Daggerfall had the right idea.

Rennn

You can't make crap smell like roses =_=

There is very little that cannot be done with mods if one has the skill and the will. Just look at Garry's mod and Remember Team Fortress started off as a Quake mod and Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat started as HL mods.

If they can put portals in Mario then we can put Daggerfall in Skyrim, if you can bring the ancient dinosaurs to Grand Theft Auto then we can brink complexity and real RPG mechanichs of Daggerfall to the Elder Scrolls, if they can recreate Icewind Dale in Neverwinter Nights 2 then we can recreate Daggerfall in Skyrim.

Just look what has been done for Oblivion alone on this very website with skill and determination.

In the words of Augustus Ceasar "(Marmoream relinquo, quam latericiam accepi) I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble". That is what we can do, we find Skyrim now as a sub-par game and turn it into something glorious.

I could put your theory to a test with one sentence, or question more like.

ready ?

you sure ?

think carefully now

Why did bethesda make staves, fit into one hand?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is very little that cannot be done with mods if one has the skill and the will. Just look at Garry's mod and Remember Team Fortress started off as a Quake mod and Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat started as HL mods.

If they can put portals in Mario then we can put Daggerfall in Skyrim, if you can bring the ancient dinosaurs to Grand Theft Auto then we can brink complexity and real RPG mechanichs of Daggerfall to the Elder Scrolls, if they can recreate Icewind Dale in Neverwinter Nights 2 then we can recreate Daggerfall in Skyrim.

Just look what has been done for Oblivion alone on this very website with skill and determination.

In the words of Augustus Ceasar "(Marmoream relinquo, quam latericiam accepi) I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble". That is what we can do, we find Skyrim now as a sub-par game and turn it into something glorious.

ready ?

you sure ?

think carefully now

There are far deeper problems in Skyrim than one-handed staffs, that problem could be easily fixed anyway.

Edited by AgentGrady

ready ?

you sure ?

think carefully now

There are far deeper problems in Skyrim than one-handed staffs, that problem could be easily fixed anyway.

You obviously didn't get the point, no matter.

If you haven't played Daggerfall, you will not see Skyrim and any predecessor as flawed.

Play Daggerfall, finish it (seriously, that game takes forever to finish, and leveling up in that game takes a lot of effort and time, simply magnificent!) because otherwise, we are wasting time.

Morrowind was very close to daggerfall but it was already broken, although the area was a lot better developed, equipment was nicely done, it lost the charm Daggerfall had.

Things I would like to see from Daggerfall in the next TES game:

-large cities

-proper quests from fighters guild (random "clear the residence of barbarians/wildlife"

-proper mages guild quests

-all guilds, seriously, I don't even remember all the guilds names lol :D it was so fun visiting them all :)

-7 piece armor (hands+left/right pauldrons+greaves+boots+chest piece+helmet)

-weapons (seriously, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of them!)

-materials (cloth/leather/wood/iron/chain/steel/elven/dwarven/glass/mythril/orcish/ebony/daedric)

-fast travel costs and variations with possibility to encounter something on the way

-cart ! SERIOUSLY! WHERE IS MY CART ???

-balanced combat difficulty (a rat could kill you lol missing the enemy was so damn possible back then :) )

-balanced magic difficulty (no really, I want magic to simply fail to effect !)

-balanced enchanting/spellcrafting (morrowind had the good idea with it, but oblivion completely broke the system, resulting in skyrim not even having spellcrafting, WTF ??)

-a horse that runs fast! Seriously bethesda ? Skyrim Horses are useless ? honestly that made me so damn laugh I couldn't stop for a few minutes and had a tummy ache, I had to use command console to make my horse run at least twice as fast as I run...

-random encounters that can actually be your grave (I remember I have been attacked by a few werewolves and I actually didn't have any silver weapon or magic on me, I was sad :( )

-3D Dungeon Map !!! Beat that Skyrim !!!

-Uncensored ! i want to see my Argonian tits !

Call me crazy, but my first TES game was Morrowind, then Oblivion, and I played Daggerfall way after those two games, yet I couldn't believe how fun it was to play. It and Skyrim are my favorite two TES games, with Oblivion being on the bottom of the list (morrowind was a great game, but I enjoy the act of playing both DF and skyrim more)

The character creation system was really awesome, and the amount of things you could equip on your character was pretty damn cool.

My favorite thing about the game was its atmosphere though. I could easily get lost in that game despite the dated graphics, low resolution, and having to run it on dosbox.

I guess that comes in part from the fact that with such low fidelity in the graphics, it probably causes my imagination to fill in the blanks with things that are far more interesting then any hand crafted environment could give me. That, and

the music really fit the game world instead of just sounding like some sort of movie:

But maybe for someone who doesn't have an imagination that active it could cause obvious problems :)

Anyway, I would love to see Skyrim a bit more spread out. The game is a bit too cluttered right now IMO, there's no reward from discovery when it happens within 20 feet of your last discovery. The snow climate up north isn't as bad, but still. And horses would be a lot more useful. As it stands, I didn't even use a horse until the latest patch, and I've been playing the game with fast travel disabled.

Also I want flails.

Edited by Bloodshot12

List of all weapons I remember from Daggerfall:

Short blades:

-daggers

-short swords

-tanto's

Long blades:

-Long swords

-Dai Katana's

-Broad swords

Blunt Weapons

-Battle Staves (technically it is a blunt weapon, although it should be in the Staves category by default, I put it in here)

-Warhammers

-Flails (real devastating power of a real life flail is incredible, the iron orb could smash a really sturdy iron armor, but it would only scratch a real steel armor, however a steel spiked orb on a flail could pretty much instant kill an enemy even in a steel armor, the sheer impact force of a flail is lethal)

Ranged weapons

-Short Bows

-Long Bows

-Spells

about Crossbows, although I have never seen a crossbow in Daggerfall, it appears there have been crossbows in the making of the game, but back then bethesda was doing their job well enough to remove the crossbow from the game because it was far too strong a weapon, the speed at which the bolts travel in real life which is every weapon in game based off would actually make the game very easy, thus it was removed from player availability. You can sometimes see an Orc Archer using a crossbow but it uses a bow actually. Fun Fact I guess.

Just look what has been done for Oblivion alone

ready ?

you sure ?

think carefully now

You obviously didn't get the point, no matter.

If you haven't played Daggerfall, you will not see Skyrim and any predecessor as flawed.

Play Daggerfall, finish it (seriously, that game takes forever to finish, and levelling up in that game takes a lot of effort and time, simply magnificent!) because otherwise, we are wasting time.

Morrowind was very close to daggerfall but it was already broken, although the area was a lot better developed, equipment was nicely done, it lost the charm Daggerfall had.

Things I would like to see from Daggerfall in the next TES game:

-large cities

-proper quests from fighters guild (random "clear the residence of barbarians/wildlife"

-proper mages guild quests

-all guilds, seriously, I don't even remember all the guilds names lol :D it was so fun visiting them all :)

-7 piece armour (hands+left/right pauldrons+greaves+boots+chest piece+helmet)

-weapons (seriously, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall of them!)

-materials (cloth/leather/wood/iron/chain/steel/elven/dwarven/glass/mythril/orcish/ebony/daedric)

-fast travel costs and variations with possibility to encounter something on the way

-cart ! SERIOUSLY! WHERE IS MY CART ???

-balanced combat difficulty (a rat could kill you lol missing the enemy was so damn possible back then :) )

-balanced magic difficulty (no really, I want magic to simply fail to effect !)

-balanced enchanting/spellcrafting (Morrowind had the good idea with it, but oblivion completely broke the system, resulting in Skyrim not even having spellcrafting, WTF ??)

-a horse that runs fast! Seriously bBew minutes and had a tummy ache, I had to use command console to make my horse run at least twice as fast as I run...

-random encounters that can actually be your grave (I remember I have been attacked by a few werewolves and I actually didn't have any silver weapon or magic on me, I was sad :( )

-3D Dungeon Map !!! Beat that Skyrim !!!

-Uncensored ! i want to see my Argonian tits !

I have played Daggerfall and I'm currently playing Daggerfall and here is a screen shot of my character as proof of that .

Also don't you think I know the many reasons that Daggerfall is far superior to the other Elder Scrolls games I myself gave a brief those reasons in a post before http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/500792-rescaling-the-map/page__view__findpost__p__4098640

By the way the guilds were the Fighter's Guild, the Mages Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, all of the eight temples and their Knights respectively. So that's 20 guilds that were join able but you can only join one temple and one Knightly order and they had to be of the same god or goddess so that's six per character.

Bigger playing area is always nice but requires a lot of work to be done. OFC Bethesda could generate the land like they did with oblivion but the area will be somewhat monotone and boring. As time passes More mods that add lands will appear giving you more space to explore.

As for the vanilla titles my exploration prize goes to Morrowind. It's alien landscape and lack of fast travel somewhat encouraged exploration. The powerful artefacts spread around were a good reward for curiosity. Too bad skyrim's artefacts are restricted to different quest and can't be simply found in the wilderness. Though skyrim's land is beautiful and detailed it looks somewhat familiar and doesn't encourage exploration in me as much as Morrowind.

BTW was it only me who spent a few good hours cracking the safes in Vivec ? :P .

tedious landscape is reason why there are so many caves and stuff, so that you don't whine on their forums that you walk around for hours without seeing anything between one place and another in Skyrim, that's actually worked in Daggerfall because of outdated graphics, however i would like to have a large area to discover instead of walking 2 minutes and enter another cave or the likes.