best way to remove objects for settlement mod

I've read conflicting reports of the best way to remove objects from an area in CK. specifically, I'm trying to make a settlement mod and wanting to delete things like cars etc.

I've seen that some people say to drag the items ubderground, and that deleting them or disabling them is a bad idea. I'd like you know what everyone agrees is the best practice for removing items from a cell. thanks in advance

NEVER delete vanilla references! If a player uses a mod that references something you've deleted it can crash the game. Some items may have scripts attached to them or be referenced by a quest, trigger or something else. It's never a good idea to delete anything.

Best practice IMHO is:

- Set the reference to Initially Disabled. If you have multiple object you want to disable, select them all and use the "-" (dash) key to open the Batch window. Select the Initially Disable option and click the Do button.

- Move the objects set to Initially Disabled below the ground of floor.

Some will say you can delete references then use the Undelete and Disable function in FO4Edit to set them as Initially Disabled. Personally, I don't recommend that but that's just my opinion. If you forget to run the function in FO4Edit you can have a real problem. I say do the disabling up front so you know it is done and done correctly. That being said, I would say it IS a good practice to run Undelete and Disable while you are cleaning your mod in FO4Edit. On the off chance you do accidentally delete something, you'll have yourself covered.

A sure sign that you've been working in the CK too long is when it starts to make sense. :laugh:

Well I certainly haven't been in it long enough, and it could make more sense, I have made progress though.

I'm actually planning on going through the process of your tutorial on making static objects :) I'm sure it's not the most fun, but you should make more tutorial videos