Just need the right direction lads.

FrogTheFirst

As far as I can tell there are no ways of adding textures through the CK. If someone is taking a model straight to the CK, then it's either already been textured beforehand or it uses vanilla textures.

FO4 uses something that resembles PBR shading, but retains pieces of the traditional Specular / Glossiness workfow from Bethesda's older games. I don't know how 3ds max can do in terms of converting one texture to another, so I'm not entirely sure. I use Substance Painter which textures using Metallic and Roughness materials and later convert these materials to Diffuse and Specular (with Roughness on green channel).

My Substance Painter workflow uses the equivalent of "Physical Material" in 3ds.

Fallout 4 uses something in between "Physical Material" and "Standard Material".

The channels you'll need for utilizing most of FO4's shading capability is

1. Diffuse/Base color

2. Metalness/Specular

3. Roughness/Glossiness

4. Normal Map

Got me lost to be honest, I don't know most of those terms (specular, etc) and I can't find a complete tutorial that specifies all the steps to do and softwares to use to put a new mesh into fo4. I'll start UV unwrapping tonight I think, I have some time for myself. It's not really complicated apparently and I can do it on 3ds. But the texturing part seem a bit more tricky. Some people say I can't use GIMP (format problems or something) and idk how I could get Photoshop since it's not free for students. Maybe a trial copy for now. Also I was not planning to use FO4 if possible, just CK.

Edited by FrogTheFirst

You can use whatever you get your hands on and convert it to the appropriate format with Paint.NET. It's free and supports most of the DDS format used in FO4.

Texturing is pretty intimidating if you're working in 2D. It's a discipline of its own, just like every other stage in the modding pipeline ha.