Saving character assets

BigDaddyRat

Just wondering about character assets. If I wanted to save a character I created to use in a fresh install of FO4, could I just save the character assets file and load it into the new game data folder, or would I need to start from scratch and try to re-create the character? I have no idea how to create .json files or I would try that. I'm talking about character face creation, not whole character.

Edited by BigDaddyRat

You can use LooksMenu to save a preset. The presets, along with their morphs, hair, skin tints and the lot are saved in Data\F4SE\Plugins\F4EE\Presets as .json files.

Once you've made a preset, backup the .json files and copy them over to the same directory in your new install. If you feel paranoid, you can open the newly created presets using any text editor and confirm that they do have the respective morph entries. It should read "Morphs", "Regions", a bunch of morph IDs like "186B4" and their coordinates. When no morphs are assigned to the preset, it will just say "null" in every section.

You first need to create a preset in LooksMenu for it to show up.

1. Load up your save.

2. Type slm player 1 into the console.

3. Click Presets, then Save and type a name for it.

The moment you save the preset, a file is created in the above-mentioned path. This is the file you should backup.

Yeah, I've been using LOOKSMENU since I started modding. I've watched all the tutorials I could, but none go in depth and answer the questions I have. You've given me more info than all the videos combined. I'm starting a new game now and I'll see if I can pull it off. I've tried all combinations of skin textures and I haven't found one I'm truely satisfied with, but I'm trying a new one called FSM with CBBE. I hope this one works for me. Thanks again.

Edited by BigDaddyRat