Weapon Back Placement Question

nivea

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be ok with the weapon clipping?

• Sure, it looks to good to say no.
    • No, you should not release if it clips.
    • I would use it, but I would not endorse or recomend it.

Alright so I am working on a large mod that adds brand new cloaks into the game, I could just save myself time and the hassle and just slap cloaks on some armor meshes and just make you wear them as a set... But no I have decided to add them all in as their own item.

Which means clipping, its going to happen I am rigging rerigging over and over to try and limit the clipping with pauldrons so far... its going pretty good.

BUT there is the issue with twohanded weapons, bows and quivers are ok for the most part... but the weapons are clipping horribly. I can live with the clipping it doesnt bother me all that much, but I KNOW some people are going to throw their hands up in horror about it all.

So question... is there any way to move the weapons farther away from the body without editing the skeleton.nif? Can I somehow edit the placement on each cloak mesh some how?

This issue will delay me in my releases, because I hate releaseing mods I feel are not "perfect". Half my mods never make it out because I feel they are not good enough to release as is. Any help or ideas would be just swell.

Cloak WIP: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/imageshare/images/55918-1330558252.jpg

This will help me release a lot faster.

I hate clipping ! i always does, but sometimes you just need to deal with it if you really like the object which overlapping very close.

it is possible to move the two handed a bit further back (which i still unable to tweak it, this weapon ninodes confuse me) but theres a mod that alter sheated weapon position like this particular mod 1HD Weapons on Back TS Edition. Of course you have to realize that if you move the 2hw position a bit further, will also make it weird when you're wearing slim armors/clothes or not wearing your cloak.

Go with first option..go for it...

Yes thats why I was hopeing perhaps I could somehow edit the skeleton in my cloak nifs and have it work only when wearing a cloak, but sadly I can not seem to get that working.

Two handed weapons are just so close to the body they even slightly clip vanilla armors at times if it wasnt so damn close.. D:

I HATE not being able to get somthing just right (I am horribly OCD at times), but if I let that get me down now I will not be releaseing the mod at all. ToT

Yes thats why I was hopeing perhaps I could somehow edit the skeleton in my cloak nifs and have it work only when wearing a cloak, but sadly I can not seem to get that working.

well if you pull it off than it definitely going to be a breakthrough

i remember last week when i was trying to move WeaponDagger ninode in skeleton_female into same spot as WeaponSword, but no changes ingame no matter i transform it, so i really wondering how nockchaa can managed to get swords in back. I'd say you should release it and maybe add an optional file which is a modified skeleton for both M/F that alter 2hw position a bit further away from body for those clipping hater :blush: .

There's this setting in the CK (for armor addons) that has this box that says Weapon Adjust. I haven't tried it yet, but the wiki says: "This number determines the distance the weapons will float away from the weapon attachment points on the NPC.".

I have yet to try it on my own personal armor - but the CK refuses to work on my PC. It has some annoying clipping with two handed weapons as well.

Don't know if it works or not, but if it does I guess it fixes your clipping issues without meddling with the vanilla skeletons (which will probably cause a lot of incompatibilities)

If it doesn't work you can always try to hide it, with some sort of scabbard maybe, or some sort of opening that the weapons can go through (would look funky with a battleaxe, tough.)

Clipping is my arch nemesis, and I fully understand your frustrations - I'm choking every bit of clipping I can find myself, which is a hell of a task. I sincerely hope you pull it off xb

Edited by Omesean

Awww, i thought you'd be talking about all weapons being placed in the back of the player :( I've been waiting for an updated mod that places 1h weapons on the player's back...

BTW, release it. If the ppl can get pass the horrible clipping on some vanilla stuff, they can do the same with mods.

I think your cloaks look awesome! But I would be one of those people up in arms about clipping :(

though I dont see how you could work around it?

then again, I could just not use a 2h wep while using your cloaks :) not seeing it = no problem :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your feedback I would hate to go through all this work for a dozen different cloaks and days of high res texturing to find majority wouldnt use my mod because of two handed weapons, I really hate clipping too I try and eliminate it all best I can on anything I release... but on cloaks its hard to remove it all, armors are all different sizes and those that have spikes poking out the sides at all odd angles I have no way to fix that.

Omesean: I shall look into that! Maybe it will help *crosses fingers*

This thread will probably decide if I release the mod or not, so please vote or give suggestions.

Edited by nivea

the issue is with select armors, and certain things you cannot fix. Like the daedric spikes... As long as it isn't clipping my legs when I run I'm ok with it. I'd just not equip a 2h weapon to avoid the clip mess. and only give it to npcs who won't clip (assuming you want to integrate it into the game)