Stolen mods AGAIN...

payl0ad

Not meaning to necro this, but it continues. MonsterHunter32 now just links back to the Nexus front page and doesn't even mention the original authors names. Infuriating.

I'm actually disgusted that my name is mentioned there under a file, I did not give permission to upload there, it makes it seem like I signed that file. I want nothing to do with it, it is worse that my name is there in my opinion.

Also I have been against monetizing any of my content for almost a decade, I have turned down all payment offers I have gotten, It is disgusting to see money involved with my tiny mod, specially since it is based on the work of artist of Bethesda, it isn't even totally unique work from me, it is insane include monetization to something like that.

I have updated all my mods at Nexus and Workshop to inform any my mods downloaded outside these two sites are not from me, and I guess I have to do that with every new mod I publish now.

Funny thing is, I have mods that have near 20k unique active subscribers at the moment, and that person opted to take one mod, that is a sub-mod for a mod that has 300+ users, and my mod has like 60 unique downloads. Why even bother stealing something like that?

It seems random what gets stolen, wouldn't be surprised if it is a bot or something. There seems to be no pattern when I look the files uploaded by that person.

Rant over, thanks for informing this happening.

He or she seems to just scrape the new files every day. We published HARDCore in very early january and it was among the earlier files MonsterHunter32 uploaded. Meaning, it probably started around new years eve.

Edited by payl0ad

I actually did file a DMCA take down with AWS, then sent copies of it to the site owner: (Morris Pearson (as indicated in the WHOIS info) [email protected].

My two mods were gone from the site within the next 24 hours. I didn't notice a AWS response in my inbox until the following day. All it said was that the files I reported "have been taken down" with no indication if it was AWS that took action, or if they had already been removed when they went to investigate. I suspect my email with a copy of the DMCA notice was enough to spook the site owner and that it wasn't AWS. If anything, AWS now has documentation of the site's activities on record.

Oh yeah, seems like I got important enough to get my mods stolen as well:

I nearly got banned from here for saying this before, but its a real billion dollar corporate software executive quote that still amuses me: "at least they are bothering to steal our stuff, we'll figure out how to monetize later" :pirate:

I nearly got banned from here for saying this before, but its a real billion dollar corporate software executive quote that still amuses me: "at least they are bothering to steal our stuff, we'll figure out how to monetize later" :pirate:

LOL ! That's called a philosophical point of view. I should remember it...Not that my mods are that big to get stolen, but just in case ...It would not let me get upset.

Edited by kitcat81

That was a Microsoft executive talking about chinese users sometime in the early 00's. It did serve them somewhat well indeed but only because they actually managed to monetize it.

Our case is different though with no money involved.