Odd screen darkening and white lines

Runnin

I finally gave up and just turned off the shadowing. Still works beautifully and looks great! Enjoying playing the game without the flickering and lines so much, I don't miss shadows. lol

Go to:

C:\Users\your_user_name_here\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs

Make a back up copy of your SkyrimPrefs.ini file then change:

fShadowDistance=0

and

fInteriorShadowDistance=0

in your SkyrimPrefs.ini and save.

It is working for me. Hope it works for you. If not...aren't you glad you made a "back up copy" :wallbash: .

Is there a definite ffix for this yet?

:mad: Apparently no. Steam "fixed my files" with its update. Reinstalled my shadows... laser beams are back(white and black grid lines). Now it is even worse then before and the shadows won't even shut off. Are you getting the strobe light effect? Don't mind that so much...but those lines ruin the game!. To make matters worse I am seeing a lot of very strange npc behavior. Example: floating above the counters, or disappearing only to reappear behind me. Way to go Bethesda! sheesh.

Is there a definite ffix for this yet?

:mad: Apparently no. Steam "fixed my files" with its update. Reinstalled my shadows... laser beams are back(white and black grid lines). Now it is even worse then before and the shadows won't even shut off. Are you getting the strobe light effect? Don't mind that so much...but those lines ruin the game!. To make matters worse I am seeing a lot of very strange npc behavior. Example: floating above the counters, or disappearing only to reappear behind me. Way to go Bethesda! sheesh.

Isn't there anyway to play an older version? Before 1.5 the lighting was okay for me

Edited by Thynar

I tried that but the only thing I accomplished was losing my saved games. I completely uninstalled and erased everything (except saves). I tried to reinstall "without" the update....but steam wouldn't let me load the game. It kept saying updates needed. I would check NO and steam would close the game. Finally, I gave up and let steam update.... now it won't use my saves. :confused:

I tried that but the only thing I accomplished was losing my saved games. I completely uninstalled and erased everything (except saves). I tried to reinstall "without" the update....but steam wouldn't let me load the game. It kept saying updates needed. I would check NO and steam would close the game. Finally, I gave up and let steam update.... now it won't use my saves. :confused:

But do you still get the lighting bug?

Might be a long shot but to me, this looks like a shadowbias problem. It does *veyr* weird things if the values are out of wack. Set it to 1.0 and see if it makes a difference.

Might be a long shot but to me, this looks like a shadowbias problem. It does *veyr* weird things if the values are out of wack. Set it to 1.0 and see if it makes a difference.

I don't have a lot of technical skills, do I do that in-game or some date file I have to edit?

Edited by Thynar

I don't have a lot of technical skills, do I do that in-game or some date file I have to edit?

You will find fshadowbias in your SkyrimPref ini file. I tried this but my game started crashing and it didn't fix the bug. Still you should give it a try. I have an older graphics card than you....never know might help you.

Edited by jaderoyale

Alright, so here's what happened.

Before I set it to 1.000, it was 0.5000

To test it out in game, I brought up the console at the main menu and typed in 'coc Riverwood'

I didn't see any flickering lines, but at certain angles there was no longer any light at all, regardless of the location.

Edit: I've also now tried it at 0.000, but now the game crashes..

Edited by Thynar