Patch 1.5 Smithing Bug

Midwinter1888

I think there's a bug attactched to the Smithing skill by patch 1.5: all smithing experientce is multiplied by a massive factor.

My character had a Smithing skill of 70. I made a silver necklace at a forge and my skill jumped to 74. After making a few more things my Smithing skill is maxed-out at 101 and I've gained several levels. I had no problem with Smithing yesterday (before the patch).

This may seem like a free lunch bug, but it feels too much like cheating to be acceptable.

Can anyone suggest a fix? Is there a way to use the console to slow the rate at which I gain experience while smithing?

Ah was wondering why my Smithing seemed to be freaking out.

I use the SKSE plugin Skyrim Community Uncapper and that can reduce skill speed gain. Normally I play with Smithing at half the vanilla rate but with a new character and 5 Smithing skill it jumped to skill level 18 after making 1 thing of arrows from Complete Crafting Overhaul. Also seems to be counting something that makes more than 1 item, like a bundle of 20 arrows, as 20 individual items as making the arrows jumped the skill faster than making 1 individual item. So I had to reduce the Smithing to 0.01 to make it feel about right, still seems a little on the fast side but at least it's not 5 skill points for 1 item.

I had to reduce the Smithing to 0.01 to make it feel about right, still seems a little on the fast side but at least it's not 5 skill points for 1 item.

Thanks, but I still need a little help here. I'm guessing I need a console input of 'player.forceav' but that's as far as my knowledge stretches. I tried 'player.forceav smithing 0.01' and it didn't change a thing.

Individually switching off all my mods that have anything to do with crafting/smithing hasn't worked either.

Edited by Midwinter1888

It is caused by any mod that adds new perks to the Smithing tree. What is happening is that Bethesda changed the way that Smithing works, and they updated the Smithing Actor Value settings to work with that. The issue is that any mod that either made changes to the Smithing Actor Value or added a new Smithing Perk to the Smithing tree (thus altering the Smithing Actor Value because the perk tree data is in there) reverts the settings to pre-1.5, and you end up with excessive Smithing leveling.

It is simple to fix by simply setting the Smithing Actor Value numbers in the offending mod to the same numbers as used by default Skyrim 1.5:

They need to be:

Skill Use Mult: 1

Skill Use Offset: 0

Skill Improve Mult: 1

Skill Improve Offset: 20

It is caused by any mod that adds new perks to the Smithing tree. What is happening is that Bethesda changed the way that Smithing works, and they updated the Smithing Actor Value settings to work with that. The issue is that any mod that either made changes to the Smithing Actor Value or added a new Smithing Perk to the Smithing tree (thus altering the Smithing Actor Value because the perk tree data is in there) reverts the settings to pre-1.5, and you end up with excessive Smithing leveling.

It is simple to fix by simply setting the Smithing Actor Value numbers in the offending mod to the same numbers as used by default Skyrim 1.5:

They need to be:

Where do I go to change this? Console? CK? A little more detail would be awesome :)

They need to be:

Where do I go to change this? Console? CK? A little more detail would be awesome :)

yes please do... would really like to know where to change these lines...

That would be the CK. You'd need to open the .esp set as the active file and navigate from the top menu, Character, to Actor Values.

From that window, scroll down to Smithing. You'll see the fields there.

Edit: in More Craftables, the values are a little different.

Skill Use Mult: 1.0000

Skill Use Offset: 0.0000

Skill Improve Mult: 0.2500

Skill Improve Offset: 300.0000

Maybe it's not fixed yet?

Edited by angelmeats