ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Extending Faction Quests

Greymane

I'd like to call this more of a communial pooling of ideas than a mod request, strictly speaking. I've no skill to perform it myself, beyond writing, and would never expect a modder to do it for me (but would not object). By and large, I was satisified with the faction quests in Skyrim. Some were better than others (Thieves Guild compared to, say, Winterhold Academy), but I enjoyed them. Yet, what ultimately bothered me about all of them was where they ended.

In each and every quest line, the player be named leader of the faction. This SOUNDS interesting, at first, until you realize that becoming leader is the END of quests. You may still have a few radient quests you can perform, but as for story related things? That is it. After spending the entire quest line being bossed around, told what to do, insulted, and generally unapprecited, your deeds are at last recognized and you are raised to a position of authority... and then never given a single chance to exersize that authority on anything. You never get to plan a heist as the Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild (nor are you ever called upon to defend Nightingale Hall, despite that supposedly being the ONLY earthly disadvantage of being a Nightingale) or organize a study expedition as Arch-Mage of Winterhold or lead a warband as Harbinger.

I would LOVE to be able to set off a questline where the Academy, under my leadership and by my order, begins focusing it's talents and resources on the restoration of Winterhold City (instead of ignoring it beyond to say "Yes, yes, very sad. IT WASN'T US. All that human loss, that we had nothing to do with. Now, do you mind running along, bothersome little Arch-Mage? Since what happened wasn't our fault or anything."). 'Push back' the sea to uncover old wreckage and deal with old ghosts, send or take my students and staff out to adventure (Practical Applications of Magic 101) and gather treasures and knowledge from dungeons, negotiating loans from school resources to people attempting to restart industries in the town and having to deal with the troubles when some turn out to be untrustworthy or hampered by outside forces and the potential internal backlash from the facality at the cuts to their own salaries this might result in, trying to reach a state of peaceful co-existance with people who distrusts us and a Jarl who actively dispise us and may even seek to sabotage reconstruction efforts regardless of the hurt they do his own people...

Opinions? Ideas? Lets hear both.