Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #56003801. #56015706 is also a reply to the same post.

Ruhadre wrote: All I hear about the new design is how buggy it is. Nothings been improved. Personally, I don't really care, as I exclusively only use the old links. Every time I land on the new design by accident...I just cringe. So I'm ok with the new design as long as it doesn't slow down performance on the old site links.

I do hope there isn't a plan to eventually get rid of the old site links. I will have nothing to do with the nexus if I am forced to use the new design. Oh, you can also get rid of the annoying bar at the top trying to get me to use the new layout. It's just in my way, and being ignored.
mcdanielskh wrote: Do you not read anything before you post?
Somebody clue this guy in, i'm to tired.
Better yet, nobody tell him anything.

I do, but apparently you don't. A slew of messages got moved in here, including a few of my own. No one is downloading mods, or uploading screens with their phones. It's a bad premise from the start. If anything, they could have made Nexus messenger into a mobile app and that WOULD have been useful. You are just trolling a comment considered "old" because a bunch of messages after this were moved. Respectfully, I don't need someone who's rude, and not even a modder to be telling me anything thank you. Edited by Ruhadre

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56012786.

Jeir wrote:

Where is the common sense in mobile compatibility?! I wasn't aware that Skyrim was available for cell phones, and that you could install mods for it too! Sounds awesome! ;P I'll get a GTX 1070 installed on my Lumia 950 right away!

The people who download and install mods on the nexus are primarily PC users. I wasn't aware that you had nexus mod manager available for android, ios, or windows 10 mobile. You can't use a cell phone to take screen shots in-game very well...so screen archers also use PCs! The ONLY time that I can think of for ever needing to use the nexus on my phone is if I wanted to leave a post about something, or reply to a message. It would have been smarter to make nexus messenger into a phone app, not the entire site.

The entire premise of desktop and mobile compatibility is not a logical one when it comes to practical usage of the site to begin with. So pardon me, if I still feel like I'm not getting a decent answer here out of all those walls of semi-polite excuses. Resources are being wasted on making the community mad, when it could be applied elsewhere in ways that make much more sense!

Dark0ne said earlier in the thread about this (note: this is not accusatory about you not knowing of every single post, just informative...although, from my memory rather than stuff I can quote, so maybe not 100% accurate).

Currently mobile traffic counts for 18% of all traffic to the Nexus sites. Given how the vast majority of people seem to have trouble moving their eyes away from mobile screens nowadays, it is somewhat smart to try to make it easier for mobile users to browse the site. Many sites provide apps (e.g. Imgur), some have separate pages for if you're browsing on desktop or mobile, with different formats suitable for what's used (e.g. Wikipedia), while some try to make an all-in-one for both mobile and desktop (e.g. Youtube). Most of the time, such as with the 'new Nexus', these 'all-in-one sites' just mean making everything a lot bigger and more spaced out to make it easier for fingers to poke links on small screens, with a strong focus on images and videos. As someone who only browses on desktop, the first two options are what I consider to be the best way to support the various platforms, as it makes things a lot more suitable for the users needs according to what they're currently using, without impacting others.

Why the Nexus team went with the third option is probably because they want to make the site and Vortex much more integrated. As it's being coded by the author of MO, I'd assume it would be a cross betwen NMM and MO, with some added bells and whistles. For one, the idea is that you can browse on your phone, 'save' the mods you're interested in somehow, and then download them later once you get to a desktop/laptop. I guess it would be 'easier' than just using the tracking centre (maybe auto-downloads? Click a button, all 'saved' mods get downloaded?). At least, that's how I understood it. I suppose it would be more difficult to do this with an app/'m.' site, and would mean having to code a website for desktop, a website for touchscreen (app/m.) as well as Vortex itself.

