[WIP] Way of the Monk: Unarmed Overhaul

Woverdude

I'll do some experimenting and try to learn some more. In the meantime, got any ideas?

Um... Create some extremely tiny weapons that will be hidden by fists and auto-equip them on the player when he/she is not equipped with another weapon?

Other than that, you could try some more complicated scripting methods. To use the OnHit event, you'll need to have some way to put a script on the NPC you're hitting. ATM, I can think of two ways:

1. Use FindRandomActorFromRef in order to apply a magic effect to NPCs around the player.

2. Put a script on the player, using RegisterForAnimationEvent that will track 'WeaponSwing' and 'WeaponLeftSwing'. When the animations occur while unarmed, shoot out a spell in front of the player. Since only actors can run the magic effect scripts, it should only run when you're actually hitting someone.

I tried doing that for my Unarmed Warfare mod. For whatever reason, the models always ended up on the floor between the player's legs. I have no idea why. :-/ I tried using charcoal, sabercat's eyes, and other small stuff but they all had the same result.

I think I'll try for the second suggestion. That was actually what I originally planned to do, but I couldn't find an Event that did that. Thanks for the info and suggestions. :smile:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could try to get permission for these.. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7552

they'd already work, although the animations would still need sorting out.

more news about that node in about 10 hours, when i get home.

Might even cook up a quick fist weapon model :)

something along the lines of this:

http://www.diablowiki.net/images/thumb/4/4f/Monk-weapons-fist-concept.jpg/350px-Monk-weapons-fist-concept.jpg

I know, i know, diablo 3 ripoff :P but they look so cool! :teehee:

Um... Create some extremely tiny weapons that will be hidden by fists and auto-equip them on the player when he/she is not equipped with another weapon?

you know, thats not a half bad idea :) just make a blank mesh for a weapon and equip it when not using a weapon, like you said :D

Edit:

Afraid i haven't had much luck with finding that node in the meshes...:(

i did find an entry in the mesh which the game uses to identify the weapontype... but i haven't found the correct value for that entry to allow the game to use this mesh with h2h animations :/

MoonSweets has conacted the guy and we have permission to use them. :-) He might do some retexturing/editing, but they will probably be going into the game. Thanks for the link! :smile:

Doing the auto-equip is a possibility, and I'll do it if I have to, but I really want to get it working with the basic fists if possible. I'm going to try using fg109's second suggestion about the animation event. I think that should do what it is that I'm trying to do.

The animation is actually determined by the Form for the Weapons. I have no idea how it decides where on the body the model is placed, though. That seems to be what is causing the trouble. :-/

Edited by Woverdude

Yeah, simply taking a sword model and giving it the Unarmed animation doesn't keep the sword in the hand when you punch. Instead, the sword stays in the sheath. I think there's something in the actual model file that tells the CK where to place the model on the body. I'm not sure, though. Does anyone know?

Oh, btw, Mod Diary #2 for Way of the Monk has been posted on the dev blog: My link

I really like the idea behind this wip, and have been messing around with some CK settings to see if i could help you guys out on the quoted issue..

Best result i got was this:

Made a dagger, gave it the unarmed animations and set the equiptype to eitherhand.

Equipped 1 of them in either hands and the one in the left hand shows up, mirrored in two directions.(handguard the wrong way and the blade the wrong way.) No luck on the right hand one though. The only difference between the right hand and left hand is the sheathing animation. I'd bet the weapon model has some sort of node which tells the game where the sheath connects to the body. Maybe removing that from the mesh might solve it, since only the right weapon actually uses that node.

It's a wild guess, but i might actually try this out tomorrow :)

Still, for now this might be enough to model up some left hand weapons and get them ingame :)

Yup, that's pretty much the results that I got. :-/

Thanks for the info about the difference between the hands, though. I didn't know that. I still won't be able to add new models, though. I have absolutely no modeling ability. :-(

If you or someone else wants to make such a model, however, I would be greatly delighted to add it to the mod. :-D

Might I make a teensy-weensy suggestion?

