ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Not able to get most mods to work. (like CBBE)

darkness19547

I have tried the following with the following results:

Fallout4Prefs.ini section marked [Launcher]: bEnableFileSelection=1 - no change

Fallout4Custom.ini: [Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal= - CTD upon load of new/save game (even without any mods loaded with NMM)
Fallout4.ini: repalce the line sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\ (under the [Archive] section), with:
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ - CTD upon load of
new/save game (even without any mods loaded with NMM)(this change was from IGN.com, although i have not seen anyone else say to do this)
Reinstalling Fallout 4 via Steam - no change
Verified that Plugins.TXT has an asterisks (*) in front of all activated ESP's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have tried the above in all combinations with and without mods and with and without F4SE. I have also sorted with LOOT.
When mods are installed and enabled via NMM and when I don't receive a CTD, load times in game are increased but don't take affect.
The only Mods i can get to work are "Scrap Everything" and "Modern Weapons." "Full Dialogue Interface" will display full dialogue, but only in the vanilla format (the up/down/left/right arrows).
if anyone wants me to upload a crash dump file i will need them to tell me where it is as i would not know.
Is there anyone that could help me?
System:
Fallout 4 version is whatever Steam says is current as of 24JAN2018 - game installed on E:\
Windows 8.1 64-bit
AMD FX-8350
ASUS STRIX NVIDIA GTX 980-ti
32GB Ram
Edited by darkness19547

Is it installed on the C: drive? You may try moving your installation to another drive if it is.

I know Windows 10 can be a bit grumpy about allowing changes in the Program Files directory. Not sure if it's a thing in Windows 8.

Hope you can get it figured out. Best of luck!

Is it installed on the C: drive? You may try moving your installation to another drive if it is.

I know Windows 10 can be a bit grumpy about allowing changes in the Program Files directory. Not sure if it's a thing in Windows 8.

Hope you can get it figured out. Best of luck!

It's on one of my other drives. updated the main post. Thanks.

Have you tried installing and playing with each mod individually? I know that's a pain in the butt, but I spent an evening straightening out my installation order and load order after I uninstalled all my mods and reinstalled them. For whatever reason, despite no changes in anything, I had conflicts between two mods that weren't conflicting the first time I installed them.

The Fallout4.ini is the one you need to change, NOT the Fallout4Prefs.ini or the Fallout4Custom.ini.

In [Archive] you need to alter sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ and remove everything I've highlighted in red. Those entries have been void for quite some time now, and you no longer need to have them in there when using mods. The entry bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 should also go in [Archive] of your Fallout4.ini, and not in the other .ini files. You should add it immediately after sResourceDataDirsFinal=

The new update for Fallout4 will only affect mods that use F4SE, as the script extender team haven't had time to update F4SE yet to account for Bethesda's latest update to the Fallout4 executable. A big mistake that a lot of users make when attempting to run Fallout4 when issues crop up, is to simply disable them in NMM. That won't help you resolve any issues related to mods, as while the mods might be disabled, they are still present. You have to completely uninstall every single mod via NMM, and then either start a new game or load a previous save from before you installed mods (it's good practice to have a save (that you never overwrite) immediately after leaving Vault111/going back to Sanctuary from a pure vanilla/unmodded playthrough, so situations like this are easier to fix) From there, you can split the mods you use down the middle, and reinstall that 50%. If the CTD continues upon doing that when loading the fresh save, you've managed to narrow the culprit down to that 50%. Then you repeat the process, but remove half of the mods that were previously installed; you keep repeating this until you can load/play the game without any issues. Each time your attempting to narrow the list down further. Time consuming, but this is the best way to do it.

Sometimes though, the issue can be caused by using one of the latest version's of NMM, which is known to incorrectly install/uninstall mods. NMM version 0.63.14 is notorious for causing problems, with numerous users citing invisible meshes/textures etc due to a bug with that version of the mod manager not correctly installing files from mods. The best course of action is to revert to using a previously known working version, personally I've been using 0.61.21 continuously since release with no issues whatsoever - it can be downloaded from here

Another thing to note, regarding best practices when installing/using mods. Always install one at a time, and then test to make sure that a) the mod is installed correctly & works, and b) always test on a 'clean' un-modded save. Do that and you'll have less headaches in future, when issues pop up.

The Fallout4.ini is the one you need to change, NOT the Fallout4Prefs.ini or the Fallout4Custom.ini.

In [Archive] you need to alter sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ and remove everything I've highlighted in red. Those entries have been void for quite some time now, and you no longer need to have them in there when using mods. The entry bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 should also go in [Archive] of your Fallout4.ini, and not in the other .ini files. You should add it immediately after sResourceDataDirsFinal=

The new update for Fallout4 will only affect mods that use F4SE, as the script extender team haven't had time to update F4SE yet to account for Bethesda's latest update to the Fallout4 executable. A big mistake that a lot of users make when attempting to run Fallout4 when issues crop up, is to simply disable them in NMM. That won't help you resolve any issues related to mods, as while the mods might be disabled, they are still present. You have to completely uninstall every single mod via NMM, and then either start a new game or load a previous save from before you installed mods (it's good practice to have a save (that you never overwrite) immediately after leaving Vault111/going back to Sanctuary from a pure vanilla/unmodded playthrough, so situations like this are easier to fix) From there, you can split the mods you use down the middle, and reinstall that 50%. If the CTD continues upon doing that when loading the fresh save, you've managed to narrow the culprit down to that 50%. Then you repeat the process, but remove half of the mods that were previously installed; you keep repeating this until you can load/play the game without any issues. Each time your attempting to narrow the list down further. Time consuming, but this is the best way to do it.

Sometimes though, the issue can be caused by using one of the latest version's of NMM, which is known to incorrectly install/uninstall mods. NMM version 0.63.14 is notorious for causing problems, with numerous users citing invisible meshes/textures etc due to a bug with that version of the mod manager not correctly installing files from mods. The best course of action is to revert to using a previously known working version, personally I've been using 0.61.21 continuously since release with no issues whatsoever - it can be downloaded from here

Another thing to note, regarding best practices when installing/using mods. Always install one at a time, and then test to make sure that a) the mod is installed correctly & works, and b) always test on a 'clean' un-modded save. Do that and you'll have less headaches in future, when issues pop up.

Still CTD with no mods on a vanilla game once i make the changes to the fallout4.ini file on a fresh install of the game...

I bet you might have something wrong. Check your UAC controls, set to off. That can be a problem, something there might interfere with things. Second thing to try is setting everything to run as Admin. This may also help. Run Bodyslide x64, not Bodyslide. Bodyslide is the 32 bit version, Fallout 4 requires the 64-bit. Run that outside of NMM. Close it out. Run NMM, and run Bodyslide x64. Make sure Bodyslide is listed before CBBE, and you should be able to run it from there.