6870 not cutting it?

nemesis108

I don't use many HD textures. I probably never will, in Skyrim. I use a few individual ones, like AOF rocks because they look amazing and they actually improve the atmosphere, but all the big packs like Serious HD or HD 2K ruin the style of the game with almost no visual increase unless you stand less than five feet from whatever you're examining. (at my 1440x900 resolution, at least. Someone at 1920x1080 might see more of a difference) Bethesda matched the colors and highlights so perfectly it's astounding, and I haven't seen a mod capable of replicating that yet. Of course, Bethesda's Official HD textures aren't very HD so those aren't even worth it.

I stuck with the Flora Overhaul for a long time, but after I tried out vanilla again I just couldn't go back. It felt way more real with the vanilla colors and textures. It seems like a waste of vram to me, for all of you who have trouble running HD textures or getting lag. ENB is a better use of resources, and on sunny days with SSAO and DOF it looks amazing, but even that causes fog and gloomy weather to look terrible. I eventually got rid of it although I got a stable 30-40fps with high quality SSAO and Bloom because I couldn't stand how it made even a hint of fog or haze just freak out.

Edited by Rennn

• 4 months later...
Wanted to add my experience. I had the XFX 6870 1GB Black. After loading ~50 mods I was having very frequent crashes. Tried reducing AA, settings, etc. with no effect. I just upgraded to the 7950 with 3GB of RAM after reading that mods tax vid RAM excessively. Since the upgrade I have over 70 mods loaded with no problems whatsoever. For those of you running a 1GB card and having problems you should consider the upgrade...

6870 really chugs on 2k textures and enb mods you guys have this prob? i know its not a cpu problem mines at 4.4ghz.

an i5 CPU, a humble CPU has been around for quite a while now getting the job done, though is not that fast, even at 4.4 GHz. i7's are over 3 times faster.

Skyrim makes reasonable use of CPU so it would be advantageous for any changes here. That said, Skyrim core is not as CPU bound as say Microsoft FSX or DCS BLACKSHARK where adjustments pay off in dividends of several orders.

ENB - which performance option are you using?

Full SSAO (slow) uses Full SSAO and SSIL, both CPU and GPU hungry features. Consider, Lite SSAO or No SSAO - do you see performance benefit here?

For more information refer to the ENB doco.

Turn AA and AF off in Skyrim game options. I have a 1GB DDR5 EVGA gtx460 superoverclock video card and im running it on ultra with no conflicts, but i have AA and AF turned off and according to frapps im running 60 - 70 FPS. Rest of spec's.....

AMD FX4100 bulldozer oc @ 4.3ghz

8GB of Gskill sniper series ram 1866

GTX Evga superoverclocked which i have overclocked to 950 mhz and 2200 mhz.