Create invisible weapons. Have gloves that, when equipped, they equip these invisible weapons that are added to the player. These weapons will be quest items that will be removed upon unequip of the weapons which will unequip the gloves. You can make spiked-like gloves, just like the stormcloak armor ones. Given this is really just a trick, it should work. These weapons would need to be altered to meet the range req's but I'd imagine you'd be doing that anyways.

Perk ideas:

Unarmored

Iron Shirt

Through intense physical conditioning, your skin has hardened like iron. Increases the Armor Rating provided by your Unarmored skill. (5 perks, 20% / 40% / 60% / 80% / 100% increase, requires 0 / 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 Unarmored)

~~Compare to the similar perks in the Heavy and Light Armor trees. Suggested base rate is 1 Armor Rating per Unarmored skill point. 0 perks would be 100 Armor at 100 skill, all 5 perks would grant 200 Armor at 100 skill.

Tuck and Roll

Negates falling damage while unarmored. (Requires 40 Unarmored)

~~Compare to the similar perk in the Heavy Armor tree.

Lotus Step

While unarmored and sprinting, you can run on water. (Requires 80 Unarmored)

~~Look at Spell Tome: Conjure Ethereal Horse for information about waterwalking. The horses in that mod can waterwalk.

~~I loved the water jumping one from Oblivion :P

Jumping Cricket

While unarmored, you jump higher. (Three perks, 10% / 25% / 50% jump height increase, requires 30 / 50 / 70 Unarmored)

Pouncing Tiger

While unarmored, you can jump while sprinting. (Requires 45 Unarmored)

~~Not sure if this is possible, but if it is, you would effectively cover more horizontal distance because you would use your sprint speed.

Evasion

While unarmored, you take 50% reduced damage from area effects and traps. (Requires 90 Unarmored)

~~Like a lot of my ideas, this one comes from the Dungeons & Dragons ability of the same name.

Elusive Monkey

While unarmored, you have a 15% chance to negate the damage from any melee or ranged attack. (Requires 100 Unarmored)

~~Compare to the similar perk in the vanilla Light Armor tree, which gives a 10% miss chance and only works against melee attacks.

Unarmed

Deflect Arrows

While unarmed, you can attack incoming arrows to knock them away. (Requires 25 Unarmed)

~~This one has a low requirement because it's based on player timing. You actually have to punch at the arrow when it's about to hit you, and it'll bounce away as if it hit a rock.

Combat Reflexes

Whenever an arrow is about to hit you, time slows down as your enhanced reflexes take over. (Three perks, 10% / 20% / 30% time dilation effect, requires 40 / 65 / 90 Unarmed)

~~Compare to the similar perk from the Block tree which slows down time while blocking whenever an enemy power attacks you to allow you to better time your shield/weapon bashes.

Monkey Grabs Peaches

Perform a standing power attack that has a chance to Paralyze male humanoid targets for 5 seconds. (Requires 50 Unarmored)

~~Should have a 100% activation rate against unarmored targets, 80% against targets wearing Light Armor, and 60% against targets wearing Heavy Armor.

~~Activation rate lowers with heavier armors because of the codpiece. ~_^

Leg Sweep

Perform a sideways power attack that knocks most enemies down. (Requires 60 Unarmed)

~~No extra damage, but this knockdown would apply a 1-second Paralysis effect to any creature that walks on two legs.

~~Four-legged creatures, spiders, and dwemer sphere centurions would be immune because they're hard to trip up.

~~Could have an animation swap to an actual leg sweep, maybe lower the camera view to the target's feet in 1st-person, like you're crouching down to kick their legs out.

Flying Dragon Kick

Perform a sprinting power attack that deals 50% extra damage and knocks most enemies down and staggers the rest. (Requires 75 Unarmed)

~~I think this works better than having just a "more damage" effect like your original idea. The animation could be swapped out if you have this perk to an actual flying kick.

