Skyrim Graphical Glitches due to drivers

KDStudios

Okay so ATI was nagging me to update my Catalyst from 11.11 to 12.2 and instead of turning off the notifications I figured:

"Okay so everytime I update anything, it seems to mess up these days. But surely nothing can go wrong now? Right?"

WRONG.

So I updated and threw up Skyrim to give it a test.

Naturally as expected the resolution was messed up. 1080p no longer fit my lovely full screen. It was an inch smaller >.> Grr.

AND to add insult to a small scratch of an injury... I had graphical glitches everywhere. It was like watching a 240p version of a 1080p video on youtube.

The settings are fine, the game installation is fine.

So instead of figuring out the problem I just sighed and restored my computer back to before the update.

Now.

This is more for a friend than me.

She is experiencing something very similar to me.

I cannot say whether she has ATI or Nvidia but she definitely has one of them.

It's very similar to what I had.

She cannot roll back due to a hard drive failure.

The game installation is fine. Don't advise on that :P

This is what she gets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dogva1onv7A

You can rollback your drivers, or turn off AA in the game launcher (you can force it in CCC if you want), or there is a user-made patch uploaded to Skyrim Nexus you can try.

Like I said, she can't roll back her drivers due to a hard drive failure. It's all fresh now.

All her other games are fine.

I'll get her to try turning off AA.

But for me however... Considering it was fine on pre updating I think I'll stick with my older drivers :P I'm not sacrificing AA for newer drivers and a smaller screen.

This issue is more important because she posts gameplay videos on youtube and I'm rather enjoying her playthrough.

Anyone knows how to fix this yet?

This has only been open an hour n a half.

I'm assuming you're having the same/similar problem?

Mind posting a screenshot?

Edited by KDStudios

There are several current threads with the same issue. When downloading the AMD drivers there is a link to previous versions on the same page so that you can download it, uninstall the current, and install the old. Turning off AA in the gam launcher is the easiest and you can still force AA in CCC by unchecking Use Application Settings and then selecting the desired AA settings. AMD ATI AA Pixelization Square Artifacts Glitch Hotfix by Guru82 is the patch I spoke of.

There are several current threads with the same issue. When downloading the AMD drivers there is a link to previous versions on the same page so that you can download it, uninstall the current, and install the old. Turning off AA in the gam launcher is the easiest and you can still force AA in CCC by unchecking Use Application Settings and then selecting the desired AA settings. AMD ATI AA Pixelization Square Artifacts Glitch Hotfix by Guru82 is the patch I spoke of.

I downloaded it by steam, could you please provide me that link of the older version?

Also trying the patch you gave.

Edited by Donatoo

Ah I didn't see anyway.

I didn't download the drivers that way I just agreed to let it update itself.

I won't trouble myself anyway. Everything works fine.

If in the distant future I 'need' to update my drivers to even play a game then sure I'll do it. Until then... Nope.

I'll throw all these suggests at her anyway. Hopefully she can get back to posting Skyrim videos soon.

Thanks again :)

Hope it works.

...I downloaded it by steam, could you please provide me that link of the older version?...

If you go to www.amd.com to download your drivers you choose your hardware type, then specific hardware, then operating system, and etc. After it opens the page for the current driver the link to previous drivers is on that page (if the page background is black it is probably halfway down the description in the center, if the page background is white it is probably in a panel on the right hand side).

Here are the links to the unified packages for previous versions of AMD CCC Vista/Win7 32bit & 64bit:

Previous Catalyst™ Display Drivers for Windows Vista (32 bit)

Previous Catalyst™ Display Drivers for Windows Vista (64 bit)

The links on the specific search pages were screwy when I looked. The 64bit one worked but the 32bit one went to an empty page so I manually entered it and it worked.