Skyrim 7970 Crashes (Manual reboot)

OsWuLf86

Hello all,

I was bought Skyrim for Christmas and was so excited to play it but I was also in the process of choosing a new GPU to purchase. I knew the 7900s were on there way and so decided to wait. Anyway, that time has finally arrived and I decided to purchase the XFX 7970 Black Edition/Double Dissipation.

The card is absolutely fantastic, I tested Batman: Arkham City, Battlefield 3 and a few other titles and have all run flawlessly, no problems at all (temps and settings all showing good stable results).

The time came to install Skyrim which went smoothly, I ran the game and got passed the first cinematic - then suddenly after choosing my charcter and being chased by the dragon my system just completely locked up, I didn't get a black or blue screen, simply the last frame of the image before it crashes. There's nothing I can do (esc or ctrl, alt & delete) - I'm forced to press the reboot button.

After trying to troubleshoot the problem, event viewer is very vague - it simply states the system shut down unatrually which is due to me forcing the reboot. There are NO links to drivers or software. I've tried to lower the settings and still I get the problem, it really varies as sometimes I can play for 10minutes and other times for up to an hour if I'm really lucky but recently it's happening more and more.

After reading all the other posts on here I have mixed feelings as to whether its hardware/software/firmware. All the basics look ok and as mentioned all the other games run flawlessly maxed out (I'm running latest version of CCC). Others have also mentioned that MODs aren't the cause and that it's this sound setting, I've also set my sound to Studio quality and still it happens.

I think my next step will be to try a reinstall and see if that helps! I really hope I get some responses, or even better someone is aware of a fix or worko around as this is really bugging me and I'd love to get past level 6 on this game as it's so awesome! :wallbash: :wallbash:

My Specs:

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard

Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970 Double D Black Edition 3072MB GDDR5

Corsair HX 1050W ATX2.2 Modular 80 PLUS® Silver Power Supply

LG CH08LS10 8x Blu-Ray Reader/16x DVD±RW

Kingston SSD V+100 96GB (Master)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache (Slave)

Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card

I look forward to hearing from you guys/girls - If you need any further information please let me know...?

Thanks all,

OsWuLf :wallbash:

Are you using 12.2 or 12.3 driver revisions for your graphics card ? If you are using either of those it might be worth trying the 12.1 revision as that fixed my problems but then again my card is an old 5870 so might now apply to your latest model;.

Are you using 12.2 or 12.3 driver revisions for your graphics card ? If you are using either of those it might be worth trying the 12.1 revision as that fixed my problems but then again my card is an old 5870 so might now apply to your latest model;.

Hi mate,

Thanks for replying, I will give this a go when I get home later, I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the advice, appreciate it...

I'm really banging my head with this! :wallbash:

Cheers...

Well for a start you should disable overclokcing to see if that is causing an issue with the new cards. OC is not needed with your setup so all you are doing is reducing the life of your processor.

Well for a start you should disable overclokcing to see if that is causing an issue with the new cards. OC is not needed with your setup so all you are doing is reducing the life of your processor.

Hi mate, yeah I've got it back on stock settings, makes no difference... :down:

• 1 month later...
Did you ever get this sorted? I just last week got my 7970 and now Skyrim will just hard lock for no apparent reason and i have to hit the reset button....I'm on the 12.4 drivers. Also all other games run perfectly. Really sucks because I only got this card for 3gb vram to help in Skyrim.

There is a thread on the AMD forums about 7970s and v12.4 which suggests that there is a problem with the v12.4 drivers, particularly with 64bit OS. The only thing I had seen on the thread was to go back to original drivers or v12.1. You may want to go to the thread at AMD forums and see if anything new there.