Transgender Inquisitor?

GrimmGamingReaper

Okay so I'm just wondering if anyone out there might be willing to make a mod that allows either one or both of two things:

1) Switch the male and female pronouns. That way we can have FTM trans men who are referred to as "he/him" and MTF trans women who are referred to as "she/her."

2) Switch the male and female Inquisitor voices. So then we can use female voices for male Inkys that we headcanon as being transgender men, and male voices for female Inkys that we headcanon as being transgender women.

I know that there are certain romance dialogues that are gender-specific for certain romances, but honestly I wouldn't mind my Inky being mute for those scenes if it means getting to have the different voices for other scenes. Honestly I'd just be happy with a mod for the pronouns... but the voice bit would be great if it were possible. It'd make it that much more immersive during a trans!Inky playthrough, ya know?

Thoughts?

Edited by GrimmGamingReaper

How would a "trans" character be any different from one "born" to that same gender?

(And isn't it a bit insulting to presume s/he should be?)

I don't think that's a fair question. Every player has their own view about how to make their headcanon work. Playing the game as is would work for a person that wants complete immersion as that gender, but that might not be what they want in their transgender experience.

I can't help with the mod, but I do want to point out a potential consequence of what you want. Part of it will likely have to do with setting gender flags, but the problem with that might be that you mess with the available romances. Let's say you make a female character in the CC and then change some gender flags to male to allow for voice and pronouns. The issue here is that, if the game sees you as male, you will only have access to the male romances (Cassandra, Dorian, Josephine, Bull), rather than all of the options available for women (Cullen, Blackwall, Sera, Solas, Josephine, Bull).

This might not be bad, depending on whom you want to romance, but if, say, you are going to play FtM (your voice and pronouns would be male, but female body from the CC), and wanted to romance Cullen, you would not be able to do so (unless you use another mod).

Edited by nightscrawl

How would a "trans" character be any different from one "born" to that same gender?

(And isn't it a bit insulting to presume s/he should be?)

I'm not sure I understand your question. Why would it be insulting? The point of being able to create your Inquisitor is to be able to CREATE your Inquisitor as you want them to be, and sometimes how you want them to be goes beyond what is capable in the game. Because of sex/gender limitations for the playable character, you can't have an Inky that is actually considered trans within the game or world of the game. All I'm asking if it anyone might be willing to make a mod to make it possible as far as a playable experience, even if it still isn't "canon" once the next DA game comes along.

I'm asking for this because in Thedas there doesn't seem to be any way to medically transition yet. The medical knowledge of Thedas is very limited and is in the Humorism stage, so things like hormones and testosterone and estrogen have yet to be discovered. And so, because there is no way to medically transition, any transgender characters would still go through the puberty of their physical sex; meaning, trans women would have deep/masculine voices and facial hair and such, while trans men (like Krem) would have breasts and high/feminine voices. So to answer your question: that's why I want to be able to change the pronouns and voices of the Inquisitors.

I can't help with the mod, but I do want to point out a potential consequence of what you want. Part of it will likely have to do with setting gender flags, but the problem with that might be that you mess with the available romances. Let's say you make a female character in the CC and then change some gender flags to male to allow for voice and pronouns. The issue here is that, if the game sees you as male, you will only have access to the male romances (Cassandra, Dorian, Josephine, Bull), rather than all of the options available for women (Cullen, Blackwall, Sera, Solas, Josephine, Bull).

This might not be bad, depending on whom you want to romance, but if, say, you are going to play FtM (your voice and pronouns would be male, but female body from the CC), and wanted to romance Cullen, you would not be able to do so (unless you use another mod).

Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated. :) Yes I've considered those issues in terms of romances and such, and that wouldn't really bother me. xD And like I said, doesn't even necessarily have to be voices, it could be just the pronouns and I'd be pretty okay with that.

• 4 months later...

I'm lacking understanding here. Where is the need or even ability to do this?

This is not to be insulting or rude, but this a complicated enough mental/social issue in real life, Even the thought of attempting to implement such a internalized concept post production into a game this complicated,and with out developer support, is a mind boggling idea for the amount of work involved, if its even possible.

First of all, one would have to add dialog options, esp for gender fluid characters(the correction of what I am right now option) Second one would have to implement some kind of cooldown to keep the game from going to an infinite loop, and this entire dialogue tree can quickly spiral out of control and interfere with the story lines..

we have black emporium to help with physical switches, but that won't work while not at "home". more extensive work to basically turn BE into a carryable item or something.

And the list goes on. Some hard coded scenes wold need tweaked as well.

Also certain items are gender locked i think.

The pay off is not really worth that much work IMO.

Edited by ZeoTG

Where is the need

The person asked about the ability to do this. That is need enough. It's no less legitimate an ask than any other mod request on here. If this were something that was easily doable it likely would have been done already to fulfill the need for the OP or players like them. There are all sorts of mods that fill some niche need, or some nitpicky whim of the mod author (I've made a couple myself). If someone wanted to make a mod for this and it only ended up with 10 downloads, that is 10 people that either wanted the mod or were curious enough to try it out.

I don't see why you cared enough to post all that in a thread that is several months old. You're assuming quite a lot. They wanted the ability to switch pronouns and voices, and that's all. You made it far more complicated with your talk of adding dialogue options and cinematics; the OP didn't ask for any of that. They might be perfectly happy with headcanoning much of the experience, but still wanted the smallish (compared to what you suggested) changes of seeing pronouns and hearing the voice.

Both gender pronouns are already recorded for most of the game. There likely aren't that many since it's not common, in English, to be referred to in the third person to one's face; that's considered rude -- "Don't talk about me like I'm not here." I can't think of many instances in the game where this even happens, perhaps in the scene where everyone is discussing the mage/templar choice and some other war room activities where the Inquisitor's activity might be discussed.

There was actually a bug early on after release where there were gender flag issues that resulted in the switching of pronouns (I don't know about voices):

Fixed case where game would incorrectly think the player has more than one race/class/gender

but this was fixed in Patch 2.

Edited by nightscrawl

• 3 months later...

it's been ages since this thread has been replied to, but has anyone figured out if it would at least be doable to have the inquisitor use the opposite gender's voice? i'm really not a fan of m!inquisitor's voice and would happily take the character being silent for certain scenes or something if i could just use the female voice otherwise.

• 2 months later...

okay, so i got busy, and i'm not exactly big on flowery wording i say what i mean, not what others necessarily hear. let me re ask the question.

What expression of the need desired is not already in the game? That better?

in order to even consider to make such a mod that question must be answered.

Edited by ZeoTG