IMO - FO4 -vs- FO3 & NV

jjb54

If you describe them that way, any DLC looks bad. It would be like saying Old World Blues is "playing around with some brain-in-jar mad scientists", or that Point Lookout is "playing around with inbred hillbillies". It dismisses by defining.

Of the two FO4 story add ons, Far Harbor was excellent, and Nuka World could have been, if they'd told both sides of the story. I hated that the anti-raider plot is "shoot everything then you're done, no more to see".

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they had made Nuka World more interactive- it would have been much fun. Like letting you repair parts of the park and enjoy the rides or robots to run the carnival games. Instead, it was mostly just for show. More animations, more idles, more mini games to play, bumper cars, roller coaster rides, with maybe some secret grand stash of prizes hidden somewhere in the park with clues you have to uncover (without markers) to figure out where it is. Things like that. Much work I know, but, it still would have been cool. This is next gen gaming after all! Meaning you shouldn't just play a game- you should experience it.

Thank goodness that mod author raznek34 came up with the mod Nuka World - Skip raiding your own settlements, which meant you could enjoy Nuka-World without messing with your settlements and still get to enjoy the better Nuka-World ending.

If you describe them that way, any DLC looks bad. It would be like saying Old World Blues is "playing around with some brain-in-jar mad scientists", or that Point Lookout is "playing around with inbred hillbillies". It dismisses by defining.

Of the two FO4 story add ons, Far Harbor was excellent, and Nuka World could have been, if they'd told both sides of the story. I hated that the anti-raider plot is "shoot everything then you're done, no more to see".

I think that I actually enjoyed Far Harbor more than the main game. I mean, considering it was "only" a DLC and all. For lack of better descriptions, I found myself literally saying out aloud (don't judge me!) stuff like "oh cool!" while playing it whereas, during the main game, I mostly found myself saying stuff like "is that it?" (and often even "WTF... seriously?!"). I think my first adventure into the Glowing Sea was the only time I had something even remotely close to the sense of awe ("awe" might be a bit strong) that I'd come to love with the previous 3 Bethesda games. Totally agree that Nuka World was a huge case of "coulda been." Even the dialogue often seemed incredibly lacking, and even bordering on amateurish. Although, maybe "rushed" would be a better description. Some of the sarcastic options (which were often quite good in the main game) were just eye-widening lame. For just 2 examples: after Gage tells you the plans for taking over the commonwealth - "And while we're at it, why don't we take over the moon?". Or, when he tells you to meet Gage near the market - "Is he going to show me how to milk a Brahmin?". Good gawd, someone got paid to write that? Gage's chuckling response to each line reminded me of a laugh track to a bad sitcom. I could almost hear the Bethesda managers yelling "Just get something together, dammit, we need that dialogue by noon!".

@moksha8088

re post#43 of this thread;

indeed, that's why I built a 'ploppable statue- computer programmer" at the Red Rocket Nuka World settlement,

in homage to Raznek's awesomeness.

the statue is like a "Garth Marenghi at desk" style ceramic with a plinth and plaque.

there's a couple of posters and terminal entries also hehe.

it really redeemed a lot of nuka-world.

I have played most of the DLC's in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They were all pretty good, and well written. Fallout 4's is, excluding Far Harbor and Automaton, were laughable, at best. Nuka World turned you into a raider, basically. And the workshop ones? No real stuff there. Just a bunch of settlement stuff. I have seen better writing out of games made in other languages and badly translated to English. Sometimes most of those were funny. Before I digress too far, I still say that Fallout 4 needs better writers, rewritten all dialogue, and the settlement stuff dropped. Or put into one DLC, and only brought when you get to that point. Not forced on you.

Is there a way to remix dialogue for FO4? I was thinking of trying to find some people to do all the player lines so that we might have different voice types to choose from. But, then a idea occurred to me that maybe small quests could be re-written and the voice files remixed to do them differently- sort of as an experiment to see if could be done. The problem for me is that I have no experience working with sound files. Probably easier to just find volunteers to voice the new lines. Has someone already done this or tried?

Sorry was away - Some great dialogs here.

FO 4 - Far Harbor by all measures was EXCELLENT! I just wished the core game was done as well as F.H. It was truly VERY WELL DONE, from the map, the depth of the characters and so on. Obviously someone knew what they were doing there. Just wished they did the same to the Core Game and N.W.

On FO 3 - I just finished Broken Steel and that was great. Like I stated in my OP, it was like catching up with an old friend and the good times that you had! I wish Beth had given FO 4 the same care and focus they did with FO 3 and NV. Good graphics can only carry a game so far ..... IMHO.

One good way for Bethesda to monetize in a significant way would be to enter secret negotiations with Kris Takahashi to produce a well written and clever DLC for the Creation Club. I know I would buy it.

That would solve the problem for those who bemoan Fallout 4 by showing there is content which exceeds that of FO3 and FNV.

One good way for Bethesda to monetize in a significant way would be to enter secret negotiations with Kris Takahashi to produce a well written and clever DLC for the Creation Club. I know I would buy it.

According to what Kris Takahasi mentioned in the latest episode of his Lore Friendly podcast, he's just signed an NDA with Bethesda, presumably for CC content. But that's all he would say.