I state all of this as someone who does not like the new site design (and has no interest in Vortex), but rather than scrapping it, would prefer a merger between the two, allowing the Nexus team to reach what they set out to do with the site, while providing the same functionality and efficiency as the old site. Largely this would just involve providing options to shrink things down, and/or removing unnecessary elements (and giving real 'list' views!). Old post. I could probably go further than what I put in my old post into what changes I'd like to see being made, but that would just make this post way too big. =P

~

Different topic: Will we be getting 'Manage mods I have access to' back in the Mods dropdown, or is it going to be kept as the 'Mods -> Manage my mods -> Files (Others)' long way around?

Thank you for being respectful and informative in your reply. There seems to be a lot of trolls under this bridge lately, lol. Ok, 18% mobile traffic. What is that traffic doing exactly? Looking at pictures, and leaving posts. NOT downloading mods, or uploading images. Rather than alter the entire site for less than 1/5 the traffic that can't even use most of the site's functions (Spock would have a seizure trying to comprehend the logic), it is WAY cheaper to have just improved the messenger and maybe the image section. That's all. The community wasn't listened to at all. We keep saying, "No new site", and just get ignored. Many of them are taking this topic to reddit to discuss it, because they just feel ignored here. We aren't going to hunt through 40 pages of trolling for some mystery post that probably should of just been stated clearly in the original announcement to begin with. That's just playing coy imo. Is it the community's fault that tons of money got dumped into this failure against our wishes? No. Our opinions are just being shrugged off, and we didn't come to this community for that. And now you have wanna-be fan boys trolling this thread just ticking people off even more. My my my....what an interesting mess this has become. One last thing, mobile traffic is almost always done over wireless. A form of internet that will never beat a wired connection. People have it in their heads that smartphones are real computers when they simply aren't. They are good for calls, texts, checking email...surfing the web, not so much. Better to use a tablet in that situation. Edited by Ruhadre

As a front-end developer for many years, I applaud @Dark0ne and the staff at Nexus for the fixes and updates they have made to the new design. It has certainly improved BUT, in terms of HCI (Human Computer Interaction), it remains flawed. The new design is not as good as the old design and this must be worrying for the Nexus team. If it does not worry them, then I am worried for the future of the Nexus.

In my humble opinion, the new design in its current state will cost the Nexus to lose a section of its LOYAL fanbase. That is a very dangerous game to play.

It has been established what is disliked about the new design: Visual overload, poor use of colour theory, not intuitive, doesn't flow, too much scrolling etc. These are school boy errors BUT, they are trying to remedy those problems.

It appears to me that the UI developers have tried to copy the current trends for web design instead of just building on the strengths of the the old design and augmenting those features.

The old saying 'You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' certainly rings true in this instance.

Edited by jjc71

I guess my thought boils down to a simple question for those posters who are just rage-posting in this thread and not adding anything useful to the devs, and this isn't a shot at any of the last posts, either, just something I've become aware of.

When doing a fresh install, let me ask you this: Do you install all your texture mods first, and then install SKSE64? Or do you install SKSE64 first, and then make sure it's stable before adding a lot of visual overhauls to the game?

The admins, I believe, are trying to do the equivalent of make sure their SKSE64 is stable before adding a lot of visual touches (no point in wasting time on visuals if the engine is going to crash). I also get the distinct impression that the old site was obsolete in terms of scripting engine and site design. As was hinted by SirSalami, the old site couldn't scale up to meet the demands of the customer base, nor the needs of the admins. What do I mean by scale up? I mean a purely physical limitation on how many people can access the site--that would be just one instance.

Does no one here remember trying to download mods through NMM and sitting there waiting and waiting and waiting when the old site was jumping and everyone was on? Yeah, and then half the time, if the site was that busy, the download would corrupt. And sometimes, it corrupted in such a way that you may not have noticed for days--a single mesh could be missing.

That is what I imagine that they are currently working on--the overall aesthetic will come in time, once the site is stable and secure to their specifications, and we have no way of knowing all their specifications because that's their business as site admins. There's probably very good reasons they're not showing their hand at this stage. We have no way of knowing other than what Dark0ne and others choose to let us know. They're very clearly on a time table, and have been pretty good about staying to it so far.

