[WIP] Way of the Monk: Unarmed Overhaul

Woverdude

Very cool! I love martial art type fighting styles...even if my absolute favorite, capoeria, would be flat out impossible to implement :P

As far as perks go, how about these for suggestions? Not to steal thunder; I just think they'd be fun.

1. [2 ranks]-Ringbearer-Wear 2/4 rings at once, but cannot use any weapons at all-20/50

2. [2 ranks]-Elemental Chi-Can punch with magic hands by doing directional power attacks. At lvl 2, these punches do elemental damage according to the type of magic equipt-30/60

3. [1 rank]-Deftness-If any arrow comes within 2 ft to the side of the player, time slows by 2 seconds and the arrow is added to the inventory as though it was grabbed from the air-40

4. [2 ranks]-Equal Grounds-Blocking power/normal attacks at the exact moment of contact disarms the enemy if they were using an external weapon-55/75

5. [1 rank]-Dragon Punch-An unarmed backwards power attack now does the "fus" shout-70

6. [1 rank]-Paralyzing Palm-Forward power attack has a 50% chance to paralyze non blocking opponents for 5 seconds.-100

NOTE: these might actually be impossible :whistling:

Thanks for the suggestions! Don't worry, I'm looking for people to give me their perk ideas. :-)

You're right, some of those are not very doable. Some would also fit more as enchantments. But there are a couple that I can't wait to see get into the game! :-D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, simply taking a sword model and giving it the Unarmed animation doesn't keep the sword in the hand when you punch. Instead, the sword stays in the sheath. I think there's something in the actual model file that tells the CK where to place the model on the body. I'm not sure, though. Does anyone know?

Oh, btw, Mod Diary #2 for Way of the Monk has been posted on the dev blog: My link

I really like the idea behind this wip, and have been messing around with some CK settings to see if i could help you guys out on the quoted issue..

Best result i got was this:

Made a dagger, gave it the unarmed animations and set the equiptype to eitherhand.

Equipped 1 of them in either hands and the one in the left hand shows up, mirrored in two directions.(handguard the wrong way and the blade the wrong way.) No luck on the right hand one though. The only difference between the right hand and left hand is the sheathing animation. I'd bet the weapon model has some sort of node which tells the game where the sheath connects to the body. Maybe removing that from the mesh might solve it, since only the right weapon actually uses that node.

It's a wild guess, but i might actually try this out tomorrow :)

Still, for now this might be enough to model up some left hand weapons and get them ingame :)

Edited by Urwy

Alright, so I fixed the script, but it still isn't working. I have a Magic Effect with the Effect Archetype of 'Script' that is Fire and Forget on Contact, and then a spell that has that effect. Then, I have a perk that uses an entry point to apply the spell as a combat hit spell. I'm thinking that there might be nothing wrong with the script, but something wrong with the way I am applying it. Can you think of some better way to apply the script or to do what it is that I am trying to to?

I just tested it, and it only works if you have a weapon equipped. I think the best way to get this to work would be finding some way to get some fist weapons into the game.

Yeah, simply taking a sword model and giving it the Unarmed animation doesn't keep the sword in the hand when you punch. Instead, the sword stays in the sheath. I think there's something in the actual model file that tells the CK where to place the model on the body. I'm not sure, though. Does anyone know?

Oh, btw, Mod Diary #2 for Way of the Monk has been posted on the dev blog: My link

I really like the idea behind this wip, and have been messing around with some CK settings to see if i could help you guys out on the quoted issue..

Best result i got was this:

Made a dagger, gave it the unarmed animations and set the equiptype to eitherhand.

Equipped 1 of them in either hands and the one in the left hand shows up, mirrored in two directions.(handguard the wrong way and the blade the wrong way.) No luck on the right hand one though. The only difference between the right hand and left hand is the sheathing animation. I'd bet the weapon model has some sort of node which tells the game where the sheath connects to the body. Maybe removing that from the mesh might solve it, since only the right weapon actually uses that node.

It's a wild guess, but i might actually try this out tomorrow :)

Still, for now this might be enough to model up some left hand weapons and get them ingame :)

Yup, that's pretty much the results that I got. :-/

Thanks for the info about the difference between the hands, though. I didn't know that. I still won't be able to add new models, though. I have absolutely no modeling ability. :-(

If you or someone else wants to make such a model, however, I would be greatly delighted to add it to the mod. :-D

Alright, so I fixed the script, but it still isn't working. I have a Magic Effect with the Effect Archetype of 'Script' that is Fire and Forget on Contact, and then a spell that has that effect. Then, I have a perk that uses an entry point to apply the spell as a combat hit spell. I'm thinking that there might be nothing wrong with the script, but something wrong with the way I am applying it. Can you think of some better way to apply the script or to do what it is that I am trying to to?

I just tested it, and it only works if you have a weapon equipped. I think the best way to get this to work would be finding some way to get some fist weapons into the game.

Oh, the bitter irony! *facepalm*

I tried it out with other weapons and got the same result. :-/

I definitely want add some fist weapons if possible, but I also want to get this working. The mod is, after all, supposed to overhaul unarmed. Plus, I'm making a number of enchantments that will be on gloves, so they won't raise the level if I don't get this working. I'm wondering if I could set it up so that it runs OnHit on the enemy rather than OnEffectStart. I'm not sure if that's the trouble or it's the fact that the entry point does not count Unarmed as a possibility when it applies a "combat hit spell". I'll do some experimenting and try to learn some more. In the meantime, got any ideas?

I'll do some experimenting and try to learn some more. In the meantime, got any ideas?

Um... Create some extremely tiny weapons that will be hidden by fists and auto-equip them on the player when he/she is not equipped with another weapon?

Other than that, you could try some more complicated scripting methods. To use the OnHit event, you'll need to have some way to put a script on the NPC you're hitting. ATM, I can think of two ways:

1. Use FindRandomActorFromRef in order to apply a magic effect to NPCs around the player.

2. Put a script on the player, using RegisterForAnimationEvent that will track 'WeaponSwing' and 'WeaponLeftSwing'. When the animations occur while unarmed, shoot out a spell in front of the player. Since only actors can run the magic effect scripts, it should only run when you're actually hitting someone.

you could try to get permission for these.. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7552

they'd already work, although the animations would still need sorting out.

more news about that node in about 10 hours, when i get home.

Might even cook up a quick fist weapon model :)

something along the lines of this:

http://www.diablowiki.net/images/thumb/4/4f/Monk-weapons-fist-concept.jpg/350px-Monk-weapons-fist-concept.jpg

I know, i know, diablo 3 ripoff :P but they look so cool! :teehee:

Um... Create some extremely tiny weapons that will be hidden by fists and auto-equip them on the player when he/she is not equipped with another weapon?

you know, thats not a half bad idea :) just make a blank mesh for a weapon and equip it when not using a weapon, like you said :D

Edit:

Afraid i haven't had much luck with finding that node in the meshes...:(

i did find an entry in the mesh which the game uses to identify the weapontype... but i haven't found the correct value for that entry to allow the game to use this mesh with h2h animations :/

Edited by Urwy

Did someone say...MODEL?

http://i.imgur.com/DnV6E.jpg

Not my best work, but that's what you get for a few minutes of work! :thumbsup:

Awesome! I SO wish I had some modeling ability. :-D

Let me know when you've finished and I would be delighted to add it to the game. :smile: