NPC won't greet player with conditions in dialogue

RangerBoo

For some reason, my npc's won't greet the player with special greetings with conditions. For instance, the player kills Caesar and the npc, next time you talk with him, will comment on that. However he doesn't! I have the conditions right and the priorities are at 90 so I have no idea why the deal is. This is making me want to pull my hair out.

I'm not an expert in this, but a couple of things jump out at me as seeming pertinent.

1. The majority of the EditorIDs of the Topics begin with numbers. AFAIK, this causes the GECK to confuse them with FormIDs, and results in major problems. It should never be done with any EditorIDs you create, regardless of how or where used. A much better practice is the use the initials of the author or the mod name as the prefix in order to group things together. That is much more important than having them placed at the top of any list. (Every novice tries to have them sorted first by using prefixes like "AAA". Uniqueness to group them together is more useful.)

2. GREETING is only said once, upon the first time the player speaks with the actor. Something you need to bear in mind when testing. It won't get said after your first ever conversation with that actor. I think you probably want that to be a "Hello" type topic, under the assumption the actor won't initially know who the Player is until (presumably) identified during the GREETING. See 'TIP: Standard Dialog.' under "Dialog & Lip-sync" in the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

3. Use Priority to rank topics within a "level" ("Top Level" or "unchecked"). This goes from "1" as "considered last" to "100" as "considered first". However, from the GECK description I don't think Priority matters to GREETING. Think of your topics as the actor choosing an appropriate "situational" option by working through the conditions of each; a series of "IF ... ELSEIF ... ELSE ..." conditions. Only the first topic that has all of it's conditions "true" wins. The lower (numbered) priorities never get checked once a "winner" is found. Your conditions truly establish which gets used, so you can have several at the same Priority so long as their conditions can only all be "true" for only one of them. Consequently, treat Priority as a sort of "Gross Filter" to group sets of topics, and the individual conditions as the final determiner. But Priority is not going to override "conditions". It is only going to cause one set to be examined before another.

4. Your lowest number priority should have no conditions and be thought of as your "ELSE <all conditional tests failed>" topic. Typically this will be GOODBYE.

[Edit: clarification on "GREETING".]

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Its not working. I don't know that the problem is. I checked the mod in FNVEdit and there shouldn't be any problems. I have checked other dialogue in the GECK and there shouldn't be a problem with it. This only happens to greetings where there is conditions. Is this a bug with Win 10 as I have Win 10.

Edited by RangerBoo