Custom Settlement workshop glitch/bug? How to fix?

MightyNINE

ok folks here is the problem I am encountering.

In my first custom settlement Houlden Hills I encountered this odd and annoying workshop glitch that when you cross the cell boundaries that the workshop auto closes without warning. It is not a serious issue that is breaking the mod just annoying that you have to re-open the Workshop everytime.

In a new custom settlement mod I am working on I have now encountered the exact same problem.

I followed the tutorial on Youtube exactly when building these.

In this second mod (an unreleased WIP) I added xmarker headings marked with Location Edge Marker Keyword then ref linked each of them back to the xmarkerheading that has the Location Center Marker Keyword (which is also linked to the workshop correctly) I changed the location of surrounding Wilderness cells which fall into my settlement build area to my custom location.

This has not solved the problem.

Like I said its not breaking the game or anything it is just highly annoying and I would like to learn how to fix it.

yeah that is the exact same tutorial that "MarkyMint" aka mods1984 made a video tutorial of on Youtube. That is what I followed to the letter.

I found out you do not need the SetOwnedTrigger however from a FelloutisLife Tutorial. The DefaultEmptyTrigger can serve both purposes.

This still does does not solve MY problem however. Making a custom settlement.. I got that figured out what I am trying to figure out is this odd behavior of the workshop while in workshop mode while in that custom settlement.

The workshop auto closing along the cell boundaries as indicated in this image. The blue arrows represent the points which it happens.

31634110-1507950810.png

don't see much on that pic, wat is the box i see ?, how big(how many cells) is the mod , normal if you use lets say 4 cells and the build box cover all 4 cells(within the borders of those cells) it should work like intended

did you gave all the cell(s) a new navmesh or do you use the 1 beth putted there, i know some had this problem before (but not the mod makers) i personel never had this problem eighter, so not sure wat it cause it

mm simple question did you pulled the build box into the ground?, it can happen if the ground is to low and your box is not under the ground it will exit build mode

don't see much on that pic, wat is the box i see ?, how big(how many cells) is the mod , normal if you use lets say 4 cells and the build box cover all 4 cells(within the borders of those cells) it should work like intended

did you gave all the cell(s) a new navmesh or do you use the 1 beth putted there, i know some had this problem before (but not the mod makers) i personel never had this problem eighter, so not sure wat it cause it

mm simple question did you pulled the build box into the ground?, it can happen if the ground is to low and your box is not under the ground it will exit build mode

it covers 6 cells and yes the build box is underground as well. I had the problem of Workshop exiting (normally because it wasn't covering the lower areas) but the problem I am trying to work out isn't affected by that. While traversing the grounds normally it auto closes the workshop (without any warning whatsoever) along the lines of the cell boundaries. I've even went as far as changing the location of the cells included in my settlement to my custom location yet that isn't the problem either.

No I did not make new navmesh for any of these cells. I don't touch the vanilla navmesh ever in exterior cells. A hold over from modding Skyrim where if you do any sort of modification to exterior navmesh it screws up cell boundaries and that a hassle to fix.

That trigger you see on top of the house is a vanilla trigger for Random Encounters which has been disabled with FO4edit so that these random encounters don't happen anymore in the location

​FO4Edit reports no conflicts and everything shows up the way it is supposed too. So that isn't the issue.

This is quite the stumper for me.

Although again I mention that its not that serious of a problem. The settlement still works correctly with full functionality its just annoying that the workshop closes without warning, but at least it is predictable in game. I usually place signs from functional objects about to mark the areas where it happens so I know when to close the workshop. Odd thing is it doesnt effect placement of objects from a distance. Like dropping a foundation block from one side of the occurnce into the other cell. No problem there.

I experienced something similar (i think?) but let me preface this with the knowledge I've been at this modding thing for a whole 8 days now lol. I have no clue if this will cause other issues that I am yet unaware of.

I was messing around with Jamaica Plains and tried to piece together info from several manuals and tutorials. When i got in game every time i entered one of the several boundary cells i would leave workshop mode.

After poking around some i realized one of the cells was set up differently:

QjMXl6g.png

Shaded it green so i could tell it apart from the others in CK and started fiddling around with the size & position. Once I determined this was indeed the cause I moved it up and out of the way like so:

3S0c1pw.png

After I made this change I didn't have any issues with the workshop shop closing inside my build area.

Hope this helps and GL!

I experienced something similar (i think?) but let me preface this with the knowledge I've been at this modding thing for a whole 8 days now lol. I have no clue if this will cause other issues that I am yet unaware of.

I was messing around with Jamaica Plains and tried to piece together info from several manuals and tutorials. When i got in game every time i entered one of the several boundary cells i would leave workshop mode.

After poking around some i realized one of the cells was set up differently:

QjMXl6g.png

Shaded it green so i could tell it apart from the others in CK and started fiddling around with the size & position. Once I determined this was indeed the cause I moved it up and out of the way like so:

3S0c1pw.png

After I made this change I didn't have any issues with the workshop shop closing inside my build area.

Hope this helps and GL!

actually this isn't the problem I have. There are no extra trigger boxes within My build area. Just the one Random Encounter box which I disabled through FO4Edit. So that inst the problem but thanks for the input

Have you included all of the appropriate cells in the location record?

I've even put in location edge markers on all sides ref linked back to the Center Location Xmarkerheading. That automatically places those extra cells into the Location Record.

The only thing I haven't tried is not re-naming the wilderness cell (which makes it really hard to find when I want to return to it) I don't know why that should make a difference but it is the last thing I got to try.

One of my viewers on my Twitch Stream says the exact same problem happens to him on PS4 when using the Simple Camping mod too. Simple Camping is alot like Cheesko's Conquest mod which doesn't seem to have this problem. That tells me that this not a problem that is unique to my mods alone or the way I make settlements.

This viewer suggested it is a game mechanic problem which it very possible since there is so many other things wrong with the game engine.

I am going to message Cheesko and see if he might have some input.

*SOLVED*

and here's how I did it..

First some background.

In mods1984 tutorial on custom settlement building, he tells you to re-name the wilderness cell in which you are working in so that you can find it easier later on. While this sounds great on the surface, it is exactly what is causing the auto close of the workshop at the borders of any cells included in the Build Area. Leaving the re-named cell in Workshop mode doesn't close it but entering the re-named cell in Workshop mode causes the Workshop to auto close without warning.

The fix for this was amazingly simple. DO NOT rename the cell. To find it later, write down the coordinates of the cell and use the cell view window to input the coordinates and push the GO button. I created a test settlement esp, making sure to make the settlement large enough so that it included multiple cells taking particular attention that the junction of 4 cells were included inside of the settlement. Testing in gme showed that the settlement worked correctly, and that I could traverse the entire grounds leaving and re-entering the cell where the settlement location is pointed too in the Location Record world marker reference. The workshop did not close not once.

So that is the fix

Do not rename cells.