NPC won't give player notes

RangerBoo

I have a npc that is suppose to give the player notes that will allow them to make some new recipes but for some reason she won't give them the notes. I have the AddNote scripts and even tried the player.additem but it won't work. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong.

You still have to get the information in the note into the Player's inventory. The "holotape" (or other object) is simply a vehicle for that purpose. The object itself can be "non-playable", hidden or removed to a hidden container "owned" by the player once it has served it's purpose.

You have your "skill check" dialog "End Result" script place the "holotape" (item) directly in the player's inventory. Then when they "play" the holotape in the Pipboy, you can have an "On Activate" script remove the item from the inventory. There are probably other ways to do the equivalent using JIP LN NVSE Plugin functions (possibly without the object), but that is the basis. The "Willow" companion mod provides similar recipes, so it might be used as a guide to the process.

This seems to me to be remarkably similar (though simpler) to what @EPDGaffney is doing in the thread "Got EventHandler working for Notes". He should be able to explain it more thoroughly than I. Suggest you PM him pointing to this thread if the above is not sufficient.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Whats weird is that I have other notes that are used in the mod but those are tied to the mods quest and they seem to work. The recipe notes I have are not tied to a quest or a script. I wonder if that is the problem.

Edited by RangerBoo

Yes, you have to use a script of some sort (which includes an "End Result" script to a dialog) to get the notes to the player.

I have just this minute finished updating that "Tip: Passing a 'note' to the player" with additional information from that thread I mentioned you may find useful. There are NVSE/JIP LN commands that will let you bypass the use of an object.

-Dubious-

Thing is is that I put the AddNote script in the Result Script (End) and it doesn't give me the note. Do I need to write a new script for the note in the script tab? It shouldn't be complicated. There is no quest attached to this note I want to add so I don't know why the GECK is giving me a hard time with this. I would really like to not use NVSE as the mod is just a simple town mod and not anything really grand.

Edited by RangerBoo

How did you create your "note item" object? From scratch following the wiki example, or by editing an existing note and giving it a new EditorID? That will create a "Base Form", which you then need to assign to your own reference variable. (This can be done in your "Result Script" I believe. From the sound of things, this seems to be what you are missing.) You should then be able to use the "AddNote <NoteID:ref>" command in the Result script.

If it's not that, then perhaps you should post the code you are using in the "Result Script".

NVSE and JIP LN NVSE are so widespread and provide such essential game fixes and functions that you should not be concerned about using them. There really is no downside to them. They exist to help mod creators to overcome shortcomings of the GECK itself.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I did use an existing note and changed the ID for mine. It still won't work. That was the first thing I did was use the AddNote command in the Result Script but it doesn't get added to the Pipboy or anything. I even created a new note from scratch to give with a new ID but the note still won't be given to my character. The note is not tied to any quest or scripts so I don't know what the problem is.

I am using AddNote aaaLoriRecipes in the Dialogue Tab Result Script (End). I don't see why this isn't working.

Update: Ha! I got it to work. I attached the note to a script and attached that script to an item and it gave me the note!

Edited by RangerBoo

Excellent! But just for clarification: how did you "attach the note to a script"? It's probably a personal quirk, but I always think of it as attaching a script to an item to be run upon some action such as "OnActivate" or "OnEquip", and in the script I reference the note FormID. I would like to determine why that information was not being conveyed to you in the wiki article; for the next person.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent