Please help, CTD when trying to save!

Nanaki772

Hello.

I have honestly seriously given up on this at this point, I have just about tried everything to fix this but I have no clue at all what's causing it.

So on my old character and modded playthrough when I was doing the Main Quest I encountered something that has now come to actually annoy me so much.

It started occurring after the quest "Season Unending" on my old character, crashing to desktop instantly every time I tried to make any attempt to save my game.

Now I recently got a new PC and I decided to create a new character and all that, almost the same mods and a couple of others.

I managed to get past the quest "Season Unending" to the quest where you're in Skuldafn and you're supposed to go to Sovngarde and all that, that's where I start to crash now.. In Skuldafn.

It's the exact same problem, crashing to desktop every time I try to make any attempt to save my game.

Here is my mod list:

https://pastebin.com/j2WKdd0u

Also I've noticed that when it crashes it creates a file in the folder where all the save files are stored:

https://i.imgur.com/YWkydSO.png

The file type is TMP and it's like it fails to save everything which is why it says 0KB meanwhile the other saves are 5KB etc

My PC specs are:

Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.60 GHz

8.00 GB RAM

64-Bit Operating System

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

I've completely run out of ideas, I just want to fix my game and continue playing, please if anyone could help that would be absolutely amazing and I'd be most grateful!!

Edited by Nanaki772

have you tried opening your latest playable save with ReSaver? I'm assuming that you've done a clean install since replacing your old PC.

Yes I have, and yes clean install of the game and a new fresh game with almost the same mods, worked fine up until that certain point in Skuldafn just like my last character after Season Unending.

This is what it shows with ReSaver

https://i.imgur.com/0ldvVkH.png

There was a limit of 65,536 strings in Oldrim that exceeded would cause a crash-on-save. You could try coc whiterun and try saving to possibly rule out certain cells as being bugged or after that even set the queststage to advance the quest and try to rule out a bug with the quest. I apologize if these are things you have already assumed and tried.

There was a limit of 65,536 strings in Oldrim that exceeded would cause a crash-on-save. You could try coc whiterun and try saving to possibly rule out certain cells as being bugged or after that even set the queststage to advance the quest and try to rule out a bug with the quest. I apologize if these are things you have already assumed and tried.

I reloaded 1 save back and then I did coc Whiterun, made a new hard save and it worked, then I did coc Skuldafn01 and I was back in the Skuldafn Temple and I was able to save there as well.

But I don't know how long I'll be able to play, what if it just decides to crash again if I try to save in 10 minutes or so.

Any suggestions?

Try disabling Royal Armory and reverting to a save before the quest Season Unending. It's possible that this conflicts with the actors and state changes involved in the quest Season Unending.

Wait really? Royal Armory only adds new unique weapons to different NPC's such as Tullius and Ulfric but I mean it might. I have recently made a new character again, I'll try disable it then. But can I disable it right before the actual quest Season Unending starts? Or will that cause a save bloat or any other conflicts?

Oh my god. It fixed it.. I mean I finally.. sorry YOU finally found the reason that my game was crashing. I just checked the mod page for Royal Armory and literally EVERYONE was having the same issue, crash after season unending due to well some actors attending that meeting with the Greybeards and then going home and all that, Idk some script problems with the weapons I think.

Thank you so much dude. You are an angel honestly!