ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Replacement for OnPlayerLoadGame?

Asterra

Don't see why this has to be so complicated. I need something to occur when the game is loaded. In Skyrim, this was painless. But now evidently I can only use this function in a "native" script, and such scripts are desperately limited in functionality. For example, I need to jumpstart a StartTimer loop when the game loads. But in a native script, I can't even so much as define a variable...

Edit: While I'm asking, it'd also be nice to know why I can't define, load or even locate scripts for use under a reference alias. It has a box for adding a script, but then it doesn't give the option to create a new one, the way for example one can in the quest's script tab.

Edited by Asterra

One way is using a quest script, a RegisterForRemoteEvent call on the player with "OnPlayerLoadGame", and a Actor.OnPlayerLoadGame event.

Okay, question from this: Let's say I've got a mod on a game save already, and I want to add said RegisterForRemoteEvent in an update to the mod. What I might normally do here is put it in the OnPlayerLoadGame event.

You see the vicious circle I am dealing with.

Would also be very keen on knowing why I can't create a new script for an alias in the quest's reference alias tab - the second question in the OP. That would seem to be an important component of your suggested workaround.

Answered on reddit before I saw your post here. I'll post the code here too:

ScriptName Whatever Extends Quest

Event OnQuestInit()
  RegisterForRemoteEvent(Game.GetPlayer(), "OnPlayerLoadGame")
EndEvent

Event Actor.OnPlayerLoadGame(Actor ActorRef)
  ; stuff
EndEvent

Nothing fancy. Exactly what Reneer said. Put that on a quest set to automatically start.

Using a quest actually makes adding your code to an already installed mod a non-issue. Assuming you add a new quest and don't stick your code on an already running one.

But now evidently I can only use this function in a "native" script, and such scripts are desperately limited in functionality.

I don't actually know what a native script is but I do use OnPlayerLoadGame() extensively in my mods with my own scripts to check start conditions when a quest is not start game enabled.

Add an alias to your quest for the player say PlayerRef - fill type specific reference Ref PlayerRef

Add a new script say YourQuestName_PlayerRef with a property pointing at your main quest extending script

Call functions in your main main quest extending script, example:

Scriptname SKK_SettingsPlayerRef extends ReferenceAlias

SKK_SettingsMainScript  Property pSKK_SettingsMainScript  Auto Const Mandatory

Event OnPlayerLoadGame()
   pSKK_SettingsMainScript.GiveHolotape("OnPlayerLoadGame")
   pSKK_SettingsMainScript.StartTimers("OnPlayerLoadGame")
EndEvent

Add some debug.trace to your main script functions so you can watch it fire in the papyrus debug log with no limitations or drama:

[12/28/2017 - 10:55:20PM] SKK_SettingsMainScript.GiveHolotape calledby OnPlayerLoadGame

[12/28/2017 - 10:55:20PM] SKK_SettingsMainScript.StartTimers calledby OnPlayerLoadGame

Edited by SKK50