[LE] Local idiot needs help with Papyrus

somnomania

There's not a whole lot that makes me feel really stupid and like I'm missing something, but Papyrus certainly does. I have almost a thousand hours in the CK, but most of that has just been assembling and cluttering houses for myself, with the only scripting involved being things like lightswitches, which there are existing complete scripts for.

My current problem is that I'd really like to just learn Papyrus so I can make decent scripts of my own, but every tutorial I've found is still not clicking in my brain. I'm not great with math (which a friend compared coding in general to), and everything I look at feels like I'm not getting all of the information somehow. Like if I was given the nouns in a different language but not the verbs or conjunctions, and then tried to write a coherent sentence. I can do specific tutorial samples just fine, but those don't give me the tools to do anything besides that specific script, or it doesn't feel like they do, anyway.

I just need a dummies guide, something that says "for this type of script, this is the template, variables go here and here; if you want it to do this additional thing here's what you add".

The specific issue I'm having right this second is that I want to do my own auto-sort/cloud storage with some additional subcategories that General Stores doesn't have, and while loading GS up and looking at the scripts attached to things in it helped a little, the main part I don't understand is how it learns where to put items from mods. It has two formlists for each bit of storage, one with the vanilla items in it and one that's empty but has "new" in the name, and nothing I've looked at explains how items get added to that new list.

So sounds like you need to know how and why it works, so that you can get an idea what you can and cannot do. I think you should start by studying all these: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Papyrus_Language_Reference

Next is learning the syntax: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Papyrus

Look at everything under Papyrus Concepts.

Math is only required where it makes sense to use it. A lot of times, you don't need it. For example, when you start having to do specific things to the player's stats, you might need math.

Also download this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9790

It's outdated now, but it has the majority of the vanilla scripts. One way of learning papyrus is looking the source codes and how beth did things. Ignore what the particular script is codded to do, and pay attention to things like syntax, and how variables are assigned values to be used elsewhere. Soon you'll be able to take what you know and write your own scripts.

Thank you! It also seems like there's a lot of info out there, so I get overwhelmed and don't really know what to look at first, but this all seems very promising. Impatience is also a very real problem. :laugh: Maybe today I'll make some extra strong coffee and sit down with this stuff and take some notes.

Learning scripting/programming languages is somewhat similar to learning linguistic languages.. it will take time, and you need to learn the "grammar" first before being able to do cool stuff with it. Most people that jumped into modding already had experience in a programming language like C++(which papyrus was created with), but others like myself started with zero knowledge in anything programming, so scripting was an uphill climb. You will get it - but do not get overly ambitious, start with simple things and work your way up.

Yeah, as I said (I think), I've done light switches and also timed enable/disable things with glow-emitting windows, both with success and pride that it worked, and I've tried the weather clipping but every time I do it it just seems to switch the inclement weather off entirely when it switches to the sheltered area, so that when I leave it it's no longer raining at all. I'm super impatient, but I'll try and start small and get the hang of it. Thank you again!