the sega saturn

bluekatt

the much maligned shortlived ( though longer lived then the dreamcast ) penultimate sega console that was mauled by a too high price tag compex hardware dualprocessors that were hard to program for bad transperancy effects a bad pr onslaught the ps1 and lacklustre support form sega

it also did not help that sega vulke dup pretty much every bit of good will they had with the monumentuous waste called the 32 x released in japan AFTER the saturn and sega dropped the genesis and all other products in favor for the saturn faster then a red hot piece of metal thank you very much for that sega

a 399 price tag and sega jumped the gun releasing it 4 months before the playstation leaving everybody high and dry andhaving no proper software to show for this boneheaded tactique daytona usa virtua fighter and panzer dragon were al lacking in the looks department and shallow in the game play department

the saturn folded in the west in 1998 after being crippeld and hobbeling along in a distant third for quite some time but before it croaked it parted us with pazenr dragoon saga house of the living dead burning rangers sonic jam and shining force 3

despite its short comings it wa as far as i am concerned the superior console and it died way too soon

it has an amazing library of equally amazing and diverse games that are just waiting to be rediscoverd

so who agrees with me

or am i just a sega fan raving in the storm ?

wel i got 5 saturns and 200 games im hardly unbiased

I love the Sega Saturn, IMO, it kick the PS's backside.

The games on the Saturn were of better quality, when I was a kid I had loads of games, and I still got them to this day. Panzer Dragon Saga, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, Virtual Fighter 2. just to name four.

Games were pricey then and still are now, £30 for PC & £45+ RRP for X360? WTF....PC is more powerful and can be (game allowing) modified (mods) as a potential advantage.

We all nag, I remember when Sega release a 4MB graphic cartridge for the Saturn to run X-men VS Streetfighter perfectly, much better looking than on the PlayStation. Sony just pump out crap sometimes.

We're not fans raving in the storm! Capcom have killed MHF1 on the PS, they must feel the same, its dead its gone. We have console that allows us to truly experience the coming of more advanced games. We can experience the raw gameplay before all the same types of games came out again on PS3, Wii, X360 etc etc as mash-ups.

I'm still looking to get another Saturn and controls in case the other one dies, because those laughs in the past are unforgettable to let go. Regardless of what out-of-production console etc you have, we all feel the same.

we might disagree on guardian heroes

i have the game and while its great when you actually get control of your character the break sin game play for another bit of story exposition are too frequent and at times the dialouge is longer then the time you spend playing

the stages are especially short and the cutscnes especially long if you dont play alone

i prefer fighters megamix over vf2

I was one of the kids who pined over the original playstation for years, unable to afford it. Then, ended up getting a 64, and eventually Saturn in it's place. Though I must have missed out on some of the really good Saturn games, I spent a lot of time with Tomb Raider for it. The game I really loved on there though, was D, which had bad graphics (even at the time), and a pretty twisted story. However, it reminded me a lot of Myst, which I had only briefly been able to toy with at the time. I think that really got me into it. I never got to play Panzer Dragoon until the Xbox version, but what other games, besides the legendary Nights: Into Dreams (drool), were there?

you want a list ?

out of the top of my head

dragon force

shining force 3

shining wisdom

shining the holy ark

grandia

dragon force 2

virtua fighter

virtua fighter 2

house of the living dead

burning rangers

panzer dragoon

panzer dragoon zwei

panzer dragoon saga

vighting vipers

sega rally

fighters megamix

enemy zero

marvel super heroes

nightwarriors

xmen vs street fighter

sf alpha 1 2 and 3

magic carpet

magic knight rayearth

albert odyssee

christmas nights

sonic jam

sonic r

sonic 3d

and many many more

you want a list ?

out of the top of my head

dragon force

shining force 3

shining wisdom

shining the holy ark

grandia

dragon force 2

virtua fighter

virtua fighter 2

house of the living dead

burning rangers

panzer dragoon

panzer dragoon zwei

panzer dragoon saga

vighting vipers

sega rally

fighters megamix

enemy zero

marvel super heroes

nightwarriors

xmen vs street fighter

sf alpha 1 2 and 3

magic carpet

magic knight rayearth

albert odyssee

christmas nights

sonic jam

sonic r

sonic 3d

and many many more

Some of the best in that list.

Anyone have magic carpet lol, and Virtual Hiyde or however you spell it. Dark Saviour was also very good and complex to complete, some of the stuff you couldn't even guess unless you were told about it in those cheat books.

That D's Dinner was wierd, pretty hard actually as well. Sonic Jam & R rock, Burning Rangers was great game. The 4MB cartridge boosted its graphics as well :D

@bluekatt: Did you play it on hard without the cheats? That takes a while to do even with two people.

disc world

dicworld 2

wipeout

daytona usa

daytona cce

pandemonium

i have magic carpet virtual hydilide ( avoid avoid avoid !!) and dark savior as well

the D i have is just called D

the controls for sonic r were floaty but i liked the music WITH lyrics im one of the few there i bet

we played it at easy first to get a feel for it and then on normal

some of which sega should revisit

panzer dragoon saga for instance

i was going to say anew nights but that point is moot

shining the holy ark remake or 2 hining force 4

fighters megamix 2

• 4 months later...

Oh my, the saturn! I liked it so much, but changed to psx cause of the games. I think I had about 20 games or so for it but I do not have all of them anymore.

Here a list of those I still have:

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon 2

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Sakura Taisen 2

Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns

Puzzle Bobble 3

Radient Silvergun

Deep Fear

Slayers Royal 2

I also remember having Blam! and Alien Trilogy, but not anymore(no big loss though).

Since my Saturn already died 4 years ago, I downloaded the SSF Saturn Emulator. It's a really good feeling to play such a classic game sometimes^^.

EDIT: Sega Rally spoiled me! I will propably never ever find a racing game which makes me want to beat my own time records over and over.

The Sega Saturn was really cool. I still play the games for it and all the other old consoles. They spawned some of the best games in the world, even to this day.

Well said :yes:

Couldn't agree more! :D

Yeah another PDS would be great if made properly, MMO version maybe, but only if they can really pull off that feeling you get when you play such a great never-to-be-missed classic.

I would love Fighters Megamix 2 & SF4, urrggghhh so many goood games all gone! RIP Saturn RIP!

Archived