What are your favorite ingredients?

groupoffriends

I love being an assassin, especially for the Dark Brotherhood radiant quests, so I go up north around the Abandoned Shack (I have a mod which converts it into a player home) and gather lots of Deathbell. And everywhere else I go fishing for River Betty, because the combination of those two gives me a potion of Damage Health and Slow, a deadly combination indeed to use on my dagger or arrows. If the first strike doesn't kill them, they are slowed by the poison and I have time to have another strike at them before they can do anything.

At night I search for Luna Moth Wing and Nirnroot, which gives me a potion of Invisibility for sneaking up behind my victims. They're both easy to see at night from a distance.

And whenever I can find some Human Flesh I plan to combine it with Imp Stool because that will give me a combination of Damage Health and Paralysis. Human Flesh is pretty rare, though.

Of course, I also gather ingredients which just give me a potion with either Slow or Damage Health or Paralysis - but when I can make a potion that combines two of them together, it's even better.

I could probably make a potion with the three ingredients Death Bell, River Betty, and Imp Stool. That would give me a potion of Slow, Damage Health and Paralysis. Even when the paralysis wore off, he would still be slowed! Although he'd probably be dead by then anyway.

So... what are your favorite ingredients, and why?

Luna Moth Wing, Nirnroot, Vampire Dust, Ice Wraith Teeth, Chaurus Egg - for invisibility potions.

Human Flesh, Briar Heart, Canis Root, Imp Stool, Swamp Fungal Pod - for paralysis potions

River Betty(common) and Salt Pile(common) - for slow potions (if you have the skill) or combine with paralysis ingredients :)

For "Paralysis": Briar Heart, Canis Root, Imp Stool, Swamp Fungal Pod

For "Slow": Deathbell, Large Antlers, River Betty, Salt Pile

For "Damage Health": Deathbell, Falmer Ear, Imp Stool, Nightshade, Red Mountain Flower, River Betty, Skeever Tail, Small Antlers, Troll Fat

For "Lingering Damage Health": Imp Stool, Mora Tapinella, Orange Dartwing, Slaughterfish Egg, Slaughterfish Scales

For "Invisibility": Charus Eggs, Luna Moth Wing, Nirnroot, Vampire Dust

For "Cure Disease": Charred Skeever Hide, Hawk Feathers, Mudcrab Chitin

There are some overlaps you can take advantage of. For instance, Imp Stool can be combined with Red Mountain Flower, and Mora Tapinella, to make a poison that damages health by a certain amount "off the top", and then continues to do damage over time after that. Yes, Vampire Dust can also be used for "Cure Disease", but it's much more useful for Invisibility.

It's worth noting that eating a Hawk Feather will instantly cure all your diseases, just as if you drank a Cure Disease potion, so there's no point in making Hawk Feathers into potions. They do the job all by themselves, and weigh less than a potion. Make your Cure Disease potions from Charred Skeever Hide and Mudcrab Chitin.

I left out some uncommon ingredients, like Human Flesh, because these are so difficult to get. Most of the ones on my list are readily available, although you might have to go digging for them and can be challenging to acquire (like Briar Hearts, since the owners don't give them up readily). Others are a bit problematical, even when you can see the sources. Hawks are notoriously difficult to shoot out of the air, and Dartwings are beastly hard to catch on the wing.

True...with Human Flesh it is difficult since there are only 14 samples in the game. Luckly most apothecary merchants have a 21% chance of carrying 1-4 samples of Briar Hearts, Vampire Dust and Ice Wraith Teeth.(I'm playing thieve-merchant so scouting a Forsworn infested area looking for Briarhearts would be kinda suicidal...also avoiding vampires is a healthy option).

Mine are chaurus chitlins to upgrade falmer armor, void salts to upgrade nightingale armor, jarrid root to poison whomever I like, or make a potion of poison(which acts immediately), and if I'm feeling a little ancy, i'll head out and kill a few giants for their toes and whatever they have. Which usually are hides, tusks, mammoth cheese, and so on.

True...with Human Flesh it is difficult since there are only 14 samples in the game. Luckly most apothecary merchants have a 21% chance of carrying 1-4 samples of Briar Hearts, Vampire Dust and Ice Wraith Teeth.(I'm playing thieve-merchant so scouting a Forsworn infested area looking for Briarhearts would be kinda suicidal...also avoiding vampires is a healthy option).

There's a few mods that add a % chance of every human NPC dropping human flesh and a human heart on death! Sadly I can't recall the name of the mod now...

Falmer Ear, Fly Amanita and Troll Fat

Dwarven Oil, Salt Pile, Scaly Pholiota

Dwarven Oil, Salt Pile, Taproot

Bear Claws, Blue Mountain Flower, Wheat

Bear Claws, Blue Mountain Flower, Hanging Moss

For making a lot of money!