Stolen mods AGAIN...

payl0ad

I'm more disgruntled for the other modders having their files rehosted without permission than my own. Hope it doesn't discourage any of them. Given the state of situation hopefully that user will just take them down on their on volition if they were serious about wanting to grow their web traffic they're hurting themselves drastically. That's my opinion on the matter.

I'm just a small time modder from TES 4

but this ... kind of a downer,,,

I thought that FO 4 or TES 5 is a good place to gather fortune, polling donation from people that appreciate modder's work... but...

after I read this, I believe there is hundreds, or maybe thousands, or maybe MORE !! outlaw user like this monsterhunter32

it could hurt modder esteem so much & break the creative mind (hatred effect --> heart burning out -- head evil out )

well...

how could modder enjoy such battlefield ? the hunt & search for piracy will be frequent and disturbing

I think...

I will stay and continue modding TES 4, it is much more peaceful there :smile: and passionate~

hhaha, my mod are so goods they were stolen loll

Being honest, there is little we can do about this particular matter, you can contact that website to let them know how you feel about the whole issue, but they can just ignore you or simply put, not even believe you.

There is, as far as I know, not a single foolproof system in place to prevent this kind of issue. And the internet is huge and always changing.

Such a system could exist in the future, we are starting to see how it is growing right now.

Because the only solution, in my opinion, is a way to digitally sign mods with digital certificates provided by certificate authorities. And then, the modeable games would have to implement a centralized system of mod and user validation, and then...

This is the actual situation of the requirement to digitally sign Windows 10 x64 kernel mode drivers with EV Certificates, this certificates cost a lot of money anually and even involve lawyers and having a registered bussiness. If you don't do it that way, Windows will not even try to load your drivers.

There are many steps required to really make sure modders are treated with the respect and recognition they all obviously deserve, but the world is filled with shady people, and so they all point in the direction of actually having to enforce them on all users.

So, for now, the only thing we can all do is to keep doing what we do, make mods, for whatever reason we might do it, and don't really bother ourselves with this problem, because there is really nothing we can do.

Unless you actually want to police the entire internet, and you have the time to check every single mod site, looking for uploads that might be infringing on your copyrights and making sure they all know you are always vigilant, demanding the recognition you deserve for your hard work. And you should be able to present undeniable evidence of your authorship, by the way.

Anyhow, this was me ranting about all this, thanks again payl0ad for giving me a heads up about "your files are gettiing stolen", for a moment you almost scared the bejesus out of me.

Regards, and happy modding.

Being honest, there is little we can do about this particular matter, you can contact that website to let them know how you feel about the whole issue, but they can just ignore you or simply put, not even believe you.

Wrong.
You can file a DMCA take down notice with their web host as I plan on doing. According to the WHOIS info the doityourselfnation.org domain registrant and host are located in the US. That makes a DMCA notice have a lot more impact than if it were hosted in someplace like Turkbackistan. The name server DNS looks like it's hosted on AWS (Amazon), but the tech contact is listed a Bluehost.
(you will have to enter a CAPTCHA to see the WHOIS contact info)
The registrant would seem likely to be the same "monsterhunter32" who is uploading the mods based on the Gmail account listed in the contact info.

You can file a DMCA take down notice with their web host as I plan on doing...

I'm not talking about this guy in particular, and the DMCA is so prone to abuse that using it is almost as bad as the guy himself.

Are you guys sure you want litigation to be your solution?

Truthfully I think stolen mods will be the least of his problems.

Some of the other content he is hosting is directly taken from:

Time Warner

Sony Pictures

Cartoon Network

Adult swim

Madman Ptd Lty

Dive Entertainment

Realistically it is just a matter of time before his site gets picked up for multiple DMCA infringements.

(Although personally I would like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and see how he responds to my request first.)

I don't think the site owner has malicious intent.

Creating a site intended to replace "YouTube, Amazon, Google, Spotify, Nexusmods" (Basically every large sharing service) sounds pretty gratuitous.

I believe the author may be a young person who isn't familiar with copyright law.

(They may think that because the mods are free, that the creator has relinquished ownership of the content.)

Regardless it is still a violation, I'd respect/support any legal action taken by other Creators to protect their property.

I would hate for the community to be damaged by a lack of engagement due to a site scraper promoting copies of the content over the original.

The interactions I've had with the people who use my mods are the main reason I've continued making them.

(Especially for the parts of the game; graphics/characters/mechanics I am not personally interested in.)

Hopefully we can resolve this specific episode without too much accentuation.

Cheers

- Fen