map to the next? Do share your experiences leaving out spoilers for others of course :)

Going to copy my post from a thread in the Bethsoft forums from awhile back, it pretty much covers what i do.

" Here's what i do pretty much.

Walk in towns and on main roads. only sprint for short distances when need to, run when in fights.

Eat, drink, sleep. i do use the more complex needs mod on the nexus so it goes into great detail.

I use Hypothermia mod. really nice immersion there too. ( i also use timescale 5 )

Read every book and stack book shelves.

Do not use every skill, i limit myself to the certain build/roleplay. for instance i'm currently roleplaying an Altmer pure mage that came from Morrowind. i do not use smithing at all because it's out of my abilities and such. same goes with weapons and armor, i do not use them at all.

Actually immerse into the conversations in the game, i do not skip the convo for any reason ( even to sell items )

i be sure to get my exercise by running around towns or holds for 10 minutes. i also challenge myself to walk from Solitude to Riften at least once a week.

Pick every plant and flower to mess around with alchemy to learn new things for my craft, same goes with enchanting.

I never join every faction/guild, i only limit myself to the player. since i'm a pure mage, i started out in the Mages College ( i use the "Live another Life mod ) he does not know how he feels about the Dark brotherhood though, been getting dark feelings so i think deep down he knows he loves Sithis.

You can also choose a religion so to speak, by picking a god or lord to worship if you so choose, or if you decide to be an atheist and do not believe in them or hate them for past reasons in your back story?

If you do choose to worship somebody, be sure to visit the shrines and temples atleast once a week or however many times you would like.

If you feel bad for the poor, toss em a few septims. or food/drinks.

Use a realistic lighting mod, for instance, brighter days and darker nights/caves/dungeons etc...actually makes sense to use torches/candle light spells etc. plus it looks awesome!

I never fast travel either.

I disabled health regeneration too.

Actually for the fast travel and health regen i use a program called "Automatic Batch File Execution - ZAutoExec by Kvalyr" which can be found on the Nexus.

What this does is starts a console command on startup of a save file. so therefore when i load my game, it disables health regen and fast travel ( can also be used for TONS of other things too )

Use the Immersive HUD mod, i use it and love it, the way i use mine has everything disabled and love it so much!

Use the Water FX mod which adds water effects when you get wet.

Use the Killable children mod ( a huge immersion breaker to have dragons kill entire towns and leave a stupid kid alive ) or can sacrifice children to Sithis, as a type of roleplay

Try to roleplay as a vampire/werewolf, that is if you plan on getting turned.

You could also play 'Dead is Dead' it's pretty fun to do.

Now this next part may not be for you but i do the following also.

Master difficulty 24/7

uncapped levels and skill levels ( no more 81 and 100 caps )

Deadly Dragons maxed settings

PISE ( most settings )

Deadlier traps

Wars in Skyrim

WARZONES

A few ' sounds of Skyrim : ******* mods <--i used **** because there are a few, simply adds more sounds to the game, more immersion feel too!

use the Dragon remains mod on the nexus. this stops dragons from turning into skeletons after you kill them. makes sense too. i love it!

There's a TON of things you can do to immerse yourself and roleplay!

P.S. i only listed some of the main mods i use. i actually have over 100. and they all work perfect together.

P.P.S for more immersion with the hypothermia mod, i would use the better snow/dynamic snow mods, and get the more snow mod too! i use the 150% esp on it. makes blizzards so fun and realistic!

Oh and to mix with the snow stuff i said, get the heavy rain mod too. it looks much better. and the Immersive Skryim Thunder mod ( can find it on the Nexus, same as all these i have said ) "

Edited by PsYchotic666Joker

@PsYchotic666Joker

Holy s***, thats some intense immersion! I'm half tempted to try, but... that seems a bit too time consuming, and may make the game feel tedious. I may give it a shot after my 2nd run-through, and after this semester.

