Mod suddenly hidden by author with odd message

Breantique

Is it common practice to hide a mod from people if they don't click on the endorse button within a certain time frame after downloading it?

I had downloaded a few mods a couple days ago to test if they would work together with the expectation of getting back to endorse, et cetera later. I ended up being distracted by something else, and when I went back to do my duty the mod in question was set to hidden, with the message, "I take it that if you don't endorse it you don't like it"
I don't even remember who the author is, so I can't ask them directly.

Would it be hidden for just me, or is it a global thing?

Interestingly enough, I refreshed that tab before typing my reply just now, and it's no longer hidden. Thank you, Author.

Edit:
23 endorsements (including mine) from over a thousand unique downloads since January 19 of this year, now I understand why the author may have been annoyed enough to hide it.

Edited by Breantique

The average endorsement ratio to download count works out to between 5-10%. If a mod author get's around 10%, they're doing good. Generally speaking, it's only the well-known mod authors whose work get's a lot of endorsements in a short space of time. Unfortunately, a lot of mod users never endorse the mods they use, even if they like the mod.

It's understandable that some mod authors (especially newer ones) might find this somewhat demotivating/demoralizingm until they realize that high endorsements doesn't always equate to good mods. There's lots of hidden gems that are woefully overlooked.

The average endorsement ratio to download count works out to between 5-10%. If a mod author get's around 10%, they're doing good. Generally speaking, it's only the well-known mod authors whose work get's a lot of endorsements in a short space of time. Unfortunately, a lot of mod users never endorse the mods they use, even if they like the mod.

It's understandable that some mod authors (especially newer ones) might find this somewhat demotivating/demoralizingm until they realize that high endorsements doesn't always equate to good mods. There's lots of hidden gems that are woefully overlooked.

This bothers me more than it should considering I have no mods published. I always endorse if I'm impressed by a mod, even if I don't use it regularly in my game.

If a mod author's ego can be so readily bruised by not getting 'likes' or endorsement clicks, they should consider some other endeavor to occupy their time with. <smh>

This.

I take the "MST3K" position. Many years ago Joel Hodgson talked in an interview about the process of creating Mystery Science Theater 3000 way back in 1988 at KTMA in St. Paul, MN. He and the other writers would second guess themselves a lot, worried that some jokes would go over a lot of heads, and then they finally decided: "Not everyone is going to get this, but the right people are going to get this." And so they just rolled with their initial instincts.

None of my mods have broken over a few hundred endorsements, and even those are pretty few. But I've had a few times now where one of my mods will languish in endorsement hell for years, even attract some pretty rude comments, and I'll conclude that okay, I'm the only one who liked this idea. Abandon and move on. And then, years later, I get a message here at Nexus from someone asking when I was going to port that mod to FO4, because oh my god they couldn't play FNV anymore without it.

And I'd just be, like, you have got to be kidding me. That one?

I'm gradually realizing that my fans are pretty niche, and they come along well after the first few waves of players get bored and move on to whatever AAA title is hot that fall. The people who dig what I do are still playing New Vegas alongside their FO4 adventures.

None of that is reflected in the endorsement count, which IMO makes endorsements a really lousy way to judge the success of a mod. It's good for judging the size of a user base, which in turn generally says something about its maturity and stability, but it doesn't say a thing about whether or not the mod was worth writing in the first place. All that is happening invisibly, and you only truly know a bit about that much, much later, if ever.

As an author ive blocked around 20-30 people total from my files .

50% for insulting remarks ( people that just want to flame you and have one day accounts to do so )

The rest were blocked after "demanding" a lot but never endorse anyone's mods.

i Generally take a peek at their profiles and if i see very few endorsements after several years of being members i block their a$$es from all my files.

I dont like leeches .