In response to post #56024606.

jjc71 wrote: As a front-end developer for many years, I applaud @Dark0ne and the staff at Nexus for the fixes and updates they have made to the new design. It has certainly improved BUT, in terms of HCI (Human Computer Interaction), it remains flawed. The new design is not as good as the old design and this must be worrying for the Nexus team. If it does not worry them, then I am worried for the future of the Nexus.

In my humble opinion, the new design in its current state will cost the Nexus to lose a section of its LOYAL fanbase. That is a very dangerous game to play.

It has been established what is disliked about the new design: Visual overload, poor use of colour theory, not intuitive, doesn't flow, too much scrolling etc. These are school boy errors BUT, they are trying to remedy those problems.

It appears to me that the UI developers have tried to copy the current trends for web design instead of just building on the strengths of the the old design and augmenting those features.

The old saying 'You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' certainly rings true in this instance.

quote jjc71 "... It has been established what is disliked about the new design: Visual overload, poor use of colour theory, not intuitive, doesn't flow, too much scrolling..."

And i thought i am alone because nothing is changing on the new design
i said some days ago that the new nexus feels like a picture managment software what is a kind of a visual overload ;) maybe

they simply should try out making more room between the pictures
i know, the new design is a "trend" but not all trends are good in special the win10 design. if some1 wanna feel what a clear and easy design is: switch to windows classic (win98) and give the foreground windows a red head and background windows blue. no more shiny "glass" and glossy.
aero is such a brain f*#@ ;) it just looks good but you can't work with this for a longer time...brain will tiring earlier.
same with nexus
so please take care of this picture overload

* more space between pictures
* bigger or bold letters for important informations (version, release/update - date)
* a possibility to switch to a 4 column design (maybe will get obsolete if the 3/5 column design is easy to read)
* some color lining leading the eye/brain to navigation buttons or important infos.

Dear Devs, heads up :)= i know sometimes it´s hard to hear people thinking that different because there was so much work to achieve this state and now it is not good enough, hell ya :)
happy xmas time!

A reminder of what Dark0ne said about the UI in the very first post of the New Nexus Mods design launched announcement thread (emphasis added):

<snip>

A note on the UI, UX and overall look. When we started this process we worked with a professional designer to create the initial mockups because we didn't have a full-time designer ourselves. The designer we worked with was great, but naturally as we didn't have him full-time and our work on the code took way longer than initially anticipated, it meant that he could only go so far. As such, the current design on the new site is, I'd say, 75% the designer's following good UI/UX principles, and 25% ours, without expert supervision (and likely lacking good UI/UX principles). We've had to change or add functionality that was missed in the original mockups that was not done by a UI/UX professional and as such, we're aware there are some areas of the site that, already, could do with the touch of an expert. Thankfully, our very own UI and UX designer has begun working from our office now. Her initial focus is going to be solely on Vortex, the mod manager to replace NMM. I can tell you right now, I'm extremely excited about her work from what I've seen so far and I think she's going to do great things for both Vortex and the Nexus Mods sites.

Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready.

<snip>

In response to post #56026076.

Thandal wrote:

A reminder of what Dark0ne said about the UI in the very first post of the New Nexus Mods design launched announcement thread (emphasis added):

<snip>

A note on the UI, UX and overall look. When we started this process we worked with a professional designer to create the initial mockups because we didn't have a full-time designer ourselves. The designer we worked with was great, but naturally as we didn't have him full-time and our work on the code took way longer than initially anticipated, it meant that he could only go so far. As such, the current design on the new site is, I'd say, 75% the designer's following good UI/UX principles, and 25% ours, without expert supervision (and likely lacking good UI/UX principles). We've had to change or add functionality that was missed in the original mockups that was not done by a UI/UX professional and as such, we're aware there are some areas of the site that, already, could do with the touch of an expert. Thankfully, our very own UI and UX designer has begun working from our office now. Her initial focus is going to be solely on Vortex, the mod manager to replace NMM. I can tell you right now, I'm extremely excited about her work from what I've seen so far and I think she's going to do great things for both Vortex and the Nexus Mods sites.

