Converting mod to loose files for merging

thrax7545

Does anyone have experience unpacking ba2 files and using them loose? Do you need to edit the .esp somehow?

I'd really like to be able to unpack all of my weapon mods so that I can combine them in merge plugins. When you combine mods with ba2 files, the merged plugin won't find the textures. I've had some success unpacking certain mods and re zipping them to activate through NMM, but I can't seem to get any of the weapon mods to work. When I unpack them and activate the new zip through NMM, I'll get a CTD when I encounter the texture in game.

I figure there must be some trick to this, and after exhausting google trying to find any info on it, I'd thought I'd see if anyone here could point me in the right direction...

You should always keep files in ba2 archives, not because its necessary but because it reduces load time (a lot, if were talking about a lot of data)

What you could do is unpack the ba2 archive of each individual mod, then repack all the data into a new ba2 archive, it should be named after your merged .esp, in the same manner the vanilla ba2 archives are named

PluginNameHere - Main.ba2

Steve40- really? I thought I had tried this.

So, I unpack the ba2, and zip the unpacked files into a new zip archive that I import into NMM and activate like normal?

I'll give it another shot. I tried it with the new bozar bullpup I think, and just got CTD as soon as I mouse over the bozar in Arturo's merchant inventory...

christoph392008- Yea I use this tool alot, and unfortunately the merged mod can't access the textures. You don't get a CTD though, you just get invisible weapons...

Edited by thrax7545

*Solved*

I went over to BAE's page to see if there was an update, and there was (v.1) but apparently it has trouble extracting textures that use sRGB format files (which should instead be linear format), so it won't extract the files of any mod that uses this format.

I checked the posts on that page, and people were experiencing the same problem I was who were also using the outdated version I was using (v.04) The problem being that the old version tells you the extraction is complete when it's not, which will lead you to using a loose file mod that is missing the sRGB textures it couldn't extract.

The solution? Use the official tool.

Of course...

For anyone having this problem and looking for the how to on that:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Archive2

Thanks again everyone, and happy wastelanding...

Edited by thrax7545

• 11 months later...

im using more then 100 mods-and loose files newer was a problem-so now it gets i g2 remake all off them into BA2-thats insane....f*#@ the betsheda...i have perfectly working game,but now reinstalled it on another pc-and all mods didnt work anymore... and without mods this game is just crap..

Edited by rollan5

ps. ..... long loading times causing only couple mods, not all of them.. its easy to avoid them..Some people say that BA2's are faster than loose files. ... decompress the files but without any data to back it up this observation is irrelevant) ... loose files but the plugin itself and changing your load order for loose file priority ...

Edited by rollan5