Dear Brits - doesn't it bother you to be called a "subject&#34

Quetzlsacatanango

<snip>

Lisnpuppy, "subject" and "subjugated" clearly have the same root, and maybe it's the paranoia in me it seems to me that once you accept that you are a subject, it makes it a little easier to accept subjugation. The Queen's subjects don't seem to agree though, I will give you that.

This reminds me of a quote of Winston Churchill.."We are two different peoples separated by a common language"

But...even Websters agrees with the Oxford Cambridge Dictionary on the definitions.

Adjective/Noun: Subject - Being under dominion, rule, or authority, as of a sovereign, state, or some governing power; owing allegiance or obedience.

Adverb/Verb:Subjugated - Reduced to submission; "subjugated peoples" defeated - beaten or overcome; not victorious.

Just an FYI.... English is not Latin..a common root does not necessarily infer similar meanings, which by the way is Sub..meaning under..the ONLY commonality of the the two completely disparate words.

Edited by Aurielius

Yes, A, that is one of my favorite Churchill quotes, although there are so very many more. It is always hard for me to choose. But this one was quite appropriate under the circumstances. :whistling:

But what I really wanted to say was, "WELCOME to the show GINNY"!! I was waiting for you to weigh in, and I was just delighted with your post #22. It was not only informative; but you were in your usual great form. I laughed til I had tears in my eyes. :tongue:

To me, the terms of "subject" and "Citizen" are purely semantic. There is no difference between the general freedoms our british forefathers generally enjoyed here in the colonies and what we presently enjoy, now that we are no longer colonies, save for that we are now properly represented in our form of parliment over issues like taxation. In both the UK and the USA, the head of state can not compel us to live at certain standards of living based on who our parents were. Each of us, in theory, in both the UK and USA, can rise to our own comfortable standard of living based on our own actions rather than the nature of our birth.

p.s. I would just like to shout out to both Grannywils and Ginnyfizz how much I love you both. :)

p.p.s. Besides, even as a citizen of the USA, I enjoy my Laine Taylor shirts and my Bookster tweed suit from the UK. lol :P