The UN-DRAGONBORN Mod

Tyfighter77

UN-DRAGONBORN OPTIONS MOD

I’m proposing removing the necessity of being actual Dovahkiin. Specifically, certain gameplay aspects that require you to follow the main questline in order to progress through the game would be removed.

This mod would be very useful for players who, for example, want to be an ordinary thief with no supernatural powers who wanders Skyrim without the need to visit High Hrothgar or save villages; or a fighter who has no more chance of slaying a dragon than anyone else. This mod would add immersion and realism for anyone who wants to play a class other than dragonborn.

The mod would have three parts (or phases). Each successive part builds on the depth of the other, meaning – simply completing the first phase results in a pretty useful mod by itself. Phase II and III would add to the realism and possibilities, and would turn the mod into a major overhaul.

PART I: Removal of dragonborn questline triggers

Several game changes would be in order. As I’ve not played through the whole game yet myself, I’m not familiar with all the ways Dovahkiin-hood (or questline triggers, shouts, etc) are required gain access to the full experience available in Skyrim. But in order to play the game as un-dragonborn without breaking immersion, some gameplay changes would have to be made. For starters:

• First appearance of dragons would not be dependent on recovering the dragonstone for the Jarl (but instead could be level-based as other creatures).

• Dragonsoul absorbtion could be toggled off, rendered ineffectual, or at least not trigger “Dragonborn!” witness response.

• Wordwalls would not activate when player is near.

• I’m sure many other small changes.

This opens up the idea of the Dovahkiin as an NPC (witnessed at times by the player) who acts as part of the plot (such as Ulfrik Stormcloak) affecting world-changing events in Skyrim, thus allowing the player to simply act as any other mortal within that world.

PART II: Helgen start options

At its simplest, the mod could avoid the Helgen scene entirely by having an alternate start location as many other mods do. But fully realized, I envision class/faction options upon game start that determine the player’s role within the Helgen dragon attack. The faction option screen would have to precede game start, since the opening would depend on your choice.

Start option examples:

• Imperial – Join up/report for duty (name character) with General Tullius inside the Helgen gates as the prisoner wagon rumbles by. Can only follow Hadvar (not Ralof) into the keep.

• Stormcloak – as vanilla, but is saved by Ralof (or Ulfrik) not Hadvar, and can only follow Ralof into the keep.

• Thief – in the prisoner wagon as vanilla, but on their own when dragon attacks (automatic bond escape?). Enters keep alone.

• Unaffiliated – Random Helgen townsperson witnessing execution (character name at start), on their own when dragon attacks. Enters keep alone as homeless refugee.

• Magic user – ideas?

• Alternate idea – place a hanging prisoner cage near the ‘dragon’ tower in Helgen, which falls and bursts open when the dragon attacks, freeing the prisoner inside. This option would finally be a realistic and useful way to begin the game for players wishing to play mods as non-humans (especially monsters, etc), enemies of the Empire or anything else really. This option also allows the dragonborn of the main plot to act as an NPC in the game, and the player can witness him in the wagon and nearly being executed.

• Of course the vanilla option could still be available for those who still want to be dragonborn etc.

This phase of the mod could be either simple or very complex, and actually, could stand by itself as a very useful mod.

PART III: Expanded faction questlines.

No doubt mods with this function already exist. But where main-questline triggers are removed, a gap is available to replace it with side-faction triggers. This could be as simple as adding additional side-quest plot-points that trigger what in vanilla are exclusively main-quest driven elements – or it could be expanded in such a way that any path you choose can provide the gameworld changes effected by the main plot in vanilla. Alternatively, the mod could be compatible or combined with other existing mods to a similar result.

This would be the phase in which the Dragonborn as NPC elements might be added. Doubtless a huge undertaking.

DISCLAIMER

This is the mod I would create if I had the considerable knowledge and skills to do so. I don't (apart from the occasional retexture and a few 3D renderings for a college course), so I make my appeal to the community.

Two more things: (a) I do not know about every mod currently out there - if what I'm describing already exists in some form, feel free to mention it, but no slights were intended by this request; (b) I'm aware some of the things I suggest may be difficult to impossible - I am not, as I said, a modder myself, so take the suggestions for what they are worth.

Thanks for reading my idea! It would add so much to Skyrim if someone were to make it happen!

Edited by Tyfighter77

What you have there is the frame work for a mod that could justifiably be called the ULTIMATE ROLE PLAYERS MOD.

Part 3 in particular would require the most work I think. Part 1 and 2 are mostly going through the CK basically with a pair of scissor, and chopping out stuff. The bulleted list in part 1 is pretty much done in another you-are-not-the dragonborn mods that was released a few weeks ago iirc.

There are quite a few mods out there based on most of the items in part 2. Bandit starter mods, and I think a few other faction starting things. Even a forsworn faction thing, though it's not really set up to start you.

Part 3, i.e. adding a bunch of new quests, would be rewarding, but tying it to the alternate start idea might be a bit limiting.