~~Big enemies like mammoths, giants, and dwemer centurion masters are staggered instead of falling.

~~The knockdown effect should be equivalent to Fus Ro Dah.

Suplex Throw

Perform a backwards power attack that has a 25% chance to hurl small enemies over your shoulder. (Requires 85 Unarmed)

~~Can be done with a directed physics force effect angled upward and toward the player. Target should ragdoll and then stand back up when he hits the ground.

~~Should work on anything human-sized or smaller. For example, sabrecats should be throwable, but not bears.

~~Since the technique was developed for humanoids, it should have a 75% activation rate when used on NPCs of playable races.

~~Enemies using this on the player should have a 50% activation rate.

Spell Ideas: (Mainly for fun, feel free to ignore these if you like)

Hadouken

Fires a blue blast of ki energy that deals damage based on your Unarmed skill.

~~Apprentice Destruction spell, charge and release style

~~Base damage equals your Unarmed skill, up to 100 damage at 100 skill

~~Deals physical damage, and increases your Unarmed skill when cast on a valid target instead of your Destruction skill

~~Optionally include "HADOUKEN!!" sound effects from Street Fighter series :>

Shinkuu-Hadouken

Fires a blue beam of ki energy that deals damage based on your Unarmed skill to targets in a straight line.

~~Adept Destruction spell, charge and release style

~~Base damage equals twice your Unarmed skill, up to 200 damage at 100 skill

~~Deals physical damage, and increases your Unarmed skill when cast on at least one valid target instead of your Destruction skill

~~Optionally include "Shinkuu... HADOUKEN!!" sound effects from Street Fighter series :>

Sonic Boom

Fires a spinning blast of supersonic air at the target that deals damage based on your Unarmed skill.

~~Novice Destruction spell, charge and release style

~~Base damage equals half your Unarmed skill, up to 50 damage at 100 skill

~~Deals physical damage, and increases your Unarmed skill when cast on a valid target instead of your Destruction skill

