How to get chorme texture to show up in game

strungout

Mostly in the title. I've made a guitar in blender. It shows up in geck preview and looks nice but ingame, the tuners are just the grey of the texture I used, can't see the chrome effect on them. Tutorials, tricks, or whatever, I appreciate it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24nzp595j8s49ql/AcousticGuitar01.rar?dl=0

EDIT: reuploaded the file as a .rar, apparently it didn't get added or something...

Edited by strungout

strungout - Hello!

"Hmm... after searching around, trying oblivion tutorials and finding nothing of use, a thought occurred to me: if it was possible to have chrome, there would be 1000 mods with chromed weapons and armor... So I guess it's not possible. Meh."

Yes it is possible to get chromed objects in game, actually fairly easy too. :smile:

There are even vanilla objects that are set up as (aged) chrome, check out those deco Valkyries like:

statuechromevalk.nif

I also use chrome on several of my weapon mods like "Deckard's gun from Blade Runner":

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/22113/?

& "AMT Hardballer Long Slide weapon pack"

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/21744/?

"reuploaded the file as a .rar, apparently it didn't get added or something..."

I just get an error page so I can't see your file.

"How to get chorme texture to show up in game "

The trick is to edit your .nif in Nifskope, specifically the part of the mesh you want to be chrome.

In Nifskope Go to that part's NiTriStrips & open its BSShaderPPLightingProperty, in its Block Details at the bottom you'll see "Shader Flags".

Left clicking on those flags will call up a pull down where you can tick other shader flags, within that list find & tick SF_Environment_Mapping.

That tells the model part affected to use Environment shaders, you now have to set which ones.

Bellow the BSShaderPPLightingProperty is a BSShaderTextureSet, where you set the diffuse & normal map textures.

Under the diffuse & normal map are other slots for other texures, the second to last is the Environment which you need to set to Chrome_e.dds.

Chrome_e.dds is a vanilla chrome effect, you'll need to extract it from the "Fallout - Textures.bsa" & place it in your:

\Data\Textures\Effects

So that it can be selected in that slot within Nifskope.

There's also a Bronze_e.dds, ShinyBright_e.dds & ShinyDull_e.dds which work in the same way but provide different effects.

The last texture slot in BSShaderTextureSet is the Environment Mask which is a black & white version of your diffuse texture, adjusted to suit the amount of chrome effect you want.

Dark areas will be duller & brighter areas will have more of the effect applied, rather like how the specular map works.

Areas with no chrome can be pure black to mask it.

It can also be left empty if that produces the result you want but fine tuning requires a texture.

Take a look at the textures in those examples I mentioned for an idea how this works.

By adjusting your custom Environment Mask (_em) texture you can greatly change the effect the chrome has on your model, I've used the Chrome_e.dds & Bronze_e.dds for many materials like Nickel & silver just by adjusting the _em texture.

Important to remember that loading a model into & saving out of Blender tends to turn off the SF_Environment_Mapping shader flag so it's best to check it's all still set after using Blender to edit a model.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

@Prensa: Dude, that is awesome, thank you for sharing this info! Finally my guitars' hardware will look right! It already looks cool without an environment mask, but I'll have to play with one cause it's reeaally shiny. I'll have to adjust it so that the pipboy light won't make it so bright.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it, I had given up.

strungout - Hello!

"Dude, that is awesome, thank you for sharing this info! Finally my guitars' hardware will look right!"

Happy to have helped! :)

"It already looks cool without an environment mask, but I'll have to play with one cause it's reeaally shiny. I'll have to adjust it so that the pipboy light won't make it so bright."

It's a great effect & can add a lot to a model.

Experimenting with an Environment Mask (_em) texture can really enhance it too.

Prensa