What's the .ckm file for?

groupoffriends

Lately I've downloaded several .esp-only mods with a .ckm file in them. What are they? Is Windows creating them as they're downloaded, or are they created by Nexus? They don't seem to have a purpose, as the mods I've got work perfectly without them. Are they a tracking device, or what? Is it important to put them in our data folder? Anyone know? Do they support images, like the .db files that Windows inserts to create a police record of the images you have on your computer?

I don't know either but I know that they come with the mod, they aren't auto-magically created by Windows or the Nexus. The only one I have came with this mod. Why don't you ask a mod author directly? Report back if you do.

CKM.exe file information

The process apparently belongs to the software Ardamax Keylogger by unknown.

Description: CKM.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows 7/XP is 250,368 bytes.

There is no information about the maker of the file. It is an unknown file in the Windows folder. The program is not visible. CKM.exe is not a Windows core file. CKM.exe is able to record inputs, hide itself, monitor applications. Therefore the technical security rating is 76% dangerous.

Recommended: Identify CKM.exe related errors

If CKM.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" then the security rating is 66% dangerous. File size is 250,368 bytes. There is no file information. The program has no visible window. The application starts when Windows starts (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). File CKM.exe is not a Windows system file. CKM.exe is able to record inputs, hide itself, monitor applications.

If you have any problems with CKM.exe, you can also uninstall the program using the Control Panel ⇒ Add/Remove programs ⇒ Ardamax Keylogger.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as CKM.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the CKM.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It was one of the Top Download Picks of The Washington Post and PC World.

CKM-File is the file encryption application of the Constructive Key Management (CKM) System. Using TECSEC's Constructive Key Management technology, CKM-File provides flexible document access and maximum information protection through several advanced features, including:

Users may selectively limit access to any document by applying selected credentials. Users may select a stronger or faster encryption algorithm from a list of algorithms made available by their organization's Policy Manager.

Encryption and decryption keys are constructed only at the moment they are needed, and then are immediately destroyed. The data needed to construct the keys is not stored in the document, so even if the document falls into the wrong hands, the information it contains is safe.

Decryption is transparent to users. Provided they have been given the appropriate credentials, users simply double-click a CKM-encrypted file in the Windows Explorer to decrypt it.

I realy don't know.

All I know that are some Quest mods that use it, like :

Quest - And the Realms of Daedra by ThirteenOranges - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12369

Quest - No Mercy by ThirteenOranges - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12024

Quest - The Bigger They Are by ThirteenOranges - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12026

Quest - The ghost town by Aleximandre - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9047

....and I just ask them why their mods have that .ckm file, but until now still no answer. :(

What I think it is by looking at one of mine mod builds. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The .ckm extension file is part of the build process from the CK and should not be included in the plug-in download. It won't hurt your game or computer and you can delete it. It's kind of like a make file. It has a lot of the information about what goes into the making of the plug-in, but you won't be able to use it by its self to do a build. Other files are required for a complete and accurate build.