When freedom calls fails to start, out of time fails to end

ghostfc3s

I started a new game, originally with the same mods as my previous play through, I get to the museum kill the raiders out front, Preston does't wave for help or engage. The old quest fails to end and " when freedom calls" does not start. Console commands will move the quest along however the quest is still broken and the death claw will not spawn. Now normally I wouldn't care as its the MM and I don't touch them, however I suspect this is what caused scripts to stop working in my previous 10 day save that caused it to completely die and become unplayable.

I disabled all the mods and DLC started a fresh unmodded game. Exact same results. I'm currently reinstalling, to see if maybe something happened with the original master files as I authored a "no minute men mod", that acts very close to what is going on now. I am hesitant to delete the file folders of all my mods as some are made by me and I would have to dig through them all to find the one offs to backup (minor armor changes to fix clipping, colors, textures custom enb's).

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, or anything similar?

I am on a vanilla new game. I started it because my settlers in a modded game were just standing doing nothing. So, no F4SE, nothing in Data folder but game files and Video, I had no issues until me and the MM get back to Sanctuary. Preston will only banter with me. No Sanctuary quest start. And again, my settlers will not even assign. I am in the middle of deleting game files starting with my fallout4misc.ba2 file (the one containing the scripts), and reinstalling.

This game is so buggy. I spend more time just trying to get it to work. If it wasn't such a good game once it is working, I would have canned it years ago.

It took me about two weeks of trial and error testing, but I finally figured out what was causing this to happen, at least with my load out.

At first it was happening with a heavily modded game, so I spent days trying to identify which mod was the culprit. Then, I started a completely vanilla game and had inconsistent results. This led me to believe it was some quest glitch. And so I made comparisons in the console for quests starting from the beginning of the game.

The problem is with the Minutemen quest, 'Let Freedom Ring'. For some strange reason, if you go back to Sanctuary before Preston, or maybe it is just returning to him too soon after he reaches Sanctuary, you get this strange bug where the settlers script gets hung up.

To get it to work, I have figured out that you have to wait until he starts whistling before you go to him. And then, you need to stand around by him until he addresses you. Don't activate him, let him start the conversation.

Next, you have to take your time with the 'Sanctuary' quest. Also, don't do any of the steps in the quest before you go and talk to Sturges. Then, only do one stage at a time, as he asks you to do them.

When I follow these two guidelines, my settlers work perfectly.

Now, for the naysayers. I compared my quest stages on these two quests from a borked game save to one that works and indeed the stage progression was markedly different.

Anyway, hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue that When Freedom Calls would not start. My solution was that I needed to start a new game with min necessary mods. Once started, I didn't re activate them until after codsworth's little quest but it but it should be fine just after you leave the vault.

I running over 500 mods right now and I did not want figure out which mod was doing it. My solution works so far. There was an posting long time ago about loading only a min amount of mods before you start a game but I could not find it.

Edited by SilverThorn12345