~~Optionally include "Sonic Boom!!" sound effects from Street Fighter series :>

~~~~Optionally enable the spell to change the current background music to Guile's Theme, which goes with everything :>

I tried doing that for my Unarmed Warfare mod. For whatever reason, the models always ended up on the floor between the player's legs. I have no idea why. :-/ I tried using charcoal, sabercat's eyes, and other small stuff but they all had the same result.

I think I'll try for the second suggestion. That was actually what I originally planned to do, but I couldn't find an Event that did that. Thanks for the info and suggestions. :smile:

Did you try using something like an iron dagger and just scaling it down to 1/50 of its size in NifSkope? It should work out better if you used an actual weapon, right?

If you do decide to go with the scripting suggestion, I just thought of a better idea on how to attach scripts to actors. Put a script on the player that will have him/her cast an AoE spell every 30 seconds. Obviously the AoE spell should last 30 seconds, and have a magic effect script with your OnHit event in it.

Did you try using something like an iron dagger and just scaling it down to 1/50 of its size in NifSkope? It should work out better if you used an actual weapon, right?

If you do decide to go with the scripting suggestion, I just thought of a better idea on how to attach scripts to actors. Put a script on the player that will have him/her cast an AoE spell every 30 seconds. Obviously the AoE spell should last 30 seconds, and have a magic effect script with your OnHit event in it.

If you are referring to my suggestion, and OnEquip()/OnUnEquip on the object should suffice I think.

EDIT: nvm, you're not lol :P

Yeah, simply taking a sword model and giving it the Unarmed animation doesn't keep the sword in the hand when you punch. Instead, the sword stays in the sheath. I think there's something in the actual model file that tells the CK where to place the model on the body. I'm not sure, though. Does anyone know?

Oh, btw, Mod Diary #2 for Way of the Monk has been posted on the dev blog: My link

I really like the idea behind this wip, and have been messing around with some CK settings to see if i could help you guys out on the quoted issue..

Best result i got was this:

Made a dagger, gave it the unarmed animations and set the equiptype to eitherhand.

Equipped 1 of them in either hands and the one in the left hand shows up, mirrored in two directions.(handguard the wrong way and the blade the wrong way.) No luck on the right hand one though. The only difference between the right hand and left hand is the sheathing animation. I'd bet the weapon model has some sort of node which tells the game where the sheath connects to the body. Maybe removing that from the mesh might solve it, since only the right weapon actually uses that node.

It's a wild guess, but i might actually try this out tomorrow :)

Still, for now this might be enough to model up some left hand weapons and get them ingame :)

Yup, that's pretty much the results that I got. :-/

Thanks for the info about the difference between the hands, though. I didn't know that. I still won't be able to add new models, though. I have absolutely no modeling ability. :-(

If you or someone else wants to make such a model, however, I would be greatly delighted to add it to the mod. :-D

Might I make a teensy-weensy suggestion?

Create invisible weapons. Have gloves that, when equipped, they equip these invisible weapons that are added to the player. These weapons will be quest items that will be removed upon unequip of the weapons which will unequip the gloves. You can make spiked-like gloves, just like the stormcloak armor ones. Given this is really just a trick, it should work. These weapons would need to be altered to meet the range req's but I'd imagine you'd be doing that anyways.

I've tried that before. The only issue is that if the player has enchanted the item, then it is lost forever when it is dropped. :-/

EDIT: I have found a way around that.

Edited by Woverdude

Perk ideas:

Unarmored

Iron Shirt

Through intense physical conditioning, your skin has hardened like iron. Increases the Armor Rating provided by your Unarmored skill. (5 perks, 20% / 40% / 60% / 80% / 100% increase, requires 0 / 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 Unarmored)

~~Compare to the similar perks in the Heavy and Light Armor trees. Suggested base rate is 1 Armor Rating per Unarmored skill point. 0 perks would be 100 Armor at 100 skill, all 5 perks would grant 200 Armor at 100 skill.

Tuck and Roll

Negates falling damage while unarmored. (Requires 40 Unarmored)

~~Compare to the similar perk in the Heavy Armor tree.

Lotus Step

While unarmored and sprinting, you can run on water. (Requires 80 Unarmored)

~~Look at Spell Tome: Conjure Ethereal Horse for information about waterwalking. The horses in that mod can waterwalk.

~~I loved the water jumping one from Oblivion :P

Jumping Cricket

While unarmored, you jump higher. (Three perks, 10% / 25% / 50% jump height increase, requires 30 / 50 / 70 Unarmored)

Pouncing Tiger

While unarmored, you can jump while sprinting. (Requires 45 Unarmored)

~~Not sure if this is possible, but if it is, you would effectively cover more horizontal distance because you would use your sprint speed.

