[LE] Issues After Editing Body Meshes

Hello. I am absolutely new to modding and didn't follow many guides for doing this (mostly because I couldn't find any specific to what I wanted to do and kind of figured out things on my own). I'm creating a character who I want to have custom textures (already done, no issues there) as well as a custom body mesh. Problem is, after I changed the mesh, this is what it looks like in-game:

tumblr_oxbhft2fiF1wc2folo3_1280.png

tumblr_oxbhft2fiF1wc2folo1_1280.png

I want to clarify the problem. Is it the flat shading on the body? Or did you blur that to hide something?

What exactly did you do to make the mesh? Full custom modelling? Or did you start with something like CBBE and modify that mesh? Did you go through some weird export>modify>export>import type of routine? Does it look correct in any other places (Outfit Studio/NifSkope)?

Edited by BigAndFlabby

I want to clarify the problem. Is it the flat shading on the body? Or did you blur that to hide something?

What exactly did you do to make the mesh? Full custom modelling? Or did you start with something like CBBE and modify that mesh? Did you go through some weird export>modify>export>import type of routine? Does it look correct in any other places (Outfit Studio/NifSkope)?

The flat shading on the body is how that appears in-game, yeah. The images I provided are unedited.

I modified UNP female body meshes using Blender. I did go through a weird export->import series asI couldn't, for the life of me, get the NIF plugin for Blender to work properly, so I exported to OBJ using Nifskope, important from OBJ using Blender and then exported as OBJ, and then important it back into Nifskope as an OBJ. I used nifmerge to merge it with the original meshes to fix some issues, did some transformation with the body mesh so it was in the same planar position in Nifskope as the original meshes, and then saved it as a NIF.

I haven't opened it in Outfit Studio. In NIfskope it looks like this. I'm not sure if this is "correct" or not.

Well since you don't have textures showing up in NifSkope, either you didn't setup NifSkope properly to see the textures, you didn't set the texture paths on the shader in the nif, or you have textures turned off. My first guess is probably the shader. Can you post the nif somewhere for me or others to look at. It's a lot easier to just look through it to see if anything pops out rather than give you a checklist of like 1000 things to look at to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

I modified UNP female body meshes using Blender. I did go through a weird export->import series asI couldn't, for the life of me, get the NIF plugin for Blender to work properly, so I exported to OBJ using Nifskope, important from OBJ using Blender and then exported as OBJ, and then important it back into Nifskope as an OBJ. I used nifmerge to merge it with the original meshes to fix some issues, did some transformation with the body mesh so it was in the same planar position in Nifskope as the original meshes, and then saved it as a NIF.

It be better to use OutfitStudio for changes like this.

If you did not change vertices count in blender, you can import your .obj when you have un-edited body loaded into OS, and if imported obj has same vertices as already loaded, then BS allow you to "merge" them.

Edited by azazellz

• 2 months later...

Well since you don't have textures showing up in NifSkope, either you didn't setup NifSkope properly to see the textures, you didn't set the texture paths on the shader in the nif, or you have textures turned off. My first guess is probably the shader. Can you post the nif somewhere for me or others to look at. It's a lot easier to just look through it to see if anything pops out rather than give you a checklist of like 1000 things to look at to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

100 years later I'm back here. I did something convoluted again, this time importing into Blender, sculpting in Blender, and then importing into OutfitStudio to see what I could do there. This is the new .nif I've made for those who can take a look at it. This time it won't show up in-game period (my character will just be a floating head, feet, and hands.) Sorry if I seem newbish because this is an entirely new thing for me and I wouldn't know where to find any guides that tell me how to do this properly. Textures typically don't show up in nifskope for me when the filepaths are reduced down to \textures\(etc.) but what's different about this is the body isn't blank, it has shading to it.

It be better to use OutfitStudio for changes like this.

If you did not change vertices count in blender, you can import your .obj when you have un-edited body loaded into OS, and if imported obj has same vertices as already loaded, then BS allow you to "merge" them.

OutfitStudio allows for sculpting but I've attempted the featureless chest look I'm going for with it and it doesn't...work too well. I'm pretty sure I didn't change the vertices or anything back then or this time, to my understanding. I'm not sure how to "merge" in BS or OS though.

Edited by pseudoskull

100 years later I'm back here. I did something convoluted again, this time importing into Blender, sculpting in Blender, and then importing into OutfitStudio to see what I could do there. This is the new .nif I've made for those who can take a look at it.

After testing around with your body nif file, I think your body NiTriShape is broken. At first, I tried to replace the BSLighting with a working one from the default vanilla body.

The result:

QssqXJY.jpg

In game also show black texture like that.

Next, I replace your NiTriShape UUNP_outfit [33] with a working vanilla one and it worked ( also tested in-game )

dJhmytO.jpg

So, my conclusion is you didn't export it with a correct setting. I used to have the same problem, when I still learning how to import - export body and armour to max, the body shader are all glossy and weird in-game, even after replacing it with a new BSLighting. Then I found out that I didn't assign the Body part after applied the BSDismemberSkin Modifier. So, I re-exported it with a correct setting and the problem is gone.

Hope this help! :)

100 years later I'm back here. I did something convoluted again, this time importing into Blender, sculpting in Blender, and then importing into OutfitStudio to see what I could do there. This is the new .nif I've made for those who can take a look at it.

After testing around with your body nif file, I think your body NiTriShape is broken. At first, I tried to replace the BSLighting with a working one from the default vanilla body.

The result:

QssqXJY.jpg

In game also show black texture like that.

Next, I replace your NiTriShape UUNP_outfit [33] with a working vanilla one and it worked ( also tested in-game )

dJhmytO.jpg

So, my conclusion is you didn't export it with a correct setting. I used to have the same problem, when I still learning how to import - export body and armour to max, the body shader are all glossy and weird in-game, even after replacing it with a new BSLighting. Then I found out that I didn't assign the Body part after applied the BSDismemberSkin Modifier. So, I re-exported it with a correct setting and the problem is gone.

Hope this help! :smile:

Most of that went over my head but I appreciate it anyway T~T

I suppose in order to get this specific body I'll have to wait until someone nice enough to do it for me comes along. For now I have a massive headache.

Sorry for some of the complicated stuff there, it's always good to create things by yourself than rely on others. But I know this kind of things can cause lots of headache. So, take it easy and don't get burnout :laugh:

I usually get a cup of coffee when I playing around with things like this, it helped a lot.