Once we're happy with Vortex she will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready.

<snip>

That, did not inspire anyone with confidence about what it happening. Even less so. If it's a matter of money, how much does Dark0ne want to forget this current new design idea and return to the old site? My brother is a project manager over a team of web designers, and he believes the "professional" you used for the new design has taken you all for a ride.

I'd be totally willing to invest in the nexus if the old site were to remain. I was going to before I heard about all this new design nonsense. I will not invest in it if it's going to be turned into some amateur science project. Give us this option at least! Do the math and see how much it will take for you to forget about the new design, and see if the community is willing to pay it. Money talks right? There is absolutely nothing to lose by seeing if the community is willing to do this.

In response to post #55978456. #55978716, #55979306, #55979686 are all replies on the same post.

chickenjoe208 wrote: I really like the redesign.
The shitstorm below is just hilarious. Honestly, some people need to seriously calm down a bit.

In my opinion, they did a great job with the new layout and I am SO glad they finally made the site responsive, so even if you have an older and tiny smartphone (like I have) the page looks good.
So thank you for that! :)
sopmac45 wrote: I do like it also. It does look awesome in my two computers ( apple and windows ) and my phone. I can see now that it is faster than before, much faster and I agree, they did a great job.

And some will continue expressing their disagreement in different ways. C'mon, we are 7 thousand million people on the planet and every single one of us is a different world. We should not expect that everyone accept and love the new site and that is fine and completely understandable.

The thing is that it is what it is and we are not going back, so we have a lot of people happy with it ( and I represent myself ) and some that will continue very unhappy. Perhaps 6 months from now, they will turn to accept it and finally love it.
Ethreon wrote: It's perfectly fine to dislike the new look, and to express it. But when you express your dislike bring in some ideas too, otherwise it's just useless noise.
spoonsinger wrote: Converse to that is what about the new design is better? Is it more functional? Is the "work flow" more efficient? Does it provide actual tangible benefits to the user over the previous design? The look and feel, (i.e. flat or not flat), are is subjective. It's how the site actually works for you or me as the user which matters.

What annoys me most, is the tone people use to express their dislike. Honestly, what's with all the hate? Is it really necessary to use that kind of language?
I mean, there are a lot of things on the web, I don't like, but insulting the developers, is definitely NOT the way, you get anything you want.

I tried to jot down a few things that I personally like better. I know, that it's a tough topic, because - of course - everyone likes different things, but there we go.

1) It looks a lot better on a bigger screen
The old layout had a width of 960px and (as a frontend-developer) I think that it's ... old? out-of-style? maybe both, to have a web-layout that narrow, when the average screen width is at about 1300px.
You waste a lot of space that way and now, that it's responsive, it actually scales with the screen and you don't have to scroll yourself silly.

2) It looks a lot better on a smaller screen
Like I wrote in my original post, if a website doesn't have a mobile version or isn't responsive, it's a huge pain in the backside to surf on your phone - not anymore.

3) I visit the site almost daily, if not several times a day, and I didn't miss a single feature up until now.
True, maybe I'm not doing it right ;) but I don't feel lost on the site ad everything I need, I found.

4) What I really like is the new gallery widget, but that, too, is a matter of personal taste.

It all comes down to personal taste, if we're honest. And spamming the comments with "I hate this" and "I hate that" and "Change it back immediately" will help NO ONE.
And it most certainly won't make Dark0ne overthrow the entire layout, because people (who HAD THE CHANCE to speak their mind) whine about it.

(Phew, that was a long one^^)