ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Exported first ever mesh, invisible body in game

AdmiralAlbia

I've just fiished my first ever mesh conversion, of the robes Alexius/Felix wear in Inquisition (I know, I know, but it looked like a good project to learn on), and tried to export it into Origins. Resolved all of the errors thrown by Eshme's exporter, made a test item in the toolset... aaaand my test character's body is invisible.

I'm not sure what's wrong. I've fiddled with the filenames until I'm sure they're perfect (and re-exported every time to avoid mistakes), checked and double-checked my GDA extension, tried re-importing the mesh using Eshme's importer and it works fine, and at this point I'm kind of out of ideas. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I'd really appreciate some help.

The files are too big to upload to the forums, so I've uploaded them here instead.

Do you have any other clothing mods installed?

That it worked in the toolset, but not in-game indicates you may have an Item Variation ID conflict. (You didn't include your GDA in the archive, so I can't check the ID against my spreadsheet of Item Variations in use; Valerie1972 has a similar project posted here as a modders resource.)

Edited by theskymoves

Oh, it didn't work in the toolset - sorry for implying it did! I've had situations before where something broke in the toolset but worked fine in game, so I didn't think much of it.

It's not an item variation ID conflict - I checked your spreadsheet :smile: It's using Clothing 175.

I'm fairly sure it's a mesh error now, because I just exported it again with the same filenames as the Orsino robe from Loincloth Fashion (and made sure it loaded after LF, obviously), aaaaand still no body. Unfortunately, that places it firmly in the realm of things I know almost nothing about and have no clue how to fix.

Sorry about forgetting the GDA - I've uploaded a new version with that and the uti/script files in it.

Edited by AdmiralAlbia

Oh, it didn't work in the toolset - sorry for implying it did! I've had situations before where something broke in the toolset but worked fine in game, so I didn't think much of it.

It's not an item variation ID conflict - I checked your spreadsheet :smile: It's using Clothing 175.

I'm fairly sure it's a mesh error now, because I just exported it again with the same filenames as the Orsino robe from Loincloth Fashion (and made sure it loaded after LF, obviously), aaaaand still no body. Unfortunately, that places it firmly in the realm of things I know almost nothing about and have no clue how to fix.

Sorry about forgetting the GDA - I've uploaded a new version with that and the uti/script files in it.

Ah, I apologize... I misunderstood (or rather, drew inference from your subject line that I shouldn't have).

*downloads new files and loads them into toolset*

Your port does show up in the toolset for me when I create an item and it does show up on an NPC (albeit all askew) when I equip it, though only after I rotate the NPC model in the preview window; initially he was just a floating head. (See here.)

Anything to do with actual 3d modeling is way beyond my skillset, so meh... I'm useless beyond being able to confirm that your item variation and GDA are a-okay.

Again, I apologize for responding without understanding what the question actually was. *facepalm*

Edited by theskymoves

That's fascinating, because it's still not working for me in the toolset or in the game even when I revert to the version I put in the zip! Still, it's a glimmer of hope, so thank you for trying. Hopefully somebody else can help identify the problem.

ETA: ...if it's working for you and not for me, could be my .uti is a bit wonky? Would you mind exporting yours and sending it over, please? (Admittedly that still wouldn't explain why I can't see it in the toolset when I create an item, but I'll take any lead right now :p )

Edited by AdmiralAlbia

• 4 weeks later...

Probably a bit late, I'm new to mesh stuff and know absolutely nothing about exporting but I managed to get it working in toolset and in game by using some cheap (?) fixes. I had to switch out both the mmh and msh; for the mmh I just used a renamed vanilla mmh, and for the msh I imported it into blender, re weighted it, then saved it over a vanilla msh. There was still an issue with the texture (shiny) and the claw-knuckles on one hand weighted wrong.

I suppose that means there is something wrong with the actual exporting process, but I know literally nothing about that.

Probably a bit late, I'm new to mesh stuff and know absolutely nothing about exporting but I managed to get it working in toolset and in game by using some cheap (?) fixes. I had to switch out both the mmh and msh; for the mmh I just used a renamed vanilla mmh, and for the msh I imported it into blender, re weighted it, then saved it over a vanilla msh. There was still an issue with the texture (shiny) and the claw-knuckles on one hand weighted wrong.

I suppose that means there is something wrong with the actual exporting process, but I know literally nothing about that.

MMH files contain internal data referencing the MSH and MAO (which in turn references the textures)... that info can be manually edited with pyGFF or the toolset (look around for instructions or a tutorial on making standalone/reskinned versions of existing items. (Sorry, I don't have a link.)

Edited by theskymoves

Thanks!

I did eventually get it to work - turned out I hadn't reset XForm before skinning it. Then I worked out how to export from DA2 and got kinda distracted... and now I'm beating my head against broken LODS. As you do XD

The knuckles on one hand of that mesh are actually a separate model (I don't know why, I guess BioWare hates simplicity), which probably accounts for the weird weighting you got - they're weighted fine in my game now I can actually see the thing, although they don't currently pick up the texture properly. I should get back to trying to fix that - if nothing else it'll be a reprieve from LOD hell. Until I need to make LODs for the Tevinter one, I guess...