Trying to immerse myself into skyrim

vortexhlp

How do you choose your character? That can be a good starting point to choosing what to do next-- an anti-social character might actually steer clear of all the cities; a bibliophile might deliberately collect all the books s/he could get hold of; an aspiring alchemist might hire a mercenary for protection while s/he scours the countryside for ingredients, and so on.

I like to strap a flattened garbage can and wear a pot on my head while I play, while playing Wagner opera's really loudly in the background.

To really immerse myself, I will even strap 13 live cats to my body and take a cold shower to really 'feel' the combat effects.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to strap a flattened garbage can and wear a pot on my head while I play, while playing Wagner opera's really loudly in the background.

To really immerse myself, I will even strap 13 live cats to my body and take a cold shower to really 'feel' the combat effects.

Try live wolves instead of cats. More realistic.

Going to copy my post from a thread in the Bethsoft forums from awhile back, it pretty much covers what i do.

" Here's what i do pretty much.

Walk in towns and on main roads. only sprint for short distances when need to, run when in fights.

Eat, drink, sleep. i do use the more complex needs mod on the nexus so it goes into great detail.

I use Hypothermia mod. really nice immersion there too. ( i also use timescale 5 )

Read every book and stack book shelves.

Do not use every skill, i limit myself to the certain build/roleplay. for instance i'm currently roleplaying an Altmer pure mage that came from Morrowind. i do not use smithing at all because it's out of my abilities and such. same goes with weapons and armor, i do not use them at all.

Actually immerse into the conversations in the game, i do not skip the convo for any reason ( even to sell items )

i be sure to get my exercise by running around towns or holds for 10 minutes. i also challenge myself to walk from Solitude to Riften at least once a week.

Pick every plant and flower to mess around with alchemy to learn new things for my craft, same goes with enchanting.

I never join every faction/guild, i only limit myself to the player. since i'm a pure mage, i started out in the Mages College ( i use the "Live another Life mod ) he does not know how he feels about the Dark brotherhood though, been getting dark feelings so i think deep down he knows he loves Sithis.

You can also choose a religion so to speak, by picking a god or lord to worship if you so choose, or if you decide to be an atheist and do not believe in them or hate them for past reasons in your back story?

If you do choose to worship somebody, be sure to visit the shrines and temples atleast once a week or however many times you would like.

If you feel bad for the poor, toss em a few septims. or food/drinks.

Use a realistic lighting mod, for instance, brighter days and darker nights/caves/dungeons etc...actually makes sense to use torches/candle light spells etc. plus it looks awesome!

I never fast travel either.

I disabled health regeneration too.

Actually for the fast travel and health regen i use a program called "Automatic Batch File Execution - ZAutoExec by Kvalyr" which can be found on the Nexus.

What this does is starts a console command on startup of a save file. so therefore when i load my game, it disables health regen and fast travel ( can also be used for TONS of other things too )

Use the Immersive HUD mod, i use it and love it, the way i use mine has everything disabled and love it so much!

Use the Water FX mod which adds water effects when you get wet.

Use the Killable children mod ( a huge immersion breaker to have dragons kill entire towns and leave a stupid kid alive ) or can sacrifice children to Sithis, as a type of roleplay

Try to roleplay as a vampire/werewolf, that is if you plan on getting turned.

You could also play 'Dead is Dead' it's pretty fun to do.

Now this next part may not be for you but i do the following also.

Master difficulty 24/7

uncapped levels and skill levels ( no more 81 and 100 caps )

Deadly Dragons maxed settings

PISE ( most settings )

Deadlier traps

Wars in Skyrim

WARZONES

A few ' sounds of Skyrim : ******* mods <--i used **** because there are a few, simply adds more sounds to the game, more immersion feel too!

use the Dragon remains mod on the nexus. this stops dragons from turning into skeletons after you kill them. makes sense too. i love it!

There's a TON of things you can do to immerse yourself and roleplay!

P.S. i only listed some of the main mods i use. i actually have over 100. and they all work perfect together.

P.P.S for more immersion with the hypothermia mod, i would use the better snow/dynamic snow mods, and get the more snow mod too! i use the 150% esp on it. makes blizzards so fun and realistic!

Oh and to mix with the snow stuff i said, get the heavy rain mod too. it looks much better. and the Immersive Skryim Thunder mod ( can find it on the Nexus, same as all these i have said ) "

I knew that I wasn't the only person that played this way! I always feel that so many players are missing out on all the adventure and beauty that Skyrim has to offer.

p.s. our only difference: I use the better horses and horses for followers. They walk everywhere of course. But I wish that I had to feed and properly care for them. If anyone knows of a MOD that does that let me know. (Thanx for the more snow MOD tip. Looks like blizzards on the radar tonight :dance: )

I'm another who uses the "need to eat\drink\sleep" mods, alongside camping, dark nights, realistic timescale, and no fast traveling. I have no problem using the carriages if it fits into my roleplay, but so far I haven't tried out a wealthy character, and because I have a mod that increases the carriage prices it's far too expensive for my current char to even consider. She wouldn't be likely to waste money on something so frivolous even if she could afford it. She's still trying to save up enough to buy two horses and every clipped coin counts.

Too, saving up 10,000 gold is taking considerably longer than I, the player, realized it would. I suppose I wasn't thinking how much of my usual income comes from alchemy; this is the first character I've played who thinks all that ingredient gathering and potion mixing stinks of scholars and magery, and she prefers to earn her living by the sword. So no incoming gold from selling off potions. That, and in my personal play style I find it unrealistic to clear out a dungeon and emerge carrying three suits of looted iron armor, a dozen helmets, couple pairs of boots plus four or five greatswords and looted bows. I typically only loot things that are small, lightweight and valuable - or, if I stumble over an extremely valuable but cumbersome suit of enchanted armor, or some such, I'll stash it somewhere safe near the dungeon and come back for it later.

