What could cause mods to not show up in MCM?

jordangamer007

hey I've been having the same prob. My mods just don't show up. Instead my MCM is empty and nothing has happened. I've waited for about thirty minutes and still no response. Could be that my SKSE64 isn't working? I use vortex as my mod manager and it says it's installed SKSE64 but then when I hop into Skyrim se a message pops up saying skui issue. SKSE64 isn't properly running. Is there something else I need to to besides install it?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the problem that my MCM is not showing any mods and I tried to setstage thingy ma jig and it didn't. I've waited for like five minute's hoping it will load. Did any of you have to wait longer for it to load your mods, I'm asking because that might be the problem.

yes some mods take a while to show up dunno why. I've had to wait as long as a half hour for a mod to show up

One thing that can help for some mods with this sort of condition is

1. install said mod
  2. load game
  3. load save
  4. resave to new savefile
  5. close game
  6. reopen game
  7. open new save created in step 4

Some mods don't show up at all if a soft requirement isn't installed (but will show no sign of an error aside from never showing up, hence "soft") or there's some other un-documented mod contention.

For instance, some mods require a user to stick with SKSE64 2.0.17. If you keep those mod in your game (I do) and stick with 2.0.17 so it works, then, when you load a mod that requires 2.0.19, it will most often break the game (won't load), but sometimes it just results in certain things not working, like the "desired" mod's MCM.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My issue was this too (enabling plugins in Vortex). I manually installed the new Nemisis engine, then 360 movement + Combat Gameplay Overhaul then ran the nemisis update/build exe but the MCM wouldn't show up. Anyways sure enough in my plugins on Vortex were sitting there unenabled so just had to click them and boom everything works.

Jaxonz MCM Kicker is a bit of a duct tape solution for that problem. It doubles down on the scan for what mods have MCM integration but runs the second one after a delay to ensure that any stragglers from loading lag are caught.

A quote from the mod page:

Features

• Checks SKSE version and proper installation
  • Checks SkyUI version and proper installation
  • Fixes missing SkyUI MCM mod menus
  • Forces updates of SkyUI MCM mod menus
  • Politely waits for SkyUI and well behaved mods to do their thing first
  • Only runs at game load and then gets out of the way

You can find that here (Satisfying subliminal feeling of kicking the lazy, guilty mods included):
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/36801

There are absolutely better solutions, I'm sure, which are more based on a case to case scenario for what's causing the problem, but this particular mod has always been good for me. A staple for every modlist I've done since I found it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That plugins checking in Vortex is an interesting thing. I realised that, if any mod don't works, no new plugins appears there. Re-installing and re-enabling mod is helpless. Due to that MCM still loads only old, functional mods, even if I force it with console comand or MCM Kicker.
Any other ideas how to fix it?
Thanks and greetings.

Edited by Electroraptor

• 3 months later...

This may sound fundamental, good troubleshooting techniques always are, but have you attempted to remove all mods employing MCM, except for SkyUI, and then re-applying them one by one. My thoughts are: if SkyUI and its MCM are working correctly, then SKSE64 must be properly installed, meaning the issue is being caused elsewhere.

By (1) removing all MCM related mods from your load order, (2) validating SkyUI is functioning properly, and then (3) adding a solitary mod with MCM functionality, you'll be able to ascertain whether or not the issue persists. If so, then something is definitely askew and probably calls for a complete re-install of SKSE64 and related modules.

Sir, would you be the father of my children?

• 1 year later...

Hello there , i searched whole internet to find out the solution and Thanks to God i FIXED it , very Simple ! ( Vortex Mod Manager )

If you are like me , skip these 2 solutions i wrote to reach the main solution

2 solutions that may help some people that didn't help me , please try these First :

1. Open console command menu and type :

setstage ski_ConfigManagerInstance 1

This will reset skyui when you are ingame and it may be helpful.

2.start a new game to check out that would skyui read and recognize the missing mods or not?

If yes , the problem may be about your saved game and you should continue searching internet ( for some solutions like using LOOT and etc) or restart from the begining.

If no , stay with me :

The Main and Simple Solution which helped me :

I Recognized that when i'm using Vortex ( the mod manager i use and i don't know about others) , sometimes vortex installs and enables all mods but ,,, please Pay more attention: BUT IT WON'T enable their plugins !!

Vortex Solution: go and click on '❇Plugins' under 'Mods' on the left menu you always see in vortex.

Look at all plugins you have. And you may see some plugins of your mods still disabled ! ( grey color ) those missing Mods!

Just click on them and enable them manually. This was so so simple that i never saw that. I recommand you to restart your computer to make sure vortex will show you the truth that your game won't load these plugins. Thank you.

Sometimes , passing In game Time for some people helped their skyui to recognize their mods.

I never usually comment on forums. But i wished to help someone who got stuck on some thing so simple like this. like myself. Thank you so much.