Dovakiin as an NPC, however, I don't think I've ever heard mentioned :D You'd have to be a pretty dedicated roleplayer not to get some feelings of being on the outside looking in from that part though. I'm pretty sure if I heard the dovakiin around I'd feel the need to load another game where I was the dragonborn and slay some dagrons lol.

edit: oh and I was also just made aware of this mod even, if you want to go crazy: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8804

Edited by SinderionsBones

OooooooOOH this is good. I would definately sign up for this. I love this idea. I wish all the mindless faction joining would just cease. I don't want to go to High Rothgar, I don't want to go see a demented child, I don't want pointless quests building up in my quest book I will never do again. the game should give you an option : Is this your first time playing or Discrete membership. Join on request not by mere passing.

There is no reason we should have to be everything in the game. I just want to be an average adventerous person with the same starting abilities and chances as all the others in my village. Role playing is a big possibility with the framework Bethesda provided. I have played through this game several times and tried to RP with most of them. It gets to a point where you fear opening your Quest log becuase you end up doing them just to clear them out. Before you know it, you are no longer roleplaying, you are meat grinding.

There's a lot of quests you can do to assist the real (NPC) Dragonborn without you being it. Collecting the Horn for a certain requestor. Find and convince a person to allow the dragonborn to gain entry with the Thalmore. Search the burial grounds and help make the next prediction. you can spin a lot of the present quests to fit into the Un-Dragonborn.

excellent idea!!

Great Idea, if you could remove other immersion breakers like -

you don't become the head of the thieves guild

you don't become head of the mages guild

etc..

It's not always in line with the particular character you have any more than khajit dragonborn or dragonborn thieves etc.. ;)

Just a thought ;)

The Alternative start Options are reaaaaally cool. I have no problem in being the dragonborn as long as i don´t have to take a side between stormcloaks or imperials because I play a dark elf who doesn´t trust humans, Especially ones who where going to execute him or racists bastards.

Good points, everyone. Thank you for responding.

Roleplaying is really the end goal here, for many of us. It's almost a less-is-more situation. If it actually is possible to 'take scissors' to the game and cut out the elements we've mentioned, and others like them I sure hope someone will do it. Then Skyrim would truly be an open world, because, as I see it, Bethesda have done all the work so that a character can be free, and then boxed us in with quests and the like.

It's great to know there are already some mods out there covering some of these topics. If they fit the need, perhaps the authors of those mods would consider merging them for the ULTIMATE ROLEPLAYERS MOD. I've also seen a few other requests on these boards addressing some of these topics. I wish there was a rating system for these posts so people could add their 'vote' to good ideas. That would give modders an easy way to see what's in the most demand.

PS - I'm glad some of you are as excited as me about the 'start as' part of this. That's really the important thing. Ah to be unaffiliated! I'm quite proud of the hanging prisoner cage idea. Thanks for the support.

An idea just sprang in my head. It started with "what would the Dovahkiin be like?" What if in this mod, the player can choose the Dragonborn's race and sex by conversation at the start of the game? Let's have this concept that when you start the quest, you ask a certain NPC who has seen the Dovahkiin. You as the character could ask which certain race and gender the Dragonborn is. You could also ask what choice of weaponry the Dragonborn uses. That way, the dragonborn can be shaped depending on the questions you ask. It would be a difficult task to program a moral alignment system for the Dragonborn, as that would require a lot of editing. I don't think class would be as difficult to program since all it does is give preset skill points and spells.

How would the player be thrown into the world? If we can't go with complexity, we could always take the Morrowind start with the player exiting the docks. Throwing in a random dragon attack is optional, but I would love to be thrown into panic the first minute I step into Skyrim.

Edited by Drag3ndz

Didn't read every reply but had a thought...

Dovahkiin as a follower or perhaps the inverse...

I have often enjoyed stories where the main character was someone who accompanied the hero, and the effects that company had on the character, for instance, the black company was written from the narrative of the medic, and the series is about the group rather than the self. I have had, on more than one occasion, felt that playing a follower or companion would be a great delivery method for a game, however not one of bethesda's sandbox romps, the third person player character really kind of limits itself to a very linear story line.

Perhaps you help the Dovahkiin escape, and he becomes your pocket wookie, owing you a life debt, thus the two of you set out on a grand adventure. You get to experience the content, the only real problem would be getting that dovahkiin voiced.

Anyway my two cents.

What you have there is the frame work for a mod that could justifiably be called the ULTIMATE ROLE PLAYERS MOD.

oh stop being so melodramatic :P

OP, the idea seems good, but how will you manage shouts? it's mentioned that most nords can learn them with years of practice, but that would be kind of hard to simulate. maybe allow unlocking a learned word every X levels?

As to expanding the faction questlines, i think that's a horrible idea and you shouldn't do it. Not because they don't need expanding (they really do) but because it doesn't seem relevant here, and it doesn't fit within the scope of the mod. I would say limit it to restructuring the early storyline and triggers, and altering shour progression. not much more than that is needed.

I would say the simplest thing to do is have the storyline be automatically set to Full Dragon Plague mode. Which normally only occurs after the dragon resurrection event at kynesgrove. so that nothing is required from the player to make dragons start appearing. Also unlock the gate of whiterun and replace the stupid guard out front that won't let you in.

• 1 month later...

I've found two that allow you alternative starts so far - You are Not the Dragonborn and Alternate Starting Factions. I am currently using Alternate Starting Faction, and apparently you can change your mind, delete 1 file and get the main quest started.

Just thought I'd mention them in case you wanted to contact the authors. Awesome idea and best of luck :)