Evasion

While unarmored, you take 50% reduced damage from area effects and traps. (Requires 90 Unarmored)

~~Like a lot of my ideas, this one comes from the Dungeons & Dragons ability of the same name.

Elusive Monkey

While unarmored, you have a 15% chance to negate the damage from any melee or ranged attack. (Requires 100 Unarmored)

~~Compare to the similar perk in the vanilla Light Armor tree, which gives a 10% miss chance and only works against melee attacks.

Unarmed

Deflect Arrows

While unarmed, you can attack incoming arrows to knock them away. (Requires 25 Unarmed)

~~This one has a low requirement because it's based on player timing. You actually have to punch at the arrow when it's about to hit you, and it'll bounce away as if it hit a rock.

Combat Reflexes

Whenever an arrow is about to hit you, time slows down as your enhanced reflexes take over. (Three perks, 10% / 20% / 30% time dilation effect, requires 40 / 65 / 90 Unarmed)

~~Compare to the similar perk from the Block tree which slows down time while blocking whenever an enemy power attacks you to allow you to better time your shield/weapon bashes.

Monkey Grabs Peaches

Perform a standing power attack that has a chance to Paralyze male humanoid targets for 5 seconds. (Requires 50 Unarmored)

~~Should have a 100% activation rate against unarmored targets, 80% against targets wearing Light Armor, and 60% against targets wearing Heavy Armor.

~~Activation rate lowers with heavier armors because of the codpiece. ~_^

Leg Sweep

Perform a sideways power attack that knocks most enemies down. (Requires 60 Unarmed)

~~No extra damage, but this knockdown would apply a 1-second Paralysis effect to any creature that walks on two legs.

~~Four-legged creatures, spiders, and dwemer sphere centurions would be immune because they're hard to trip up.

~~Could have an animation swap to an actual leg sweep, maybe lower the camera view to the target's feet in 1st-person, like you're crouching down to kick their legs out.

Flying Dragon Kick

Perform a sprinting power attack that deals 50% extra damage and knocks most enemies down and staggers the rest. (Requires 75 Unarmed)

~~I think this works better than having just a "more damage" effect like your original idea. The animation could be swapped out if you have this perk to an actual flying kick.

~~Big enemies like mammoths, giants, and dwemer centurion masters are staggered instead of falling.

~~The knockdown effect should be equivalent to Fus Ro Dah.

Suplex Throw

Perform a backwards power attack that has a 25% chance to hurl small enemies over your shoulder. (Requires 85 Unarmed)

~~Can be done with a directed physics force effect angled upward and toward the player. Target should ragdoll and then stand back up when he hits the ground.

~~Should work on anything human-sized or smaller. For example, sabrecats should be throwable, but not bears.

~~Since the technique was developed for humanoids, it should have a 75% activation rate when used on NPCs of playable races.

~~Enemies using this on the player should have a 50% activation rate.

Spell Ideas: (Mainly for fun, feel free to ignore these if you like)

Hadouken

Fires a blue blast of ki energy that deals damage based on your Unarmed skill.

~~Apprentice Destruction spell, charge and release style

~~Base damage equals your Unarmed skill, up to 100 damage at 100 skill

~~Optionally include "HADOUKEN!!" sound effects from Street Fighter series :>

Shinkuu-Hadouken

Fires a blue beam of ki energy that deals damage based on your Unarmed skill to targets in a straight line.

~~Adept Destruction spell, charge and release style

~~Base damage equals twice your Unarmed skill, up to 200 damage at 100 skill

~~Deals physical damage, and increases your Unarmed skill when cast on at least one valid target instead of your Destruction skill

~~Optionally include "Shinkuu... HADOUKEN!!" sound effects from Street Fighter series :>

Sonic Boom

Fires a spinning blast of supersonic air at the target that deals damage based on your Unarmed skill.

~~Novice Destruction spell, charge and release style

~~Base damage equals half your Unarmed skill, up to 50 damage at 100 skill

~~Optionally include "Sonic Boom!!" sound effects from Street Fighter series :>

~~~~Optionally enable the spell to change the current background music to Guile's Theme, which goes with everything :>

Thanks for all of the ideas. :smile: You are right in that some of those are impossible/very-hard for me to add, but I will add those my list of perk ideas. Thanks. :-)

I would if I had any idea of how to use NifSkope... But I don't. :-(

I think I've found a way to workaround the model issue. I'll test it out later and see if it works well.

Hmm. That script is a possibility. I've got another ideas that I'm going to try that I think will have a good chance of working. If that one doesn't work, then I'll try yours. I can't test these ideas out now, but I'll try to work on them tonight if I get the chance.

Does anyone know the proper/best way to check whether there is a weapon in the player's hands (or if there is any weapon with the WeapType keywords)? The goal is to write a script that equips a Weapon called "Unarmed" when there is not a weapon or spell equipped.