A few theories after listening to some people.

SirTwist

I don't mind bad writing if it's comedy, but Fallout 4 was poorly written from the start. The PC version was dumbed down so much I feel like the just took the console version and did nothing to improve it, and slap it on the PC. Don't get me started on the piss poor settlement crap. That is a waste, as well as 3 separate DLC's that deal with it. If they had left off the settlement stuff, they may have had far more time in writing the story, and even getting a decent karma system in place, and less dumbed down interface for dialogues. Bethesda saw the popularity of the Mass Effect games, and their system, and tried to port into Fallout 4. And it failed. The plot hoes? Good god, I've seen better writing out of 2 year olds asking questions. The voice acting was good, but still, I would have preferred if the PC spoke, it would be something similar to Mass Effect series, or even better than that. I think Bethesda should have left the PC silent, as they had with everything up to Fallout 4, and put some real time into writing, fixing plot holes, etc. Sarcasm should not be flippant, or dismissive, or whatever they were doing. It should be truly sarcasm. Maybe a little exasperation in there. Not something you just do blandly. This game reminds me of SWTOR,and the Counselor's story line. Bad. At least KOTOR and TSL had good writing, and even Mass Effect, with the exception of the end of ME3. If I were to see that they were working on Fallout 5, or whatever, here's a list of things I want. A Mass Effect type voice over for the character, or even Saint's Row style. And if you have sarcasm, make it blatantly obvious it is sarcasm. And throw in some curse words. And don't limit the player to only 4 choices, That really shows you are trying to get the game to 5 year olds. Don't include settlement building, at all. Have places that you may own, and store stuff in there, but don't force people to build settlements. And bring back the karma system, and even the old perk system of Fallout 3/NV. Perks and skills. And a bigger map, and better DLC's. The last, pre-4, DLC that I considered bad for the Fallout series was Lonesome Road. I thought it was badly written. You should have had more choice in the matter, but I didn't write it, but I did play it once. I didn't like it, so I am consciously skipping it. And will do so for the foreseeable future. However, I think we have gotten astray of the original intention of my main post, and that is I still doubt that Father is Shaun, and only a genetics test would prove it. I just think that Father is some old man who wants you to believe he is your son, so that you might take pity on him, and absolve him of murder and kidnapping, so he may go to his death with a cleaner conscience. If it were really Shaun, then why wasn't there an effort to do something much sooner, to the PC, and why did everyone else in their cyropods have to die? Why couldn't they have just been sealed up, and not allowed to be opened, or already open, and they had been released previously, and even settled into society? That's some food for thought. I am getting tired, and I need some sleep.

Couple of things bothered me about "father" and also the time discrepancies/plot holes.

First, if you need DNA the absolute best possible source is the ovaries of the female PC. Absolutely chock full of pure DNA with no chance of the random mutations that might have occurred in an already born and partially developed "baby Shaun". Second would be the male PC, and his endless supply of "baby juice" The absolute last choice would be the infant.

(just a note on the "wind" that strikes the PC as they are descending the elevator into Vault 111, at that distance from the "blast zone" there would be no radiation to start with, just the wind from the massive displacement of air.)

Virtually no one alive would remember Kellogg and the 10 year old boy after more than 50 years, with the possible exception of Nick Valentine, however Nick hasn't been around Diamond City for that long.

After purportedly more than 50 years, Virgil is still alive (okay perhaps the FEV strain he's infected with makes him essentially immortal, however), Kellogg still hasn't chased him down yet? He ain't worth shyte as a "man who gets things done" then.

Kellogg is still alive?!?!?!? If they had the technology to mechanically enhance and extend life for that long, with apparently no degradation in physical or mental abilities, why do they even need Gen III Synths? Why not just create technologically augmented bodies for themselves?

"Father" is an a$$hole!!! Not only is the death of one of his (supposed) parents merely "collateral damage" (any sane, even moderately nice person would feel some guilt and/or grief over the death of a parent, even one they had never had a chance to "bond" with) But the (supposed) living parent is rather casually, even flippantly subjected to the most brutal form of mental and physical torture, all in the name of "just a bit of an experiment". If they were trying for some sort of emotional moment, then ... BGS, you're doing it wrong!

Finally there is Dr Madison LI. She of all people would know all about Vault-Tec, and their experiments, and also to the plight of Vault Dwellers experiencing "the wasteland" for the first time ( she was actually a caring sole at the birth of the "Lone Wanderer" and the subsequent death of her friend Catherine, so she would certainly not be a party to any of the crap that the Institute gets up to, no matter how "jaded" she has supposedly become since her time in the Capital Wasteland.

I would believe 10 years between the time you woke up and saw your significant other and the baby being kidnapped, as opposed to 60 years. And 10 years would be the right amount of time to see Dr. Li go from the Capital Wasteland to Boston Commonwealth. And this, again, brings me to one of my previous points in that Father is a manipulator, at the least, as well as a liar. And Perraine, you are right about the radiation, etc. The first wave through is basically displacement of air. Getting back on point, though, is that Father is not Shaun, nor could he ever be. Of course he may look a little like you and your significant other. But who wouldn't after that length of time. And there is plastic surgery, and other things, that can have an affect on your appearance. Or in the case of Father, his appearance.

I wish that Oxhorn would revise his video as to who Shaun is, and Father, as well as Vinlyc Puma. If you ask me, they were the ones I watched, and the things they said just didn't click correctly in my head after playing this game for a while, and listening to things. I think I will start a new thread about another person in the game I don't care for, and some theories on another group that you can join. I am not closing this discussion, nor even abandoning it, at all. I'm going to post something I think that would be rather interesting. I am, though, going to watch some videos, and think on things. Probably even play some more Mass Effect, and Fallout 3, NV, and 4, in the mean time.