Skyrim CTD from switch pause menu items

CJSmith668

This just started happening today. Have no idea why it decided to do this. When I enter the pause menu and I hit LT or RT to change catagories, It crashes without warning except for once, every freakin time. I have mods installed, but have hours on them with no problems. yes I'm using the 360 controller. FXAA or not, still does it. Tried compatability mode, disabling other mods, tried offline and online, with and without steam sync, empting temporary files. Still no difference. The first and only warning I have received over the 20 ctds in 15 min refered to a failure for the steam buildbot x64 something...

Do you have all of these?

• SkyUI Installed
  • the Unofficial Skyrim Patch installed
  • the Ancient Knowledge power

If so, then it appears to be a known issue. It's why I'm waiting for an update to either the USKP or SkyUI that addresses this problem.

EDIT: I just saw that USKP Beta 1.02 is available and the first item in the changelog is "Fixed crash to desktop when the magic menu is opened if SkyUI is installed". I've verified that my crashes are resolved.

Edited by CarlCorey

Have you removed or updated a mod lately? Did it have a custom spell or shout that had possibly become your Favorite Spell or Favorite Shout in the Magic tab of the General Stats tab? That would cause the same kind of crash you are describing.

When ever I get menu crashes, it's always a corrupted save (autosave). I blast autosaves on a regular basis and it doesn't happen as often. I find that mods with custom menus have a tendency to corrupt saves (skyui, better sorting, imps needs, AKM). I regularly use the console save function: ~ then type save [name of save game]

I do this before fast travel and before and after accomplishing quests. This saves me a lot of grief.

• 1 month later...

Getting same problem....

I uninstalled SkyUI... didnt fix it

Unplugged my controller.... Still crashes when just using keyboard and mouse.

Its like clock work, open the pause menu try to go left or right on the categories and BOOM CTD......

• 2 weeks later...

Getting same problem....

I uninstalled SkyUI... didnt fix it

Unplugged my controller.... Still crashes when just using keyboard and mouse.

Its like clock work, open the pause menu try to go left or right on the categories and BOOM CTD......

• 2 weeks later...

Have you removed or updated a mod lately? Did it have a custom spell or shout that had possibly become your Favorite Spell or Favorite Shout in the Magic tab of the General Stats tab? That would cause the same kind of crash you are describing.

That is exactly what happened to me when I uninstalled advanced destruction, I have no clue about mods and fixes, what do I do?

The easiest way would be to re-install Advanced Destruction so that you can open the Magic tab in General Stats without crashing, turn on god mode in the console, cast a vanilla spell (destruction would be best so as not to raise skills) over and over until your Favorite Spell changes, save and then uninstall the mod.

The easiest way would be to re-install Advanced Destruction so that you can open the Magic tab in General Stats without crashing, turn on god mode in the console, cast a vanilla spell (destruction would be best so as not to raise skills) over and over until your Favorite Spell changes, save and then uninstall the mod.

Worked great, big thank you. :D

• 3 weeks later...
I have this exact problem, it happened when I tried to fix random ctds I was getting. Though this ctd happened with was fiddling with my prefs, so its definitely not anything to do with mods installed , it;s something in your skyrim prefs