Question about dialogue topics

SuperQuail

Hello everyone. This is a quick question about Morrowind dialogue.

I'm creating a mod that adds a tavern with a rent-able room.

Would it be better for me to handle the renting of the room through a new topic (e.g. rent room) instead of adding to the existing 'beds' topic?

I understand that creating new dialogue in an existing topic can cause problems with mods that alter the same topic, such as LGNPCs.

Thanks

Use the standard beds topic. Standards when implemented are good. To do a proper job, you will have to make a new global short variable (e.g. Rent_my_tavern) and filter the bed access properly in dialog and using a local script attached to your publican NPC (templates for this are already present, take a look at how this is implemented e.g. in Tribunal.esm using the Rent_MH_Guar global variable and script HessionScript) Edited by abot

Thanks. I'm OK with using a global variable and local script, it's literally just the dialogue that confuses me so much.

Does it matter where in the 'beds' topic I add my NPC's responses (i.e. above or below existing responses)?

The CS seems to mark the responses next to yours at changed even though they aren't. Does this matter?

Thanks. I'm OK with using a global variable and local script, it's literally just the dialogue that confuses me so much.

there are several dialog tuorials around, but the gist of it is: first INFO line whose filters condition are all verified as true is executed, lines below are skipped

so basically order is

do option 1

do option 2

ask if you want option 1 or option 2

which is reversed to what happens in game

The lines change before/after the current line is because dialog is stored as a doubly linked list, they are not really needed as the engine can make them on the fly but only TESTool cleans them automatically

Edited by abot

Looking at Abot's advice which is spot on I only have one thing to add. When you make a new global variable add your initials to the start of it

i.e. RM_variable_name

Cuts down the change of it being overwritten by another mod. Especially if you use common wording as your variable

i.e. wait