[WIP] Way of the Monk: Unarmed Overhaul

Woverdude

First of all, you are my hero. It was absolutely outrageous that Skyrim was released without a viable and most importantly a fun way of playing unarmed as well as unarmoured. So you have my humble gratitude for taking your time and making this mod. Sadly i can not help very much as far as programming goes. However i can dust off my modeling skills and try to make some badass brass knuckles. A task which i will embark on sometime the upcoming week :biggrin:. However, i can not put the models into the game since my gaming computer died a while ago and i can't afford a new one for a couple of months :wallbash:.

As for ideas concerning the mod i would very much appreciate some kind of system in which special strikes such as "paralyzing palm" or a "FUSROHDAH-type" attack were unleashed based upon a succession of power-attacks (for example: a backward powerattack followed by a forward power-attack would cause a Fusrodah to be unleashed.). I think this would go very well with the monk-style concept given the obvious links to "katas" and "thai-chi". As far as implementation goes i think it's possible since i got the idea from an existing mod (Grandmaster mod) in which the mod author has done something along those lines.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, guys, I plan to add a weapon or enchantment that has a huge impact, sending enemies flying. It'll be fun. :-D

@dodskallemanne Send me the model when you're done. :-) I've gotten permission to use tom349's fist weapons and another guy's retexture, and I'll add yours to the list.

Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll. I've been taking a break from the mod recently and have just got back to working on it. There are a few very odd bugs that I'm having right now and am trying to fix them. I'm not sure whether they are my fault or Bethesda's. Either way, I hope to get around them.

For those of you that want to help me figure some of those bugs out:

One of the bugs I mentioned above is a very strange one that is causing my perks to not work on any weapon that I've added. The perks work fine on all of the other weapons, but not mine. The perks have a contact spell that is supposed to be applied as a combat hit spell when the player uses their fists or a fist weapon. I was getting very frustrated, though, because it was not working as it should. Eventually, I took away the restriction that the weapon must be an unarmed weapon, and the perk started working.... but only for items that I did not add to the game. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Also, fg109, if you're still reading this thread:

I got your teleport spell working. The only issue is that the player occasionally ends up clipping through rocks. I don't know the code that handles moving and collision very well. Is there some way to make sure that the player always collides, rather than passing through objects?

I don't think there's actually any good way to detect collision. One way off the top of my head is to create a new projectile based off of the FakeHealProjectile (the invisible one) but with its speed ramped up to something like 100,000. It should have an explosion that places an object when it collides with something.

Then when you prepare to teleport, you cast that spell in the direction you want to go. If the placed object's distance from the player is closer than the distance you wanted to teleport, then that means the projectile collided with something, and that direction is no good.

If the distance is still greater than the minimum distance, you should teleport to the placed object. Otherwise, choose a new direction and shoot the spell again.

Edited by fg109

Thanks, fg109, I'll try that out.

@Korodic Yeah, he's helped me a lot with the coding. :-)

Alrighty, ya'll here's a problem I'm having:

I've made three perks that each apply a combat hit spell. One perk for each of the elements, fire, frost, and sparks. Each combat hit spell is the vanilla enchantment contact spell. The perks work fine with all vanilla weapons, applying the damage and fx like they are supposed to. With my added weapons, however, they do nothing at all. At first I had conditions on the perks to specify that only my custom weapons could use the effect, but I took those away to test and found out that they only fail to function when using my new weapons. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Any idea of how to fix it?

I've tried making sure that they have no enchantment, are tied to a skill, have all of the normal keywords, are included in the QAS container, are in relevant Formlists, and use normal animations. I thought that it could be a problem with the what folders the meshes are in, so I made sure that the items are in folders with the same names as the vanilla folder system, and even appear in the proper subfolders for the CK. I've also deactivated all of my other mods and ensured that there are no scripts running that would effect the perk. Yet, with all of this, they still do not work. Please, can anyone help?

I completed a LOT over the weekend. I've been busy these past weekdays and have not been able to do any modding, but hopefully I will be able to get some more done soon. I should have a new Mod Diary up on the dev blog in the next few days.

Howdy ya'll,

I haven't been able to work as much on the mod throughout the weeks because of school. I have been managing to get some work done on the weekends, though.

I have posted on the blog the latest news and features for the mod, so check that out. I have mostly completed the mod, and will soon post the release information on the blog. Along with that post will be an invite for beta testers. Beta testing will be closed (only by contacting me) rather than by just posting it on Steam with "Beta" in the title. This is so that I get testers who will provide me with thorough, specific suggestions and bug reports rather than generic requests for improvements.

For those of you interested in helping out, I have also added a page to the blog with a list of ways that you can help. If you do decide to help, then you will be credited for your work.

Thank you all for your patience. I hope that I can make this into a great mod with your help. :smile:

Does anyone know of a way to increase the player's level with Papyrus? I am trying to add a scaling option, and I want to be able to increase the player's level every 5, 8, or 10 levels of the Monk skills.