These methods have wonderful roleplaying value if you have fun with hardcore immersion, but I totally understand how the self-imposed limitations could be frustrating or tedious at times. Without alchemy or rampant looting it's damned hard to earn coin in Skyrim at low levels. My character takes every "pointless" firewood-chopping job that's offered, because that extra handful of gold means she and Lydia can stay at the local inn instead of camping outside the city walls, and not lay awake all night wracked with guilt over how much this luxury is costing.

The original plan was to save until they could purchase two decent mounts, but at this point it's seeming like a better idea to buy a cheap packhorse as soon as they can afford to, and either lead the animal or take turns riding. This way they could cart off a great deal more loot from battles, not to mention being able to buy provisions for a week or more at the start of a journey instead of trying to live off the land - frequently dry, frozen tundra and treacherous mountain passes. There've been many nights spent camped in such terrain, huddled close to the fire for warmth and eating stale bread with none-too-fresh water from a skin filled at the last stream several days ago. At such times a Nord warrior's thoughts drift inevitably towards... alcohol, of course. A good draught of strong whiskey to warm the belly, or at least a cup of ale or watered wine. If your provisions for the journey are limited to what you can carry on your back, it's beyond foolhardy to take along heavy bottles of drink when the land is crisscrossed by sources of fresh flowing water. A packhorse, though, with a packhorse you could easily tuck a few extra wineskins into the saddlebags...

Well, anyway. My best secret for true immersion is the fact that my PC's "monitor" is a 42" flatscreen television. I sit a few feet away in a comfortable chair, turn off all the lights and put on my headphones. In the dark room my entire field of vision is what's on the large screen, and all I can hear are the sounds of Skyrim. I love it. Although there have been a few incidents when I'm deep in a dungeon full of draugr, adrenaline flowing and nerves on full alert, when suddenly I sense movement out of the corner of my eye and shift my glance to see a pair of glowing eyes in the darkness. It's possible that a minor little girly shriek has been emitted before the owner of the eyes prances forward to reveal its flop ears and little stub tail vibrating a mile a minute, and then sits down and looks longingly at me in full-on "I'm sooooo hungry mommy, look how cute I am, I love you mommy, and I'm soooo hungry..." mode.

The thing which REALLY annoys me within Skyrim is that game game all ways revolves around the PC, i went into 'tfc' mode and flew around a city and almost every NPC which passed me engaged me in conversation, i would rather NPCs talk to each other which happened a lot more in Obvlion seeing as these are friends/acquaintances and not just some stranger who stops by the town every now and then..

Most of the mods i have installed so far are immersion based, such as busier cities, darker nights, realistic ragdoll effects etc. The sounds of Skyrim modules are really great as well as they bring sounds to the game which should have been in to start with.. the upcoming 'civilization' module will add more city noices and music and chatting in the taverns which i think will liven the boring places up a bit more!

I havnt even used the 'activities' such as woodcutting, mining etc as i dont see these as a 'job' and immersion seeing as you sell it and nothing happens, HOWEVER if Bethesda would have included the ability to change a regions economy etc like mentioned this would have really turned it for me (a sort of Fable choices system.)

Edited by GoodfellowGoodspring

• 2 months later...

The thing which REALLY annoys me within Skyrim is that game game all ways revolves around the PC, i went into 'tfc' mode and flew around a city and almost every NPC which passed me engaged me in conversation, i would rather NPCs talk to each other which happened a lot more in Obvlion seeing as these are friends/acquaintances and not just some stranger who stops by the town every now and then..

Maybe this one could be something for you...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281/

Compared to some, my things are pretty tame. The most severe is self-imposed; if my characters die, they're dead and I start a new game. Yes, I've actually restarted this game close to sixty times now. I have generic 1st level Bretons (I seriously want a good mage) in Riverwood saved just for this. It is getting old now, so I might save some low level guys in Whiterun to avoid the repetitive start. I only use carriages to fast travel and I recently put in my first mod, Filling Food and Restful Sleep. I disable all regenerations with that mod and have to eat/drink to restore magicka/health/stamina. Not exactly what I wanted, but better than vanilla. I only take in-class perks for skill/crafting and normal skill leveling has to do for all the other areas. For instance, I wanted a full-on destruction mage so I only took perks in Destruction and Enchanting for about 30 levels. Works surprisingly well for mages and you end up with saved perks in case your character wants to branch out into other areas. I try to craft everything I use from raw materials and make all my own potions and food. I make most of my money by enchanting crafted items and making stupid potions. Hey, if they will buy a poison with beneficial enhancements, I'll sell it to them.

A lot of awesome people here have given me such good advice on character builds that it is easy to create OP characters now. I limit Stealth and Block perks to keep from going over the top. I may not use Dual Enchant anymore, but I have to say that a rampaging mage with dual enchanted apparel is a lot of fun right now.

Most importantly, I just do what I want to. I'll just wander around exploring, dive the lakes, climb mountains, and try to find the loot from the treasure maps. The only big quests I've ever completed are Winterhold and the Companions. I almost quit playing Skyrim because I got frustrated with the "typical" quest progressions. Now that I can wander around without dying to every bear/bandit/troll I meet, I'm having fun exploring, just "being there".

I will use mods that makes me feel like Skyrim is some kind of *reality* like basic needs,hypothermia, jobs mod. Once my main character gets done with all the quests, he will go retired in some little village and live off of his hard earned money until a new adventure (xpac?) arrive, if he runs out of money, well he will just go work again,probably as a farmer .