A few questions on LOD

payl0ad

Hello everybody,

I've been obsessed with FO4's ugly LOD visuals ever since running with uGrids set to 7, which is a start but still pretty stupid. On top of that, most vegetation mods don't even include LOD, so you always have those damn ugly trees in the far distance no matter what you do. I've used DyndoLOD for Skyrim and it's a day-and-night difference. I expect FO4 will not have this, but we should be able to get close.

Luckily, this is a BGS game, so this should be fixable.

I already found out that FO4 only knows statics when talking about LOD, so no tree billboard fumbling like in Skyrim. I decompressed the relevant parts of the archive files and browsed through a few static records. Some of them have LOD, some don't. Great. I can see the low-detail meshes in NifSkope and could change their textures using GIMP.

I'd like to try and rebuild LOD data for Commonwealth Conifers REDUX. However, I can see that the mod does not include LOD nifs. If I understood correctly, I need those LOD nifs to regenerate LOD in the CK or FO4LODGen (to ultimately see them in game) - is this correct or can I just replace the vanilla LOD nifs using override meshes and they'd show up in the game?

Second question: If I don't have the nifs for the LOD levels, how would I go about creating them? Do I need to edit the mesh in Blender or is there an automated way of generating the low-detail mesh? Can NifSkope do this by any chance ? I don't mind manual labor, I'd just like to avoid having to touch the actual triangles by means of Blender because I'd have to learn yet another tool and I'm kinda lazy.

Finally, if there's any good resources on this matter, I'd appreciate any link you can give me. Thanks for reading!

Yes. I actually tried running FO4LODGen a few times, but as I don't have other resources (LOD nifs) I could only try using the vanilla resources. It works, provides a tiny bit more detailed LOD. Emphasis on TINY. :(

I also found out that I should be able to replace the LOD diffuse textures with a double-resolution version, if I can find a way to sharpen the images to a degree where you actually see more detail. Doesn't really help me in what I want to do but it's nice to know.

Speaking of "can I just replace the vanilla LOD nifs using override meshes and they'd show up in the game?"... you can't. Those lod models (in meshes\lod) are for the system to refer to while generating lod for the whole worldspace. So you can override them but still have to re-gen world lod using either ck or f4lodgen.

I know for sure there is an automatic way to create a low-poly from high-poly mesh in 3ds max, blender and zbrush. But i'm no 3d artist myself, so can't tell you in advance.