Daggerfall had the right idea.

Rennn

See, the thing is, that if we were to scale down all the models but keep the landscape the same, the textures would look bizzare. I don't favor the idea of having the entire Riverwood village being based on a cobble path.

Not to mention the re-positioning of the models involved.

But then again, someone will probably come up with a bad-ass algorithm that fixes the texture/model placements so this can be feasible.

Bigger Skyrim? Do want.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
I have been thinking of this a lot. I'd say first we get the enlarged landmass with nothing on it that that lightwave person makes. Then copy and paste a large amount from 1x version in correlationg spot like whiterun and the whole surrounding area plus heightmaps and everything. then you'd have the same places but empty space in between and then you'd just have to fix the paths and whatever looks weird like if it doesnt line up. that way you can get something more quickly to styart with and fill in and fix in between

i will be blunt with everyone saying bad things about daggerfall and it being fast-travel-ish.

That game was DESIGNED to be large, and fast travel actually is the best thing that could possibly help the player, of course you can walk the distance, nothing stopping you, but on the same way, Fallout has a semi-fast travel, i mean, the original Fallout/Fallout 2.

you moved on the map which made traveling somewhat awesome with random encounters, the way Bethesda uses fast travel since morrowind it just insane, in skyrim I can walk the distance between one edge of the map and the other within 20-30 minutes if I don't encounter any bugs to be squashed (seriously the game is way too easy combat-wise) and in daggerfall you actually had choices on how to fast travel, yo ucould use inns, or camp out on the way, ride on horse/walk or by ship, there were travel costs as well. Morrowind/Oblivion/fallout3/NV/Skyrim = click and go. It makes me sick, though I still use it. but really, the games have become DUMB-proof.

Skyrim Vanila progress, even without farming smithing you still level waaaaay too fast, even using magic is simply too overpowered. not to mention a bit of stealth training and you are virtually invisible.

I keep stand by my post, daggerfall had the right idea. No effects bathesda can make up right now can possibly redeem any of their games because they only LOOK good, and there is nothing else that is good.

BTW

Final Boss took my 3 hits and is dead, ffs if anything at least make the bosses scale to be powerful and not making them completely useless when you have some resitances on your armor.

Really, bethesda made a nice looking game, but it's still a fail.

One more thing about Daggerfall, during fast travel, you STILL CAN encounter enemies which stops your travel instantly and you have to fight, happened to me several times, I would prefer if Skyring used Fallout1/2 based fast travel, you go to map, click someplace, and you can on the way encounter someone and fight them or deal with them otherwise. but bethesda had to make SURE their game is stupid-proof for console players, but what horryfies me more is that they didn't gove a s*** about it since morrowind.

Edited by Havoc10K

i will be blunt with everyone saying bad things about daggerfall and it being fast-travel-ish.

That game was DESIGNED to be large, and fast travel actually is the best thing that could possibly help the player, of course you can walk the distance, nothing stopping you, but on the same way, Fallout has a semi-fast travel, i mean, the original Fallout/Fallout 2.

you moved on the map which made traveling somewhat awesome with random encounters, the way Bethesda uses fast travel since morrowind it just insane, in skyrim I can walk the distance between one edge of the map and the other within 20-30 minutes if I don't encounter any bugs to be squashed (seriously the game is way too easy combat-wise) and in daggerfall you actually had choices on how to fast travel, yo ucould use inns, or camp out on the way, ride on horse/walk or by ship, there were travel costs as well. Morrowind/Oblivion/fallout3/NV/Skyrim = click and go. It makes me sick, though I still use it. but really, the games have become DUMB-proof.

Skyrim Vanila progress, even without farming smithing you still level waaaaay too fast, even using magic is simply too overpowered. not to mention a bit of stealth training and you are virtually invisible.

I keep stand by my post, daggerfall had the right idea. No effects bathesda can make up right now can possibly redeem any of their games because they only LOOK good, and there is nothing else that is good.

BTW

Final Boss took my 3 hits and is dead, ffs if anything at least make the bosses scale to be powerful and not making them completely useless when you have some resitances on your armor.

Really, bethesda made a nice looking game, but it's still a fail.

One more thing about Daggerfall, during fast travel, you STILL CAN encounter enemies which stops your travel instantly and you have to fight, happened to me several times, I would prefer if Skyring used Fallout1/2 based fast travel, you go to map, click someplace, and you can on the way encounter someone and fight them or deal with them otherwise. but bethesda had to make SURE their game is stupid-proof for console players, but what horryfies me more is that they didn't gove a s*** about it since morrowind.

Kudos to you, I completly agree. It seems I'm not the only sane one around here after all.

Keep in mind Skyrim was hand crafted. I have a feeling that's why there isn't as much open space. I agree more spread out would be nice (To a point), but only if it's hand crafted and unique. If it was generated open space it would be repeaty and boring and just make the experience suck.

Keep in mind Skyrim was hand crafted. I have a feeling that's why there isn't as much open space. I agree more spread out would be nice (To a point), but only if it's hand crafted and unique. If it was generated open space it would be repeaty and boring and just make the experience suck.

Hand crafted ?

Elaborate, cuz I don't think you know the meaning of that term.

Hand crafted ?

Elaborate, cuz I don't think you know the meaning of that term.

Daggerfall was procedurally generated, while Skyrim was created by level designers. Quite a bit of Oblivion however was still procedurally generated so it has no excuse for it's small size.

Now if we could only find a way to make Skyrim bigger using Procedural generation we would be quite a bit further in making it a better game.

Edited by AgentGrady

You can't make crap smell like roses =_=

There is very little that cannot be done with mods if one has the skill and the will. Just look at Garry's mod and Remember Team Fortress started off as a Quake mod and Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat started as HL mods.

If they can put portals in Mario then we can put Daggerfall in Skyrim, if you can bring the ancient dinosaurs to Grand Theft Auto then we can brink complexity and real RPG mechanichs of Daggerfall to the Elder Scrolls, if they can recreate Icewind Dale in Neverwinter Nights 2 then we can recreate Daggerfall in Skyrim.

Just look what has been done for Oblivion alone on this very website with skill and determination.

In the words of Augustus Ceasar "(Marmoream relinquo, quam latericiam accepi) I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble". That is what we can do, we find Skyrim now as a sub-par game and turn it into something glorious.