As with any new open world game I try to just try to get a feel for the game environment as a whole, not just focusing on 1 quest line to completion and then to the next, but more or less stumble about and let the experience take me, so to speak. Meaning start out and go to the first settlement\dungeon or point of interest as I wish, then I realize I'm already carrying a ton of loot, so I start looking to sell generic items first, then try to find the first player storage unit (AKA player home) to dump all my soon to be collected loot I wish to hold on to. After I have a home then the real fun begins and I try to put the major map markers on my map for future fast travel. After that I may take a fewer of what feels as minor\side quests for further exploratory purposes\ map markers, mixing other quests and dungeons when ever all the time trying to raise skills\ levels as so not to be skeever bait from such a low amount of health\ magica\ stamina etc.. Once level grinding enough to a comfortable level well, who knows... But that's just the beginning of the first play through, upon the second and after I already pretty much know all the quests, points of interest, abilities, etc. and it's more a straighter line of thought as in I'm going here, and doing that, and then this...

But that's just my 2 cents...

Currently spending a lot of time simply walking around exploring & not bothering with quests - finding plenty to keep me busy as it is as I'm spending a lot of time outside of built up areas.

Eat twice a day, sleep at night & now using the camping & health mods for more realism (forget their names but check Nexus). I don't use fast travel but will occasionally travel by cart.

I've also written a substantial back history for my PC, and will never do anything that is out of character for him. He's being groomed to be the next Head of the Vigilants of Stendarr, so basically he will always help those weaker than himself, & will destroy evil wherever he finds it.

I've got about 50 mods installed, primarily to make the game look & sound better to improve immersion, plus improved combat & the camping & health mods mentioned above. This all gives me a Role Playing experience which is far more satisfying than simply tracking through endless dungeons killing Draugr & skeletons!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Beoroth

@PsYchotic666Joker

Holy s***, thats some intense immersion! I'm half tempted to try, but... that seems a bit too time consuming, and may make the game feel tedious. I may give it a shot after my 2nd run-through, and after this semester.

Yea i thought that at first considering i'm very impatient with pretty much anything. but i really enjoy this. at times it feels like it's soooo slow but i manage cause i forget about things and immerse myself into it.

Come to think about it. not very tedious at all. just a few things you must get use to. but after it gets easy.

Wouldn't believe how often i just take in the sites while exploring or just roaming the tundra.

P.S. some new mods out that i saw are fun to use. is the campfire mods that allow you to buy campsites and other things to take with you. pretty fun. and the deployable traps mod is nice for those ranger types :)

What you need to do is get an ambient sound replacer, like Sounds of Skyrim. That'll make your long walks much less boring.

It'd be nice if somebody could make something for people to do as they walk. In fantasy books, the walking is a good time for intriguing conversation, but in Skyrim this is sadly not the case. I shall have to think about that...

I generally walk everywhere for role-playing. I stay off the roads though, since I wouldn't use roads and they're no safer anyway in Skyrim. I also carry around miscellaneous clutter objects to help define myself. For example, I paint in my physical life. I therefore carried around paint brushes, brush jars, paper, and paint palettes in Oblivion. Sadly, Skyrim doesn't have as many random clutter objects.

Those are great ideas, in fact I do most of what PsYchotic666Joker does. However, I skip convos if I died more than twice and have to listen to the same crap a third time. Deadly dragons mod is the best mod I've added, however it was too difficult when I encountered my first two dragons (literally could not damage it or have enough supplies to kill it. An impossibility really).

If I get lazy, I will use the caravan to travel (no fast travel in that regard) but I'll only do this if I am trying to complete a dozen quests scattered around skyrim and just want to do something else ASAP. I installed a dozen of graphical mods, 4K is pretty great, camping, hypothermia, weapon texture and meshes upgrade, realistic lighting with HDR and camera effects. I even have children killable and the complete nude mod because I like knowing it's possible and that alone allows me to immerse.

I'm still waiting for a good 1st person mod though where running and fighting is more realistic on par with maybe battlefield 3 or something. There exists one but it's way too wobbly and nobody fights by looking up and down etc unless they get knocked in those directions. It would be nice if the running animation stayed the same but fighting was reduced by about 95% of what that mod has. Until that comes out though, I think I'll feel empty. lol