Normal maps suddenly not working?!

AurelTristen

I've been making models for Skyrim for a while now, and I've never had issues with Normal maps. Now all of the sudden, nothing I make has working normal maps. I did recently update to the latest NifTools for 3D Studio max, and I thought that might have something to do with it. As to that, I'm not sure where I found the update because google keeps taking me back to a wiki that lists Niftools as nolonger under development.

Digging through my new nifs and comparing them to my older works, I've found that in my NiTriShapeData just under the Has Normals bool, my old models have a Normals section as well as a Tangents and Binormals. My new nifs only have the Normals entry. This has lead me to believe that the new Nif tools are creating damaged NiTriShapeData files.

Can anyone open up a nif file that they have made with working normals and look for these entries? I'm at a total loss here. Everything else looks perfect.

I've tried loading a normal map from a working nif into my new ones to see if my actual dds files were bad. Nothing. Any ideas? (Note: for testing, I'm shutting off vertex colors so that normals will be drawn in Nifskope, but I've been sure to turn vertex colors back on before saving, and I've also tested the models in CK to make sure)

NitrishapeData; Change Num UV Sets to 4097. This is a problem I got myself, Num UV Sets set to 1 is wrong.

Damn! I looked at that too, but didn't try it! So is the new exporter setting that to 1 by default now? I've never had to mess with it.

Thanks a million. Sometimes its like pulling teeth to get someone to point out a little oversight around here. :) For the record, after changing Num UV Sets, I right clicked on my model and re-set tangent space (For anyone who might come across this). Seems to have fixed it.